Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [DBPro] 2D Particle Functions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2012 16:00 Edited at: 19th Nov 2012 19:00
This is a series of functions in a DBPro source file that allow for 2D particles.

I have wanted one of these for a while and found other particle addons to be complicated so i decided to create one on my own. At this stage there is only a few basic commands but i do want to continue expanding it to allow for some more complicated functions.

- Feature Added
- Feature In Progress
- Feature Abandoned
- Feature Suggested

31/10/12
Particles
Particle Emitters
Basic commands added
Circular shaped particles
Adding images for particles
Allowing for selecting a point for the particle to go to

Command List:

This is just a first build of this so things are very likely to change. Suggest any ideas below and i will see if i can implement them.

The program is attached with the function code. A small demo is also included to show simple things that can be achieved with the program.

Pictures can be found here(I would advise downloading it for yourself though because its better to see it moving)
http://littlegg6.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/2d-particles.html

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
its about time for someone to make particle engine for 2D only.
i looking forward for more updates. looks pretty good so far.

Advanced Updater for your games!
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2012 00:36
Absolutely, keeping track of this with interest...

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 1st Nov 2012 03:05
Same here, I am keen to learn to do some 2D work in the coming months... as I have yet to have a try at making something with it... so this would likely, if already none-existent, help a lot

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 21:22 Edited at: 15th Nov 2012 21:22

One does not simply... create a wip thread on particles without posting a screenshot.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 21:31
One does not simply...

create a wip thread on particles without posting a screenshot.

There you go, all sorted

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2012 23:47
@ MrValentine,

Excellent choice of screenie....

Anyway, littleGg6, would be good to see an update...

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
littleGg6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2012 23:48
Yea sorry, I'm currently preparing for my mock GCSE papers so my free time is kinda being sucked up ATM. What's left is normally used up relaxing or working on theory (like cosine interpolation). I have got a small blog where I put my projects but I update them only once in a while. Here is the link if your interested. The only game download up there is from quite an old version of my latest project (the one that I was making this small engine for) because I want to get a 'playable' version because otherwise I'm just releasing kinda hacked together builds (like the current version up for download).
http://www.littleGg6.blogspot.com

To summarise, I probably won't update this for a while / never because it effectively does what I need it to and if I find any easy to put in features then I will probably add them in and once I have enough content then I will post an update. I'm hoping to put in some more programming around the Christmas holidays but until then I will probably be pretty silent for a bit. Any questions about anything do come up in my email though so I will respond to questions.

When I'm back on my computer then I'll add a photo to the main post.

Long post but I did have a lot to say, James
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2012 05:54
Quote: "so my free time is kinda being sucked up ATM"

So you got time to code the demo, compile it, package it up for download, but not enough time to hit "PrtScn"?

"You're not going crazy. You're going sane in a crazy world!" ~Tick
littleGg6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2012 09:18
Yea I see what you mean... At the time I just wanted to get the code out with the demo, which was really only there to let me test if features worked, and I didn't think to put a screenshot in, when I get back tonight then I'll add one.
littleGg6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2012 18:59
ok, added a link to some pictures, it seems like i need a website address to put pictures up onto the main post so i just added them to my blog with an article.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2012 19:32
You can always upload a photo to any of your other posts then edit your top one to post the link to it directly.

I looked at the demo. Did you lock the frame rate at 30? Are their any other controls besides the mouse buttons? The particles flicker sometimes, are they suppose to?

littleGg6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2012 22:46
yea, i did lock the frame rate, it should be right at the top if you open it with the editor.
The controls listed are the only ones so far because its just a quick demo to show that it works for now.
Flickering particles, no its not meant to do that... I don't know why that would happen but i just downloaded the demo and yea i see what you mean. Will update that to see if it fixes tomorrow.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 06:39
If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say the flickering is caused by setting an improper color value.

littleGg6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 08:48
It could be but it seemed to work when I compiled it (no flashing), it's only when I download the demo that it does it. Hopefully when I get a chance to update it then the problem will dissapear.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 04:22:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 04:22:36