Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / This is unofficial off topic post about the current beta 108-AGK-You can discuss them here-

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2012 22:51 Edited at: 7th Oct 2012 02:14
I think there should be a separate thread then the main one since we are being committed out. So you know the purpose of this particular thread it does not mean that it will be read by any mod for suggestions on the beta version. I guess I might have been off topic in the beta version oh well. Know I have a feeling that no one wants to say anything about it. The fear of posting on the other post about the current beta might have got people scared.

The purpose of this particular thread is to inform the community that they can still post about V108 even though it is beta, and if you are scared to post in the other thread then you don't need to be afraid of posting issues. My impression is that AppGameKit will Iron out the beta in the coming months, and I do think that I might posted about the current version in haste. I think an unofficial topic about that issues that might be committed out would be something similar to this.

I think that it is great that they have Three-D commands and in-app purchases. The community also can contribute to the focus of what needs to be developed in the current version. What do other people think about the new commands. I currently have had no time to mess with the commands but they look quite useful.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2012 01:19
This is a nice place for people to put issues they are finding with v108 beta. I didn't mean in my other post that no one should post issues. I just wish that they would be discussed here before being posted in the Google issue board. Anything posted there as a bug is something that we Community Testers need to look at.

So, the google list should be the last place to post a problem, please.

Posting stuff here gives everyone a chance to comment and see if there is a fix. In the Google board, not everyone looks there and not everyone has a Google account letting them comment on stuff.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2012 09:10
I've downloaded and run the 3D demo. The walls at the end of the corridors don't appear until you get near them. Is that expected behaviour?

This is on a fast quad-core laptop with good AMD graphics.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2012 09:27 Edited at: 7th Oct 2012 09:42
I'm guessing the 3D commands still have some features to come. Like SetCameraDistance(). And many others that are obvious and not-so-obvious. I mean, why include a camera ID parameter unless you will be able to create new cameras?

My question is... how do the 3D coordinates relate to the world/screen coordinates in a percentage based display, and in a virtual resolution display?

At first glance, the 3D coordinates don't relate at all to either of these, which would make "write once, deploy anywhere" problematic at best, at least for apps that use both 3D and 2D features.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2012 13:56
Quote: "The walls at the end of the corridors don't appear until you get near them. Is that expected behaviour?"

My best guess is that the camera range, as Rich says, is quite limited to improve performance. As devices get faster there will be scope for bigger ranges, but I'm sure it must be configurable.

Quote: "why include a camera ID parameter unless you will be able to create new cameras?"

These will already be required for shaders, and hopefully made available to coders to do other fancy thngs.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 8th Oct 2012 02:35
Quote: "At first glance, the 3D coordinates don't relate at all to either of these, which would make "write once, deploy anywhere" problematic at best, at least for apps that use both 3D and 2D features."

With 3D [and this is likely one reason I find it easier than 2D] the 'aperture' of the 'viewport' IE... the screen that players see... is like the view you see when watching a DVD movie... the black borders control the view aspect...

In short my point is... with 3D the screen is irrelavent unless you are using menu items... which then returns to X,Y, coords... but then yeah % would likely be the way forward there...

But even having said that... your view port would still be in pixel form one way or another... so you would simply devide by that number [yes Menus are not my strong point ... yet]...

Ugh I leave it for others to debate... just wanted to tag in here as AppGameKit 3D + Video is what I have been waiting for...

Oh and regarding the distabt walls... I noticed current 3D games on say Android actually seldome have distant corridoors or distant objects... if they do I think there is some degree of optimisation going on... say increase camera range on the fly... or some form of culling...

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2012 20:25
Sorry, I know I'm resurrecting this thread a bit, but as far as I can tell, this is still the only bugs thread for the V108 beta, right?

To cut to the chase, the problem I've been having is with a custom bitmap font I made. It seems to work in V106 but in V108, all I get is blank squares. I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this or could test it for me?

I've attached a project that demonstrates this issue and includes the bitmap font assets.

One thing that concerns me about this is that other bitmap fonts I have are still working fine in V108. It is only the one I made by hand that seems to be a problem. However it does work in V106 and I really can't see what I've done wrong so... I'm kind of stumped.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If this is a bug, I'll head over to the issues board and post it but I'd like to get your opinions on this first. Thanks!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2012 22:37 Edited at: 28th Oct 2012 22:38
do you have the text file that tells agk where the characters are on the image?
It also tells the size of the font.

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2012 09:46 Edited at: 29th Oct 2012 09:47
Quote: "do you have the text file that tells agk where the characters are on the image?"

Hey Cliff. Yes I have the subimages file. Its contents is as follows:

I was kind of guessing what these numbers should be from looking at other bitmaps fonts. I've done it on the basis that the format is:

ascii code:x:y:width:height

Is that correct? Thanks.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 13:45:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 13:45:03