Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / [dark dynamix] using force to control an object

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2012 13:15
I've been playing around with the plugin for a bit now and I've come up with a problem I can't get my head around.

I'm trying to figure out how to move an object using forces but I want a sudden movement when its direction is changed instead of a nice curved movement at certain times. I've tried the various force types but they all seem cause a curve to appear sometimes when I change the direction.

Currently I have it set up so that when the direction is changed I use the linear velocity command for a short burst before switching back to forces but this sometimes can produce an undesirable effect when colliding with other physics objects it should not normally be able to move.

I'll try to post an example if no one gets what I mean

Any help would be appreciated
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 2nd Oct 2012 21:42
Character Controllers

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2012 10:40
Character controllers are not what I'm looking for I'm afraid, I need a way to suddenly change the direction of an actor using forces without the chance of the actor curving.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 3rd Oct 2012 12:59
Have you tried setting forces to 0.0 then change then increase?

The thing is the gravity is what affects the curving... even setting forces to 0.0 you still have the momentum taking action on gravity...

If that makes sense... that is why I suggested Character Controllers...

You can control precisely how and when they move...

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2012 16:03
Hi Chenak.

Is this for a character? If so then this was one of the motivations behind the development of character controllers, to give 'twitch' control which is more responsive. Although character controllers have their drawbacks.

Have you tried setting the linear and angular friction to a high value and using larger forces to move your actor? I would imagine that this would cause the actor to stop more suddenly when forces are not being applied leading to a quicker change in direction when needed.

It is not a good idea to change velocities yourself too often, unless you can get away with it.

Also, have you tried to change the force mode to 'impulse', this may help too since forces are applied over many frames I think, while impulses are not.

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2012 00:14
Thanks Matty using setting the dampening values for linear and angular forces solved the problem I think. I'll be posting most of what i've been working on in a separate thread

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:28:21
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:28:21