Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK with VC++ 2010 Express...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2012 13:03 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2012 13:04
So, much like many people, I've encountered problems compiling a blank AppGameKit template project in VC++ 2010. (I like C++... I don\'t like the environment...)

After a bunch of messing with the Linker and Project Settings and everything else VC++ decided was wrong with the universe... I gave up and came to the forums looking for help. Searched up a ton of topics about people having issues, but no one seemed to have the same issues as I\'m having.

So here\'s the compiler output, NOT in its entirety because the forum won't let me post a message that long apparently, in hopes someone can tell me why the AppGameKit lib is hitting so many problems during link time.

If I set \"Ignore all default libraries\" to \"No\", this is what I get.

This one is actually about 1/200 the size of the previous one, but has an extra lib gumming up the works.

What's going on? I'm at my wit's end.

. . . Also, please ignore extra backslashes in this post, the forum put them there when the first attempt failed.

[EDIT]

I'm using AppGameKit Trial, btw. Just thought I'd mention that in case it was important.

~Plystire

A rose is only a rose until it is held and cherished -- then it becomes a treasure.
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2012 13:08 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2012 13:10
Which version of AppGameKit are you using? If you're using v108 beta then you'll have to wait until the next beta since the current one doesn't work with VS 2010.

If you're using v1076 try downloading one of Ancient Lady's templates.

And here's a video on how to setup the templates. If you're using AL's templates just skip to the bit where the header files are included (about 1:15) and go from there.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2012 13:33
Well, that's progress... here's what happened.

For your question, I'm using V1076.

I downloaded AL's templates, followed instructions in the video, hit F5, and everything seemed to compile just fine... I was then presented with a message box stating that debug information for template.exe couldn't be found and asked if I wanted to continue or not. At that point I realized that I was in Release mode, and had used the Dbug libraries in the linker... so I changed the mode to Debug, redid the project properties as per the video. I went to compile and was greeted with a ton of linker errors. That's pretty much the story of my original post, but for the sake of completion I'll post the compiler log in a code snippet at the bottom for review.

Moving on, I then changed the mode to Release since it seemed to have better luck than Debug mode... changing the linker library to use the Release directory this time, I was able to compile and run the application! Granted I was still given the popup about no debug info for the executable, but at least I was able to see Hello World in a window, so at least that's progress. Thank you for that. I will have to give my regards to Ancient Lady sometime as well for those templates.

As promised, the compile log for Debug mode:

~Plystire

A rose is only a rose until it is held and cherished -- then it becomes a treasure.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2012 01:33
Are you sure that your library path is to:
AGK\IDE\platform\windows\Lib\VS2010\<Release or Debug>

And not to
AGK\IDE\platform\windows\Lib\<Release or Debug>

This makes a big difference.

In theory, the template I posted for VS 2010 Express should run without any other changes (no need to do the stuff in the video).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2012 02:59
Hello, Ancient Lady.

Yes, the lib path is set to the VS2010/Debug folder (in Debug mode).

~Plystire

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2012 05:41
Quote: "In theory, the template I posted for VS 2010 Express should run without any other changes (no need to do the stuff in the video)."

Is that with the assumption that the parent AppGameKit folder is in Program Files\The Game Creators ?

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2012 16:22
I think people have discovered that my template is using relative directories. But it is easy enough to change the directory references in the project properties. I do suggest that anyone using the template check the directories for AppGameKit libraries and includes.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 21:20:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 21:20:13