Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Fix the agk android sandwich bugg the easy way ( framerate issues ).

Author
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2012 19:03 Edited at: 9th Oct 2012 19:27
I only wanted to share my latest discovery about the dreadfull agk performance bugg .

I found the issue to be the size of the sprite that weirdly enough drained the cpu and made some pretty weird app shutdowns.

We cant our self recode agk to fit all the resolutions off all the android devices and versions.

And wath are the fix do you wonder?

Instead of using a sprite that covers the whole screen for a background!
Use a sprite in the half size of the screen and instead zoom in so the sprite covers the whole screen.

During my experiments so jumped the framerate from 30 - fps to 52 fps on a single image i experimented on.

If anyone else that have an sandwich device that hogged your agk app also could test this and see if it works there also so i can get it confirmed.

I only have one of my android devices that worked this way and hogged or crashed agk apps to test this on.

Edited..........
My speculations is that it is somewath conected with the screen resolution of the device.

Edited .........
Dont mind as it is back to the same again.............

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2012 16:07
If you use a background image, HUD and allot of sprites, the total rendered pixels will be 2-3 times the pixels the screen can fit, and some devices just cant handle that amount of pixels, and keep a high frame rate. The optimal is that no sprite overlaps, then all devices will run at max FPS, but is mostly impossible to implement, so if you can get under 2x the number of pixels on the screen, most devices will run fast enough.

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I already use a zoom feature in Moon Snaker to try to keep different resolutions looking similar on each device. I have a lot of sprites on screen at once which is the main problem. It ran better when it only supported one set resolution, but for iphone that is not allowed, so I had to change it to support several resolutions. Which caused slowdown on my device never mind the newer ones! Zooming did speed it up a little, but on the newer OS it still struggled. Memory issues I think, as you pointed out on my thread.

I also have set the game to drop to 30fps when playing now rather than 60, and that hopefully should have stopped most slowdowns, but as yet I have not managed to test on a newer android device.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 17:31:27
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 17:31:27