Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Attn X10ers: What's next?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2012 02:25
Greetings,

I know this subforum doesn't see a lot of activity these days but I suspect we are all still floating around from time to time.

Like many of you all, I received an email from TGC today announcing the possibility of FPSC V2. I imagine some of you all have mixed feelings about this and yet other are having an odd sense of deja vu. Personally, I plan to support it despite these reservations.

I'm curious however, what have you all been up to in the meantime? Are you still making games and if so, what have you been using to create your games?

I'll start.

I've been making 2D games using the HTML5/WebGL IDE called Construct2. It's a blast and the developers and community are extremely active with updates coming out almost once a week. Recently we got shader support, .exe exporters, and native iOS and Android. My focus is for the web so the mobile platforms are less of a concern.

I've spent a fair amount of time with Processing (a java IDE for technically inclined artists). I still use processing for more novel applications - tangible musical user interfaces, motion tracking etc.

There is a 2.5D engine I have messed around with called Ethanon. You can create some stunningly beautiful visuals with their shader system (without ever using a single 3D mesh). Simply export a PNG, a normal map, and a spec map, and boom! The lighting system and particle systems are great. It is free but supported essentially by one charitable individual so...no certainty on its future.

Admittedly, I have missed working in 3D. I played around in 3DRAD a bit. This is a pretty cool environment - though it suffers from the same directx9 limitations as other engines out there. Also, it seems the community involvement/development has slowed a bit. However, it is free (and it uses .x meshes).

I've looked a bit at CopperCube which is a 3D development environment for the web..using HTML5 and WebGL. It is interesting though the quality of graphics leaves a lot to be desired.

So...enough about me. I want to hear from you.
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2012 07:48
never got such an email but Im interested to see how that would work out. fpsc x10 was not waste was bad in anyway. it open the minds of fpsc developers.weather its fpscx10 or x9. it was the same engine running under two different types of windows directX. fpscx10 down was vista. if fpscx10 was to be fpscv2 instead and use DX9 with the same features that fpscx10 had it would have got more attention.people are not made of money so they cant just upgrade and change OS like that.

but fpsc is not about what DX is use its about how the engine is created with it features. if anything I hope the new version of fpscv2 will become a 64 bit software. I know that most people still run there 32bit xp. but it time for a change 32bit is at it end. memory caps is become a pain for those who want to create levels with so much detail. windows 7 is at it best at being stable. 64bit software runs faster better than ever. dual core pc are cheap better graphic cards are cheap as well.

I would like to see the next version of fpsc to become a success.but I cant see that happen no time soon.as well as TGC. that why fpscv2 is still a maybe project. you cant sell a product that no one cant use. you would not make money from that. to put all that time into a new re written fpsc the work must pay off.TGC is about making useful software that we can use to develop video games.

in this case time will tell.but the way I look at it is fpscv2 should be for user with high end pc but with feature control so that even if a mid end user use the engine they can lower the engine to there level of pc.fpscv2 could be a $100 engine that way more advance then the fpscv120. there is so much that can be done here with a new fpsc engine. but it all have to be done right.

some added new feature can be.

DX control being able to choose which DX line you want to use.9,10,11.

fpscx10 slider method
instantly change

bloom effect
skybox
water effects
bloom on or off
change music volume
ambience
fog

other features

dual wielding
music change trigger
air mod stuff

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2012 08:10
I've stopped doing anything game design related, besides scripting for some friends within the community here and there. I was looking forward to the community game, but that's clearly died. I'd fund an FPSC 2, no doubt. I want something to grab hold of me again and put me right back in those awe-struck shoes of opening FPSC for the first time and seeing all the great stuff I could do. And I miss the community, really.

Cheesehead for life.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2012 21:37
Hi Guys,

I was very sorry to see X10 not being further developed I must say.

I have it and always thought it superior from what I had seen of it even though it did not contain apparently some of the original features envisaged for it. Instancing and so on seems like very valuable advantages to me

Though never actually used it first off as for a long time I did not have a computer powerful enough and with the specs to run it, then when I got one it died so still not used it.

I trust and hope that FPSC2 will eventually bring all FPSC users together again as one using one engine and that hopefully the best features of both V9 and X10 will somehow make it through to FPSC2.

That is if it ever becomes a reality when I will see you there.

mnemonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2012 02:49
Quote: "I was very sorry to see X10 not being further developed I must say. "

I liked it very, very much, and the editor had been shaped up with better editing possibilities.

But I stopped using it becouse of the above and concerning the engine it felt like moving back to FPSCX9 version 1.0.

Someone on this forum said a long time ago that it was a commercial failure. One possible reason I think was that it did not feature as much as X9 did when it was released. People were probably amazed by it's graphic capabilities.

I personally hope that FPSC2 will feature as much as X9 does now and will be HQ graphics like X10.

What I've been doing in the meantime. Playing around a little with FPSCX9, searching the net for other good engines. Written some code in DBpro, C++, C# with the XNA framework. Coding an engine of my own would be neat, but would take up so much time that I would have died of old age at the time it finishes :/

www.memblockgames.com
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2012 19:24
Thanks, all, for the input and I too hope that FPSC V2 becomes a reality. I wonder what the timeframe would be on such a development. I would guess at least 2 years but I've no idea.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
well they are probably going to work hard and fast on v2.

they know their way around multithreading, multiplatforms, languages,coding and fpsc and dbpro x10 etc.

so i actually reckon a year before a beta is released at the latest.

why?

they know the way around new codes through agk.
they know multi threading and new shaders x10.
they know special features through x9 and x10.
they have an x10 dbpro this will be different yet similar in ways of use.
so through this they have a template, that will speed things up.

but i may be wrong

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2012 19:29
From what I've been able to gather I believe they will be building it based off of the yet-to-be-developed Dark Basic Elite which will utilize directx 11. Not sure how that affects things but if that is indeed the path, DB Elite will probably have to be developed first (unless they have enough people on it to work concurrently).
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2012 19:58 Edited at: 26th Sep 2012 20:29
of course they will but a lot of code is written in x10 for streaming and multicore and instancing etc, all of which x11 has, and this has been done, a few tweaks will be needed but x10dbpro is done, and a lot of the headaches of x10 have been sorted. maybe need a few tweaks as x11 is improved and better, but x9 did not have the capabiltiy of x10 as in the multithreading etc. which had to be done from scratch hence 5 years in making or what ever it was. they have instancing they have multiplatform for things, new programs new physics and they have learnt so much, they have x9 mods they have most of the stuff done. just x10 engine is none friendly and x9 is dated. so it is mainly the engine is made from scratch for x11. but they have blue prints. hence i think will work quicker than previous engines.

so i think d.b. elite will be quick in the making as they know what works what does not.

as to the money up front. this is probably the failsafe so it does not fail like x10.

and people commit straight away to the project. and not leave the few who kept their words in limbo with an engine with so much potential, but microsoft have to take half of the blame for it too.

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 26th Sep 2012 21:54 Edited at: 26th Sep 2012 21:55
This may seem a tad off-topic, but did anyone notice that all the screenshots for FPSC on the main page seem to be from X10?

3DS friend code: 0044-2895-5474
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2012 21:59 Edited at: 27th Sep 2012 23:30
also note my screen shot is still no1 in the gallery for goodness knows how long, and with the most votes etc.

they should of stuck with x10, by now most would of crossed.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2012 16:47 Edited at: 27th Sep 2012 16:49
budokaiman,

Yes it has been quite clear for everyone to see.

X10 screen shots are very good visually are they not.

mnemonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2012 07:33
Quote: "X10 screen shots are very good visually are they not."

They are!

www.memblockgames.com
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2012 05:52
@budo

I noticed that... thought it was kind of strange to put screenshots of a discontinued product up on the page of another, less advanced one... but maybe that's just me...

Cheesehead for life.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2012 20:23 Edited at: 21st Oct 2012 20:24
Quote: "thought it was kind of strange to put screenshots of a discontinued product up on the page of another, less advanced one... but maybe that's just me..."

It is But then again, those shaderheavy X10 shots where much better than the X9 screenshots TGC had. I would have chosen to depict community screenshots but then again most community games are either: Horror / Scifi/ Mysteryadventures and the X10 screenshots are neutral and generic that way newcomers don't think that FPSC is constrained to a certain genre right away.

Concidering the effects and visuals displayed, you shouldn't have any problem to get these down in X9 if you put in some effort.

I'm writing a larger thread later this evening about Version 2 and wish to explain a variety of things and I hope you guys check it out and tell me what you think then

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
look forward to reading it wolf

Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2012 00:00
I shall read it as soon as I see it's up!

Cheesehead for life.
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2012 00:34
Thanks, Wolf! Look forward to reading.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:51:05
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:51:05