Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DGK 1.0/2.0/Something else

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello all!

I'm a budding C++ programmer and I'm looking to start branching from the basics into games. I have DGS from when I first started coding(DBP) and thus have access to DGDK and some plugins.

I've been reading up on 2.0 which the author has apparently disappeared. Would it be better to work with 1.0 or purchase the possibly dead 2.0?

Or should I just forget about DGDK altogether and move to a different engine?

I drink a glass of awesomesauce everyday.
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2012 23:45
Quote: "Or should I just forget about DGDK altogether and move to a different engine?"

if you are very good with C++ do this, if not you can play a while with Dark GDK 1.0

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 01:24
Just saying, DGS apparently does not count as a commercial Licence for GDK...

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 02:20
Quote: "I've been reading up on 2.0 which the author has apparently disappeared."

I think it is tweakable enough that you can work with it yourself. Some key parts are delegated to a non-open source part (compiled into the gdkengine.dll) however. This mainly goes for the aspects in which it differs from DarkBASIC such as with the 3D math. It is however entirely possible to create wrappers for the original DBPro functions in the parts where those new variants are broken (mainly the shader data transfer functions).
The big question is whether the license actually let's you sell or even publicize what you are developing - the gdkengine.dll, which essentially is what you are paying for, must be supplied with your application and then it can be "stolen" by anyone using the "free" GDK2 version.

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 15:02:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 15:02:27