Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2012 06:37 Edited at: 24th Sep 2012 08:05

Concept by: Me and all the old school games I've ever played.
Concept date: 9/12

Goal: The goal is to create a simple game using FPSC and Dark Basic Pro. The finished game will be a light entertaining 3D maze running game.

Overview: Players will run through a 3D maze collecting colored balls while avoiding monsters.

Game Mechanics:
Monsters return to spawn point after hitting player.

After scoring a set amount of points on a level the player can advance to the next level.

Models:

Balls; Created and Textured in Bryce. Hoping to get this texture with its shiny plastic look to carry through to FPSC.

Editor View Level 1:
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2012 18:13
The name certainly got my attention, just because I wanted to see what you mean with "Balls the game", kinda was creeped out thinking what the game could be based upon... but anyways, you need in-game screenshots, and use the image button, above all the emoticons when you post, to make your images appear. And it sounds cool, like a first person Pacman?

Anyways, I think the maze looks ok enough for a project like this, but I would use some other segment. And I hope the mazes will vary enough, so that it's not just cheap excuses for different levels. Maybe try making some mazes a couple of levels high too, or make some secret pathways or something, activates by collecting a certain amount of balls (did I just say that?) or flipping a switch or something.

This would keep the game interesting for a longer time, still keeping it simple enough so that it doesn't lose it's charm.

maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2012 12:02
psssst.... ingame screenshot to stay to the boardrules.

loved pacman 2d (who does not ), liked pacman 3d a lot.

Anruth
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is my first attempt at bringing my ball model into the game. As you can tell I didn't have much success.

I think I need to use a shader. Never actually rendered anything in a game engine so it may take a few attempts to get the look I want.

Anruth
Years of Service
User Offline
Got my first segment done. Still needs tweaking, but pretty happy with the result. This basicly defines the feel I'm looking for in this game.

Used Firma v2. This was the easiest program I found to create custom segments. If anyone knows an better or easier one, let me know.

Also, played a little with scripting, think it will be something I can handle.

Still trying to get the "Ball" entity to look like I want without much success. Pretty much think I need to use a shader, but not sure how to create or apply one in FPS yet.

electric chihuahua
Years of Service
User Offline
I think this sounds fun! Taking the FPSCreator in a different direction. I like it. Looking forward to what you come up with.

The overhead view reminded me of the old tilt games.
born for game
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it a fpsc game ? Very nice.I wish I can have a try.

Anruth
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep, I'm using fpsc. I'm going to try and give the game a fun light feel.

I'm pretty new to FPSC and game creating in general. So things might be alittle slow till I get a good feel of how everything works. But I'll get there. This is something I really want to do.

Currently I'm trying to get the ball model to render right in FPSC.
I can't seem to get the shader to work. Just keeps rendering as a flat looking red circle.

I can post a .exe of the first maze, but all you can really do is run around. If that interests anyone.

Going to retexture a ramp, gantry, and some other segments this weekend. And of course try again to get the ball model to have the look I want.

Thanks for the comments and questions. Any help, encourement or even acknowlegement is greatly appreciated.
electric chihuahua
Years of Service
User Offline
Have you tried a light placement to see how the ball reacts as it passes under it? My give you the effect you need. Worth a try!
elbow
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Anruth

I like what you're trying. How about either placing a fpm for download or a video showing the game's flat balls and then someone might figure out the cause or a possible solution?

Eugene
kingofmk98
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2012 22:22 Edited at: 25th Oct 2012 22:22
Double Post Sorry

This man with long tail just popped out and said Spagett!... It was not scary, It was just abnormal.
kingofmk98
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2012 22:22
Quote: "flat balls"

Im sorry but LOL

This man with long tail just popped out and said Spagett!... It was not scary, It was just abnormal.
elbow
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I had to word it carefully
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2012 23:10
Looks great. Another puzzle type maze game.

You may want to consider your "100pt" balls to float, spin, and have a glow zone (similar to how the scifi weapons/ammo glow, spin, float). This way it sets them apart from the rest. Or make a "special" ball with this effect that might do something for the player (freeze the enemy monsters, etc).

Otherwise, I can see this game being addicting. Looking forward to the progress.

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 15:03
Can't wait to play with the balls, looks like a fun arcadey game

Slenderman's Shadow - Sanatorium
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199408&b=35
Pain
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 15:35
This also caught my attention as its named "Balls the Game"

Realy cant help but to laugh (not at the game) but at the coments being left. But that should be expected wehen you have a game named that.

The concept is great, the layout looks good. I think overall this is going to go well for you mate. I do hope to see more.

PAIN!

Me = noob

and i love The TGC : )
Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 16:06
Quote: "The concept is great, the layout looks good. I think overall this is going to go well for you mate. I do hope to see more."

I agree, so long as he doesn't balls it up, people will go nuts for it.

I'll stop now.

Slenderman's Shadow - Sanatorium
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199408&b=35
electric chihuahua
Years of Service
User Offline
Still thinking about your game. Looking forward to a video.

I think you need a subtle roughness added to your texture on your ball to catch the eye as it moves and the ball needs to be animated. Basically as it "tilts" a direction you want it to go and then a rolling animation as it goes forward. Again I think light placement as the ball races by will give you a workable effect. Does that make sense? Probably a shader alone would do the trick but I don't really grasp shaders well yet.

Have you made any progress?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 14:12:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 14:12:44