Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Android app when installing asks for netowrk access, but i dont use it?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2012 06:14
Hello,

Starting to build my first android app and when I had a friend try to install it he noted that it asked permission to access the network resources on his device, so he asked "what does it use the network for?"

So .. I don't use networking at all, but it occurred to me that AppGameKit is network capable maybe the template is activating /requesting network access without me specifically doing anything.

So ...

A) How do I stop it from asking for network access when my app does not use it?

Thanks in advance!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 16th Nov 2012 11:08
My guess is the AD stuff, even if it is not set up, maybe that is still requesting networking?

I do not have much of an answer to this, but also curious to see any answers to this

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2012 11:56
I'm at work so cannot check my Android Setup, but from memory I beleive the access permissions are in the AndroidManifest file? Perhaps you could remove the Network permission? No idea if that will work, just thought I'd throw it out there...
erebusman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2012 03:11
Looks like Funnell7 might be on to something

the androidmanifest.xml has this

Going to remove the network line and see if that 'fixes' it

erebusman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2012 17:51
This did not resolve the issue. Still looking then

erebusman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2012 20:47
Okay I think I have it here.

When in Eclipse do the following

- Expand your project name in the left pane under Package Explorer
- Find the "AndroidManifest.xml" and select / double click on it.
- On the right click the contents will load; for whatever reason for me by default the window was sized very small and I had to drag the border downwards to see what was inside this.
- Notice there are tabs on the bottom edge of the window..
- Click on the "Permissions"
- Find the line for Network permissions - click on it to highlight it and click the "remove" button.
- Now upon recompile your project will no longer ask for the customer to give network access on insatllation.

For whatever reason hand editing the androidmanifest.xml left a remainder that was not effective; but doing it in Eclipse worked fine.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 22:45:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 22:45:20