Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Need some more info on AGK before committing

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 21:38
Hi all,

I haven't checked the Game Creators stuff since a good 10 years. Hearing about AppGameKit, I thought the concept is pretty neat and on a whim, I bought it and ordered the book with it.

Still, before I spend too much time with it, I would need a few more info regarding AGK.

- I see there's an OS X installer. Does that mean I can use AppGameKit IDE on Mac instead of Windows? Anybody uses it successfully that way?
- I plan on developing using Tier 1 (I'm a C# guy with nearly no clue about C++). Are iOS specific things like Game Center possible to implement?
- Anybody has submitted successfully a game made with AppGameKit 1082 to the Apple App Store? Am I better off with AppGameKit 1076 until 108 is not beta anymore?
- I seem to remember that in my DBPro days, a frustration I had was that I needed to have all my code within one source file. Does AppGameKit support some kind of "include" of external source code files?

Thanks for your answers and your time! Looking forward to be playing with AGK.

There are only 10 kinds of programmers - those who understand binary, and those who don't.
PaulTR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2012 23:11
I'm actually in the process of getting everything moved over to a Mac and haven't done anything with iOS yet, so I won't be able to help you with that, but:

There's an OSX install file on the download page right under the Windows one. It lets you use XCode with AGK.

Yes, AppGameKit works with including files. On my Windows machine where I tested AppGameKit, I was able to create classes use AppGameKit functions within those classes as well as in the main file.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
AGK T1 is Windows only. You can use it on MAC under Virtual Windows Emulation.

v108 Interpreter on iOS works fine. It's the Windows VS2010 one that doesn't compile yet.

You can INCLUDE files in T1 too.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2012 20:28
Quote: "I see there's an OS X installer."

As PaulTR said, it is not an installer, just a zip file to get the directories working. There are no AppGameKit executable elements for Mac/iOS. You build the Tier 1 apps directly (sort of) using the byte code file created by your Windows AppGameKit IDE and any media you use.

Quote: "Anybody has submitted successfully a game made with AppGameKit 1082 to the Apple App Store?"

I sincerely doubt it, there are still too many issues with v1082.

Quote: "Am I better off with AppGameKit 1076 until 108 is not beta anymore?"

You are definitely better off with v1076. The v1082 beta is actually closer to an alpha release and is not really ready for doing production level stuff (people are having issues with some basic things).

Quote: "Does AppGameKit support some kind of "include" of external source code files?"

Yes, the syntax is pretty much what you'd expect:

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
MrBlack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2012 07:09
Thank you for the answers!

There are only 10 kinds of programmers - those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 10:17:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 10:17:39