Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Sports Fiction ®

Author
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2018 22:10
Thanks for letting us know.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2018 14:53
At this current stage I am implementing the new geometric-hardware based instancing system by Revenant Chaos which dramatically improves the performance of DBPro's rendering system.

Three of the most major components of Sports Fiction are the behavioural A.I. system, the comic strip and a new feature which will expand the range of experiences and possible strategies in Sports–Fiction's range of battle sports and arena.

The work on this final piece of the puzzle commenced a month ago and is showing promising results. I have decided to reveal what the feature is in the actual pre-alpha release and its supporting video footage.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2018 14:43
Glad you're still working on this.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Arbrakan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2018 21:21
Great news !
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2018 10:30
It has been a painful challenge; but thanks to your therapeutic support, I have almost made it, almost made it half way up the mountain.

At the half way point (after spending my personal cash on the necessary server equipment and an internet connection great enough for the demand) I will finally be able to be able to begin the more interesting part of the journey, where the concept and state of the game will no longer have to be kept secret.

The next journey up to the top of the mountain in 2019 will be based on player feedback, research, improvement, expansion and support on other platforms, the latter of which did not seem possible before.

For now, during what tends to be the best time of year for getting things done, I will hopefully complete this new system, which is of a very interesting subject of gaming. There are a wide variety of battle arenas and battle royale games; on top of sports, behavioural A.I. and comics, Sports Fiction must have an area of speciality within those genres.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2018 13:42
Got to say, that it would be a great victory for us (and Lee) to see such an epic game made with DBpro. Happy coding.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2018 12:40
It would be lovely indeed. I hope that it inspires a Direct X 12 upgrade project.
Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2018 11:05
I am glad that things are going so well. Indeed a DirectX 12 upgrade project would be nice and maybe another official Dbpro upgrade as well, although i doubt about the second. Still i feel that i owε a lot to Rudolpho for his 9Ex upgrade.
Chris you mentioned support on other platforms. Now that will be an achievement for a DBpro based project! Are you talking about other operating systems or maybe consoles?
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2018 18:42
Some consoles and platforms implement Direct X, others Open GL. DBPro would only work on a Windows based system straight out of the bat, but can provide the necessary back end features to connect with Open GL / Direct X clients on any platform using the server-client/cloud computing models.

For offline games, a full port would be required; perhaps to AGK.

Another thing that could be done is to create a Visual Studio extension for DBPro; being able to create DBPro applications in Visual Studio would enhance the development experience greatly. Sadly do not have the time to create it, but the opportunity is available through 'custom languages' and tools.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2018 13:29
Update

I am currently optimising the server based in the UK, and the required net-code which will be used to host a closed pre-alpha release of the game environment and a number of test sports. It will be desirable for the server to run at as sufficient a frame rate as possible, with the network code optimized well enough testing and reliable feedback. For a desirable experience, the flow and feel of character movement must be organic and consistent.

After a few days of optimization, I will be working on the client which will represent the local copy of the game for the player. This will implement the character and environment rendering system, the audio effects, comic UI and the new game feature I recently started implementing. It is being kept as streamlined as possible for improved reliability and resource efficiency.

I am planning to host the gaming environment for a number of hours for each designated session, along with access to test sports, and a few story arcs. Each subsequent pre-alpha closed release will run on the limited hardware and connection I can afford, and will be improved based on the performance and feedback. Screenshots and footage will be provided at the pre-alpha phase, and during each subsequent release.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2018 13:36
great news. can't wait to see some screen shots.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2019 01:06
Greetings.

I had 2 months off to dedicate my time to preparing the game for testing which started off pretty well. Then I experienced problems. The server app code which is based on two DBP apps and a .NET CLR application was causing major lag spikes due to background process called 'Garbage Collection'. This is a memory management thread found in Microsoft CLR based applications which organizes managed code objects into a number of generations step by step to be later removed to free up memory. It is taking quite some time to work through so much code to optimize this process (amongst other things).

I have a choice to complete this and either skip working on my level editing features for a later version of the game and make do with simple game levels for now, or proceed as planned and implement the ability to manipulate aspects of the level from the very first release. The little child in me wants to skip and get straight to the part where I put out a release; but my heart is telling me to be patient and put out the game I designed the way it is intended to play.

I will see how it goes with the memory management on the server, and will then decide whether to skip the level editing facility, or implement it before first release.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2019 22:05 Edited at: 14th Apr 2019 22:11
So having started my new day job and having just completed software and web sites for some clients after a few months away from Sports Fiction, I have officially levelled up into a legit C# programmer, and can work with Word Press template development with PHP. These new skillsets will prove useful.

A little bit of history about me would indicate that I first learned QBasic, then Visual Basic, then Dark Basic, then HLSL then PHP, then VB.NET and now C# with a little bit of Regular Expressions, and various HTML5 principles.

Working on this project has also helped me develop other skills, particularly server development and management with Ms SQL Server and Visual Studio, which brings us to the topic of discussion and my next mission.

Back in December 2018 right up until January 2019 I ‘attempted’ to take complete the pre-release game and start a YouTube channel about the game, but this fell flat. It was due to what was discussed earlier this year; too many lag spikes from the server; which happens to not be related to the Dark Basic application on the client side.
At first in December I was planning to implement a new terrain system based on the fantastic hardware instancing tool, and here are some screenshots of the work, from the early roots of the prototype to were I am now. Do you notice something familiar?

Some of you would have noticed immediately that this concept is based on the kind of stuff used in Minecraft, called voxels, where the terrain and various entities in the world are organised into a grid, similar to the pixels on your screen, except that voxels are arranged in 3D space, rather than 2D.

These are more complicated than what is used in minecraft because we are going to be smoothing things up and making things look more realistic and comic book like.

Sadly, my journey was cut short in mid December when I attempted to play fight the A.I. in the version of the game I was planning to showcase and provide access for. The focus in December was simply filling up the void. I will be working on improving the resolution, looks and editability after the first pre-alpha.

The lag coming from memory management and garbage collection was causing things to look really bad. So that’s where the voxel system was left. I will in future decide whether the voxel system will be on the client or server side. It seems it will depend on performance and ease of implementation.

So in the next chapter of this journey, starting from this month, I will attempt to tackle the game breaking issue and get rid of what is causing the lag spikes. A long job, but I much prefer it to be a problem now when no one has it installed, I will get back to finishing my voxel terrain so that there isn’t void belief my buildings, and move forward towards the many plans for the game.

Looking forward to seeing what happens next.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2019 19:34
thanks for the updates Chris. Sounds like you got your hands full.
gamer, lover, filmmaker
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2019 20:48
Very full, very full.

Things are starting to improve on the performance side, after optimising the engine, should be working on the actual game quite soon. Most frustrating 4 months of the project, and it does not help that I am in the middle of changing jobs.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2019 06:16
7 years in development...I gotta say, your commitment to this project is inspiring to say the least! Looking forward to the next update.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2019 20:06
Woah, lovely to see you posting here. Sometimes one can neglect who might be observing way down here in the cave of struggle.

This has been a 9 year on-and-off part time commitment, but a commitment it certainly is and will continue to be.

2 years prior to making the thread was spent coming up with ideas of what kind of game and subject matter to deal with. Most of the work was done in the past 2 years to be honest.

The past 5 months being the worst thus far, May has been a continuous Brexit negotiation distraction, June will be a month of focus on Sports Fiction - pun most certainly intended.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2019 04:03
Wow 9 years! Even better.

I think the step allot of people skip when producing a game the most is the pre-production phase. Sounds like you were thorough. cheers!
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2019 11:55
I wanted to make sure I work on something I would enjoy playing, and working on for a long time.

What are you working on now?

This month I have been back into the daily development grind. It feels good to be working on the game again.

The performance is being improved, currently optimizing how entities are rendered; essentially aiming to have more GPU based calculations and have 2 or 3 objects to represent the visual, collision and optimisation of 1 square kilometer of the game world. Whether you exclude or not, the object count will limit the performance of the thread running your DBP process. For the past year Sports Fiction was using 2 DBP processes, this month I am introducing a 3rd for exclusively optimising and converting architecture geometry data and terrain data from cache to active objects.

There is a lot to squeeze in now with the voxel terrain, which itself is a good way to chunk the building systems into optimised rendering and collision hierarchies.

From this point onward I will also be learning more about AppGameKit so that from a year from now I can start working on a mobile viewport client for phones and tablets. I do not know whether I'd be best using AppGameKit or Unity for that client, but I will let the tests and research decide.

As for the main cause of lag, garbage collection, I am refactoring the multithreaded .NET process to make more use of the stack with local variables and structures over classes for small chunks of data.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2019 10:20
Minor update.

The executables and the project have been refactored for more flexibility for memory and thread management. During this month I have been working on the terrain and buildings which for the most part will use parts of the grid system and aspects of vector based and point based entities. This is the current focus for bringing the visuals up to standard. After completing a small game for a client, I will be using the extra time to focus on this project throughout this month and September.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2019-08-19 08:27:47
Your offset time is: 2019-08-19 08:27:47