Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / help for AGK testing team - crashed on Google Nexus 7

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2012 17:57
Hi,
I have got a complain from a customer of my app The Black Hole. He says that the app frequently crashes, especially when changing level or pressing NEW or CONT button at the end of the game.
The app has been recently rebuilt with AppGameKit 1.076, but crashes continue.
The customer's smartphone is a Nexus 7.
On my Samsung Galaxy Gio crashes happen, but very rarely. On Windows, never.
May I post privately the apk in order you can test on your devices? I could send the entire project, if you prefer.
The customer is interested in developing with AppGameKit, too.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2012 18:01
this is the stack trace posted by the customer:
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2012 20:37
MarcoBruti, I have a Nexus 7 (which isn't a phone, just a nice tablet). If you want to mail me the apk, I will test it. (I enabled my forum email link again.)

I can also test it on a couple of other Android tablets to see if they have an issue.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2012 21:10
done! And thanks a lot!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2012 22:57
Well, it took a bit to figure out how to play. The buttons were very non-obvious.

When run on my Toshiba 7" Thrive (Android 3.2.1), it did not crash (tried with and without music).

On my Nexus 7 (Android 4.1), with music, it crashed fairly quickly. Without music, it did not crash. The crashes occurred at different points with no specific amount of time in play before the crash.

So, it sounds like an issue with Android 4 and music.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2012 00:05
Thanks a lot! Your testing approach has clearly restricted the scope of the problems. I realized that music has always been a "black sheep" for AppGameKit on Android, and Android 4 has additional issues. I will recommend the customer to try the game disabling the music. On the other side, maybe I should raise a bug on bug tracker.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2012 01:23
If you want to raise an issue on the bug tracker, it would help to supply the code related to the music. Whether that is enough to help us identify the actual problem, I don't know.

The big trick is coming up with a simple code set that lets us test and repeat the problem reliably.

I can flag the basic issue as 'confirmed', but we don't know what is actually causing it without the code that it occurs in.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2012 09:35 Edited at: 28th Oct 2012 14:53
A bit of research indicates that 4.1 on the Nexus is the first platform to incorporate radical changes to the audio sub-system to improve the appalling latency on Android (typically 100ms+) with a target of <10ms.

I notice in developer forums that several music apps will crash and force-close. There are also many complaints about audio being far too quiet to be usable.

This looks to me like a Nexus/4.1 issue, rather than a specifically AppGameKit issue. There are hints I've seen of OpenAL having problems on 4.1.

As Ancient Lady suggests, a small app than can reliably reproduce it sounds like the best way to isolate it.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2012 20:44
Thanks, I think that we have enough information to associate the issue to Nexus 7 device. I do not know if a small app, that should only play some MP3 files in some sequence, could help. The customer told me that excluding music, the app does not crash. This confirms Ancient Lady experience, and JimHawkins' discussion.
I am recommending Nexus 7 customers to disable music till a workaround shall be found.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 00:45:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 00:45:46