Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Solar System Simulation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2003 13:00 Edited at: 14th Nov 2003 22:30
I made a solar system simulation, you can download it here: http://www.valorquest.com/spacetest4.zip

Here is a screenshot although it needs to be run to be appreciated:

Features the sun, 9 planets, and Earth, Mars, and Pluto's moons.
Planets are sized to scale and distanced to scale including correct axis tilts, orbital inclinations, and orbits.

Only possible issue I know of is I used odd sized textures for the planets. If anyone has any graphics issues let me know.

Any comments are welcome!

I have a sign beside my door-hinge, that says nothing rhymes with orange.

Soul Defender: 75% GodMode RPG: 5%
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2003 15:03
Pretty cool and very smooth.

Get some weird graphical glitches that appear for a nanosecond when you change views (specially noticable if you go between planets 1-4). Its like the star texture appears momentarily next to camera, then you move to correct place.

Boo!
Sonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2003 02:01
OH YES! This is VERY good! Congrats GuruChild! I loved this!

I've just been wizzing around each of the planets - no graphical probs here at all (amd athlon xp2100+ Geforcemx420/64MB). The Sun effect was very well done, could do with the obligatory lense flair but looked great without. Nice touches like the cloud layers above the earth/mars....

Improvements for me would be:

1) More data - including all known moons
2) Controls - this was my only issue with the demo:
Quote: "to scale you are travelling about 2.5 times the speed of light when you move."

How come I can't keep up with any planet after Saturn's orbit velocity then??
It would have been nice to be able to cruise along next to a planet, have a variable speed, or even being able to select a planet and then be put into obrit of it, see it more as if we were there. Also when you press the planet selector you are take infront of the planets orbit path so as soon as you release the planet goes right through you! To be placed behind it and see it zoom off away from you would be better.
3) Some nice classical music! (although I know you wouln't hear it in the vacuum of space

Controls aside this is brilliant, really nicely done. Quality work dude!

"My ignorance amuses me..."
http://www.victory-road.co.uk
Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2003 07:59 Edited at: 15th Nov 2003 13:19
Thanks for the comments! I'm working to improve everything right now.

Here is a new screenshot from the project. It shows Mars and one of its two moons, Phobos. Of note is the much improved starfield from the one in the current release of the program. The new one uses an actual map of the sky.

As for the speeds, they are to a scale but as you noticed its not correct yet. You are moving at about 2.5c but the planets are orbiting the sun about 100 times faster than they should be. This was just so I could make sure they orbit right without having to wait 5 years.

Sonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2003 15:04
Nice - I'm looking forward to the next demo.

I had another thought - I'm not sure where you're going with this but maybe a button to toggle interesting facts about the planets as you visit?

So how accurate IS this then? Do all the planets just have a circular orbit at a set distance from the sun (visually accurate) or has the odd orbit of some planets been codied in as well? Im thinking about the path crossing of Uranus and Neptune (I think).

Are you using a sky sphere or a sky box now?

More info!

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2003 15:25
I found this very interesting indeed - I had no idea the gap between Mars and Jupiter was so big, but if I remember correctly, theres a huge asteroid belt between them. Liked it a lot, especially the sun, it looked brilliant. Keep improving it, could be super this as a demo of what DBPro can do.

ZEDWARE website coming soon... //END TRANSMISSION//
Sonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2003 15:37 Edited at: 15th Nov 2003 19:38
Heheheh Captains Log Stardate 15-11-2003:

Sense of Scale...

Began journey at pluto just before lunch - sitting still in space looking around I wasn't sure what direction I should be headed but I saw this "Star" which seemed to be slightly larger than the others so I turned towards it and hit the gas!

It took a while, even at 2.5 times light speed (about 6-7 minutes) but finally I reached the sun after making out features like Saturns rings on my way in.

I decided to keep on the gas and slingshot around the sun and immediately saw Mercury in my sights, hey it was pretty close by and I was there in no time.

Adjusted my arc of trajectory and the next was Venus, again pretty close. Not alot on it feature wise.

I glided past Venus and was heading for Earth & Moon, both were past me in a flash.

Next stop, Mars, again about an equal distance as the other inner planets.

Then I had a journey, Jupiter is gigantic and was moving a a lick of speed as it was so much further out than the 4 inner planets! Although I could see it clearly from Mars it took quite a while to get there, gradually it loomed onto the screen with a majestic-like quality.

Here my journey ended as I knew it would be harder to catch up the rest of the planets in their orbits without knowing the correct, optimal, course to take.

Quite a ride!

I hope you don't mind but your Mars screenie looked so good I added it as a background to my lil game thing. I credited you in the Readme.

http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=20092&b=2

Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2003 11:59 Edited at: 16th Nov 2003 13:40
Thanks for the comments everyone!

I thought I'd take some time away from my project (which I admit I am getting lost in, in a good way) to update what is planned in the next week for the solar system sim.

1. Accurate scale for everything which can be set by user (large to small and in between).

2. All known moons (true moons first, psuedo-moons later). Psuedo moons would be all moons that are not large enough to pull themselves into a spherical shape under the force of their own gravity which is about 200 km in diameter.

3. Other bodies in the solar system. Quaoar, a planetoid body orbiting the sun quite circularly beyond pluto, has already been added. Quaoar was discovered last year and is about half the size of Pluto. Also some of the biggest asteroids will be added. I'll see what I can do about an asteroid belt.

4. Right now the orbits are circular, but their orbital inclinations (how tilted the circle is) are correct. Making the orbits correct only requires some number crunching on my part. I'll try to have this in the next version as well.

5. Navigation system of some kind. It would be useful to know where to go if you want to fly around. Of course, shortcut keys 1-9 jump to any planet already.

6. More visual enhancements including setting the correct albedo (light reflectiveness property) of each body.

7. Ability to toggle on/off planetary data which would display on screen when you are in the vicinity of a planet/moon.

I would like to make this a killer sim. Thanks again.

Sonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2003 00:38
I would say you're well on the way - this is a great start, this is obviously a subject you are keen on

Keep it up, I watch with much interest!

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2003 18:34
This is a great program . Good job!

The only thing that I found odd was that the earth took a year for a day to pass... in other words it wasn't spinning! I know it would look pretty weird for it to spin to 365 cycles in the short time it takes for it to orbit the sun, but if speed was either cut down a bit or made changable, this wouldn't be a problem.

The only other thing I can think of is that a progress bar when loading might be nice-- just update it every time you've finished loading a texture. It takes about a solid minute on my computer, and it's impossible to tell whether the program has crashed or is still loading.

Altogether an excellent program. If you could toggle the labels it'd make a nice screensaver . Ooops, there go the suggestions again ... hehe, good job, I really like it.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

A very nice %it, indeed.
Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2003 15:37
@Mouse

All of those suggestions are in the new version I'm working on

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2003 19:12
Shouldn't the Sun be way bigger?

...and like that; he's gone...
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2003 19:39
Good job, Guruchild.
I'm afraid to tell you that I'm making my own version of a solar system too, I started it sometime ago, so don't be surprised when my program post appears.
I think that there are others beside us that are working in similar projects, it seems like someday soon we are going to be plenty of solar systems simulations.
Good and bad news at the same time, I suppose.
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2003 21:32
It looks really good. I could use it in school, for my lessons about astronomy.
May I ask two more options ?
- A radar Map would be nice in the corner
- I'd like an option to be fixed on a planet (example the earth, then we could observe the eclipses : that fact added to the map, could improve lessons at school)

Oh yes, if anyone is doing some solar system simulation, don't hesitate : email me.

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2003 22:38 Edited at: 18th Nov 2003 22:39
Hey, I can see my house from here

Well done.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2003 08:46
New version with latest improvements out:
http://www.valorquest.com/terra-cosmo090.zip

I've tentatively named it Terra-Cosmo.

Magpie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2003 20:47
Excellent.
The screenshots I mean. Gimme a couple of hours and I'll get back to you on the actual program.
Damn this intolerably slow computer!

Click image to see screenshots...
Magpie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2003 20:49
Are you sure Pluto's got more than one moon?

Click image to see screenshots...
Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2003 22:58
What? Pluto does have only one moon. It only has one moon in the sim. IF you are talking about Quaoar, it orbits the sun, not pluto.

JD Programming
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2003 23:56
Your screenshots look very promising...good job

Programming is one of the first steps to become an individual...
http://www.jdpgamestudios.co.uk
Sonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2003 06:01
What happened to the graphics on the last demo? All the textures have gone grainy and no star field? Is it compiled in desktop fullscreen rather than exclusive?

Jan Eise
Years of Service
User Offline
Hy there, i think its great and original. But one question, how did you make those planets move around the sun in a circle, while it remains faced to the sun? That is something that bothers me half a year... (could you plz post your answer on this thread?)

Cool Program!
Kipper_UK
Years of Service
User Offline
The link doesn't work for me Is it still available?

I am very interested in seeing this. I tried to make my own solar system simulation, mine had every solar body (down to moons, no asteroids or comets, they were for later)

The problem that I had was that with the scales of our system being as they were, my objects were too big which meant the resulting distance between them (being scaled) meant that the camera couldnt see far enough to render things that one would be able to see (ie. the sun from earth, i can see it!) so my answer was to scale everything down by the same amount, but this made some of the smaller bodies invisible because the actual objects became too small. I couldn't find a happy medium.

I'd love to see your prog to see if (and how) you got around this problem. The screenshots look great.

I have data on the smaller more nondescript moons somewhere, as well as some of the notable asteroids from the belt,and some of the more famous comets somewhere, if needed.

will post my code (for a laugh, it doesnt look like this) later.

God of unfinished programming projects
Kipper_UK
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi again, I re-read the thread and found the new link, silly me I loaded up your program and have a few questions/comments. But bear in mind that i'm absolutely not qualified in any way to know whether or not something i'm saying is accurate

1. This is probably the single most impressive DBpro demo I have seen.

2. It is also probably the best solar system sim i've seen on any computer format.

That being out of the way....

The 'dark side' of earth (or any other planet) is completely dark making it invisible against the blank (no starfield at all) background. Is this right? Some of the coolest views in my opinion are towards another body with a body in the foreground, but if you are looking towards the sun (which is pretty much the only object you can see because of the sizes) then you are looking with the un-illuminated side in the foreground which is almost invisible (on my monitor anyway). If not for realism, but for coolness, maybe include an option to illuminate these dark sides a little? (wouldn't light reflect or be present from other sources? Perhaps the players 'ship' could be a light source)

--

In my last post I mentioned about scales. In your sim, you can see the sun from earth (thats one up on me) but in both yours and mine, something just looks wrong. Wait for the moon to cross the sun, looking from earth. This universe is clearly not going to experience an eclipse, this suggests that the scale/distances are wrong. The moon either aint big enough, or aint close enough.
BUT: I had the same effect in my sim. Pretty much exactly the same in fact, we are both using real physical data so is this some quirk or innacuracy in DB? I dont know the answer. Or perhaps its something to do with the atmosphere of earth magnifying the moon when we view with the naked eye. Anyone know?

--

Time: Maybe include a readout for time elapsed (in earth time) and allow the user to speed up, slow down and stop time. This way you can study views and stuff without the planets escaping.

--

Views: In my sim I did the same as you with the numbers being 'hotkeys' to jump to planets. I also had a system which worked quite well where SHIFT+numbers points the camera towards that body. Also had keys to control your elevation so you could move 'above' a body without having to look away from it.

Also have the ability to 'land' on a planet and look at a body (the camera positions itself on the surface of the 'view from' body at the nearest point to the 'view to' body)

--

Perhaps you could include the ISS or a shuttle orbitting Earth for fun Pretend like you are in a spaceship so include 'thruster' sounds when you move - then have a cool external view of your ship.

--

Once again, this thing is brilliant. Its unfortunate for us all that the distances in the solar system are so vast, it would be much more impressive if you could see big orbiting planets from the other bodies, but its realistic like it is, which i think is probably more important. However - for a workaround - when 'landed' on a planet, offer a 'telescope' option so you can see how venus would look through a 16x telescope from earth or whatever.

Keep up the good work. I think as well as the technology demo really showing off DBpro, this program has educational possibilities too! Can't wait to see haleys comet whipping round the sun, or whatever

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Dude that looks awsome all the planets look great and the system is cool so overall a great effort here congratz.

[href]www.vapournet.com/~flyer[/href]
Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2004 09:04
Thanks a lot guys, I have plans to resume developing this sim now that the alienware compo is out of the way. The comments are always welcome.

Kipper_UK
Years of Service
User Offline
As I said earlier I would, here is the link to the W.I.P. forum where I put my source out for my unfinished solar sim.. doesn't seem like much point in finishing it up now, but there are some slight differences:

1. My graphics are rubbish (and untextured)

2. I believe I have almost every known planet and moon including Jupiters outer moons that actually orbit backwards. (The data structures are on the end of the source, useful on their own!)#

3. My camera system locks onto objects rather than being free, this is better in some respects, but worse in others.

4. My labels are just object screen x / y commands which means you can view them from any distance, and because you can get a 'top down' sort of view, even though you cant see the outer moons of jupiter due to size, you can still plot their positions.

Feel free to take apart for ideas/snippets.

[href]
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=22954&b=8
[/href]

Guruchild
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 12:32
Thanks, I'll have a look and see what I can come up with.

Soul Defender: 95% 3d Solar System Simulator: 75% GodMode RPG: 5%

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 09:54:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 09:54:23