Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] Bath Salts - The Game

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2012 08:39 Edited at: 9th Dec 2014 23:32

Developer: Teabone

Story
In the wake of a new type of drug (street name: Bath Salts), the once civilized world falls victim to the uncontrollable addictive nature of it. Widely popularized for its dangers to physical and mental health, the drug became popular among the drug addicts and thrill-seekers due to its popularity in the media. Junkies addicted to the drug have gained a resilience to pain, enraged with adrenalin and cannibalistic tendencies; an appetite for the human flesh. The drug has created a new type of threat to all cities world-wide.

As the government tries to quarantine the addicted, the public becomes divided in opinion with the action. The majority of society wishes to have the addicted kept off national land, away from the general public, a few even want the addicted executed. For they believe they are no longer human-beings and only a danger to the people. The coalition Against The Addicted is a activist group known as C.A.A. that wants to see the addicted gassed. Some members have even tried hunting down the infected and killing them off, themselves.

The second half is a human rights activists' group known as "We Are All People" also known as W.A.A.P. As the addicted are contained while scientists work towards finding out a cure. The two groups C.A.A. and W.A.A.P. collide in protests against one another and the government.

Scientists scramble to find out the chemical compounds of the type of Bath Salts which seems to generate preeminent damage and ever-lasting effects which originally were only short-term. The damage to the brain is severe. In most cases the addicted are no longer able to communicate or talk. They are simply reduced to a primitive beast; enraged with adrenalin and the hunting nature of a predator. They have no way of being cured it seems. The scientists, biologists and chemists work together to finding out if the damaged caused by Bath Salts is repairable.

Meanwhile W.A..A.P. was a group in support of the governments movement to inprison the addicted into mental asylums. However rumors have spread that within these facilities scientists are using these addicted as lab rats to find a cure. Opening them up and seeing how the drug works. Essentially barely keeping them alive, just enough to find out what they need to get from them.

When members of W.A.A.P. found out about this rumor they quickly lobbied for the proper protection of the addicted and protest for the protection of their lives and well being as human beings.

The C.A.A. finding out about the rumors, maintains their ground in the eradication of the addicted. They claim its a waste of tax dollars to find a cure and to just eliminate the problem.

Pro-BS is a group that lobbies for the use of bath salts. They claim that there has never been any defiant proof that Bath Salts is the cause of the zombie-like attacks in the cities. However their very own leader becomes addicted to the drug and becomes one among the addicted. This early group later becomes a grouping of addicted among the mod of addicted on the streets. Armed and enraged by Bath Salts.

Screenshots:

( More screenshots to come. Also note that concept may change over time. )

Video Link (Alpha Test)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VBllb3lHJo

Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/bathsaltsthegame

(Teabone)
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2012 09:47
the best justification for a zombie game ever. congratulations.

sic1ne
Years of Service
User Offline
lmao bath salts heheh!!!

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
I feel slightly offended by the title, people died in real life or were put in danger of death because of this drug.

------
BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2012 22:24
You sir... Are a damn genius, and I applaud thee.

"I think I'm getting the 'Black Lung,' pop."

"Derrick, you've been down there for one day."
Omegamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2012 22:55
Bath salts, worst thing I tried in my life.

Great idea!
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2012 23:46
Yeah dude kudos to you for putting an original twist on an unoriginal genre! Looks great too!

[/href]

++New Products Being Uploaded++
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 25th Oct 2012 23:12 Edited at: 25th Oct 2012 23:13
Quote: "I feel slightly offended by the title, people died in real life or were put in danger of death because of this drug."

It's a first person shooter. You know, like with guns and killing people. I see your point though, certainly the title is more offensive than the killing.

"Armed and enraged by Bath Salts."

You gotta love it!

Brian.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot. Maybe you could package this game with a box of Bath Salts as like a bonus.

!retupmoc eht ni deppart m'I !pleH

Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 22:30 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2012 21:12
I've decided to go with this concept in response to the media's representation of the drug. Since the Miami cannibal case whereas a man "chewed another man's face off" -- the media was quick to lable the act as a result of the drug Bath Salts. When in fact after toxicology reports came back, he wasn't on the drug at all.

So basically im creating a universe that the media was attempting to create. I guess everyone wants to believe in a bit of folklore and in this case its the closest we have come to creating a near-realistic explaination for zombies

skeeter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2012 10:40
I laughed so hard when I read this. I will definitely play this game

windows 7 ultimate 64bit, AMD FX 4170 Quad core 4.2ghz, ASUS Radeon HD7770 1GB overclocked, 8gb 1866mhz ram, western digital caviar black 1T mech drive
not danny wegman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2012 20:51
Quote: "I feel slightly offended by the title, people died in real life or were put in danger of death because of this drug."

they make games on WWII. real people died there too.

this is a genius idea.
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2012 00:33
Came here expecting one of the most laughable FPSC games of all time.

I was completely right, but in the best way possible. This is amazing. I'll definitely be following the progress of this one.

Cheesehead for life.
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2012 21:07 Edited at: 7th Mar 2013 04:23
The effects of anemia made people believe in vampires. If you think about what anemia did for vampires. I'm taking what bath salts did for zombies. The histaria makes the folklore a bit more believable.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2013 17:58
Posting to unlock.

-Keith

Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2013 09:11
Thanks Keith, I plan to post more information soon on the progress.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2014 19:16
Posting to unlock again.

-Keith
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2014 09:32
Yeah I think saw this in the FPSCR forum a few months back. It looked pretty good!

Judging what we see is the greatest blinder and self-limiter in the universe.

What we perceive is never reality. It is only a story we tell ourselves based on our current perspective, which has far more to do with our beliefs about ourselves than with anything else.
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2014 01:29 Edited at: 9th Dec 2014 23:24
Hey everyone! Just wanted to update that I've been working hard to spend more time optimizing each stage to make room for more shaders and interactive elements.

I've been very lucky to be in touch with so many musically talented people. I have an awesome pianist in mind to help produce the main score for the game.

I will be posting more screenshots in the weeks to come! Feel free to join us over on our facebook for more up to date information.

Like Bath Salts - The Game on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/bathsaltsthegame

(Teabone)
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2014 02:01
Yay good music!

Don't waste your life

Pristine Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
The likelihood of needing another musician is probably low, with a pianist (Someone who actually knows how to play one of those things is a god) but I thought I'd raise a hand for my outrageous music for the outrageous game.
I'll attach an mp3 of a heavy/electronic song I did as an example. If not I can smash some watermelon and cellery in front of some mics for some custom gore sounds, or just soundfx in general.
Working on projects is just fun to me so I'll take any requests, and quickly.

Call me Eric

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2014 23:25 Edited at: 9th Dec 2014 23:35
Very nice work Pristine Studios, I currently have quite a few people on board at the moment (here's one). If needed I will contact for sure as we know people don't tent to stick to projects that are on-going. Also I haven't narrowed down the actual theme of the game yet. So am pretty open to different types of music.

Right now I'm working on scripting more of the environmental effects. This includes visual and sound effects. I'm intending to replace all FPSC stock sounds so that the game sounds more unique than what would be expected from a typical FPSC game.

With that said, I also intent to add some more custom media of my own into the mix. Various objects, texture swaps and shaders.

I should mention there has been a slight concept change. Originally I was going to make it where you can choose which faction to play on. Due to the limitation with FPSC in terms of levels, I've decided to keep the game more linear.

(Teabone)
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2014 21:00
Having a bit of troubles adding my own normal and spec maps to some of the stock segments and getting them to work correctly. I've even changed the original textures to DDS and updated the segment data files. hmm there must be something I'm missing because they turn white or black in game.

(Teabone)
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Teabone, I'd like to see some screenshots of the work you've been doing... if you don't mind of course. I'm sure all of us are curious to see how the game is coming along.

The Birds - A narrated adventure.
Diablo Chateau
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2014 10:54 Edited at: 28th Dec 2014 11:00
Hey Astech most of the work I've been doing lately has been related to getting the shaders to work correctly with the segments. I've not been completely successful at this yet. If you or anyone else knows what is the most stable version of FPSC? I'm thinking of downgrading as I've been experimenting with several mods I've been using.

Beyond that technical stuff I've been reworking the maps some more and the pickups:

The first weapon you will get in the game is a lead pipe as opposed to an assault rifle. I think that really did take away from the survival aspect of the game having you start out completely overpowered than the engaged bath salt infected. Beating them up with a lead pipe a lot more fun and challenging

I intent to add better impact sounds, varied between the different melee weapons you use.

(Teabone)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Tall Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2014 17:05 Edited at: 28th Dec 2014 17:17
On my computer, anything over 1.15 crashes upon startup and is therefore completely unusable. So apparently, 1.16 was a major change. My video card cannot handle shaders, so perhaps it's related?

Judging what we see is the greatest blinder and self-limiter in the universe.

What we perceive is never reality. It is only a story we tell ourselves based on our current perspective, which has far more to do with our beliefs about ourselves than with anything else.
Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2015 15:47 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2015 15:53
If anyone has experience with shaders and segments let me know. Its been a hit or miss trying to get them to work. Can't tell if its an issue with my FPE setup or the use of DDS.

(Teabone)
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the screenshot. I do want to make some criticism here however. You seem pretty reliant on stock media to give a general "FPSC look". This in-itself isn't terrible but perhaps... if I could suggest... maybe you'd want to take some time to make it yours? By yours I mean, a mix of assets that sets it as its own universe and game. AmenUs is a real good example of that. Search for "AmenUs" on IndieDB.com and download the demo. His game feels like FPSC but yet he does it in a right way.

You can use stock media to a good measure if you really try but you have to go out of the way somewhere and just slapping shaders over something is only the first step in the journey (shoot, I barely use shaders myself so that is also a design choice).

Good luck on your project and take my words in a friendly gesture.

The Birds - A narrated adventure.
Diablo Chateau
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2015 00:10
@Teabone

If you are having trouble with segment shaders you might want to give Nomad Mod a try as this installs with an example map and everything already setup for you. You can point the installer to another instance of FPSC if you don't want to install on your main setup.

You can send me an email or private message if you need any help to get your textures working with the segment shader.

Teabone
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2015 23:58 Edited at: 18th Jan 2015 00:03
Quote: "Thanks for the screenshot. I do want to make some criticism here however. You seem pretty reliant on stock media to give a general "FPSC look". This in-itself isn't terrible but perhaps... if I could suggest... maybe you'd want to take some time to make it yours? By yours I mean, a mix of assets that sets it as its own universe and game. AmenUs is a real good example of that. Search for "AmenUs" on IndieDB.com and download the demo. His game feels like FPSC but yet he does it in a right way.

You can use stock media to a good measure if you really try but you have to go out of the way somewhere and just slapping shaders over something is only the first step in the journey (shoot, I barely use shaders myself so that is also a design choice)."

I do intend to use my own assets for sure, just trying to get a few things working first. I'm unable to get normal and spec maps to work for segments. Once I get that ironed out it would be an easier template way for me to introduce my own walls, floors and ceilings. The test is so very alpha at the moment. A lot of the props you see will be replaced with a lot of my own media. I actually really do love modeling. I also pay huge attention to sound design so a lot will change once I get past a couple hurdles.

Basically trying to get the core look of things working before I can really start going nuts on textures and alike. For instance I'm unsure why the DDS normal maps and spec maps turn my walls black :/

Quote: "If you are having trouble with segment shaders you might want to give Nomad Mod a try as this installs with an example map and everything already setup for you. You can point the installer to another instance of FPSC if you don't want to install on your main setup.

You can send me an email or private message if you need any help to get your textures working with the segment shader."

Thanks Nomad I'm going to take a look at your mod tonight. Very pleased to see the community still active! I just checked out your video for the mod and i must say the segments sure do look great.

(Teabone)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 13:32:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 13:32:41