Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Weave 3D released

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2003 17:32 Edited at: 14th Nov 2003 17:33
It's a simple 3D game... my first game in DBPro. Please give it a try, it's actually pretty fun.

The file is on Geocities, so if you can't download the file it's because many people have donwloaded it (which makes me happy). however if you actually CAN download the file it means nobody is downloading it

anyways, lemme know what you think good or bad.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-PaloAlto/2785/Weave3D.htm

you can see some screenshots on this link as well before you download. thx- walaber
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2003 18:30 Edited at: 14th Nov 2003 18:32
Wow! That is actually very adictive for a simple idea. This has so much potential to be made into a great game with more depth. Add powerups, lives etc. I have one problem with the mouse movement. It's kind of jerky, I suspect this is because you are using something like:

xPos=xPos+mousemovex()/4

or something. If you are then that can be fixed by adding a .0 on the end of the 4, it just means it will come up with a decimal answer like 0.25, rather than rounding it to the nearest integer (0).

Great game, keep up the good work.

EDIT
Btw, my top score: 9800 and something .

Do you bite your thumb at me sir?

Athelon XP 1600 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2003 18:31
I like it! Very playable and addictive.

One MAJOR flaw - you need to make it run at same speed in different resolutions and pc's. Goes from very fast to stupidly slow.

I cranked up the res in your options screen and could easily play without dying because everything moved at a nice sedate speed. I got to see all your nice fancy shapes as game progresses. BUT then it crashed with an error about line 378. Image or object doesnt exist or something similar.

I would also suggest not having barriers right in front of you when you start a game as I got annoyed when I died within 1 second of starting! Give a breathing space of a few seconds to give the player time to think.

Also put a 'back' option on options screen as only way back to main menu is to change resolution.

Well done!

Boo!
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2003 18:59
You can press enter to go back, but I agree, put a back thing or a "Press enter to go back". Also, you should have levels in a later version.

Do you bite your thumb at me sir?

Athelon XP 1600 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2003 19:07 Edited at: 14th Nov 2003 19:10
OK I uploaded a slighty altered version that fixes the first few walls so they don't come flying right at you.

I also slightly adjusted the mouse-movement code.. it's jumpy like that to keep it fair no matter what input device you are using (although the mouse is by far the easiest)

thanks for the comments!

spooky: if you just don't change the resolution and press enter at anytime in the options screen you go back to the main menu.

(edit) as for the speed issues... the game runs at the max 60fps on my machine regrdless of resolution... but your right, if you have a slower machine and you run at the high resolutions, the game will probably crawl along.... i should implement a smarter sync system... right now I'm all busy with my Alienware comp entry
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2003 19:33
OK sorry for the constant annoying updates...

I've changed the game so it runs at an internal speed of 30FPS (using a timer() system)... so now if your system can handle at least 30fps, the game should run at the same speed regardless of resolution.... a really slow computer will still have trouble... but hey

thanks for all who have already tried the game!

the newest version is still the same link as above.
Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2003 21:03
I think your game is pretty fun and addicting. The concept is simple, but it's presented very well: very clean graphics, and that song goes well with the game.

My only suggestion is that you base the game menu on the system timer. That is, when you press a key in the menu, it jumps too quickly through the possible menu items. Perhaps use TIMER() comparisons to force a delay between menu items.

Otherwise, good job!

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2003 02:45
Hell IVIonkey- thanks for the nice comment. I uploaded a new version that fixes the menus so they are much easier to navigate...

same link as before, now version 1.1
Hell IVIonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2003 09:29
Here's an error I got somewhere between 8000 and 10000 points (I forget what I had because it crashed):

Runtime Error 7008 - Object does not exist at line 380

walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2003 11:40
the error was based on the score... if you got over 1000, the game freaked out. a classic example of too much cut-and-pasting in my code. it's all fixed now... to be honest I'm really impressed you were able to get a score like that though! I usually die around 8000...

thanks for playing my game... feel free to download the updated version (same link as always)
lupin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2003 09:14
i've been playing this on and off for over a week, so far 17411 top score, it got insane twards the end were it was impossible to go anyfurther. I would deffently love to see an improved version sometime in the future with bosnuses or levels and the such. good job Walaber.
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2003 10:01
lupin- holy cow I didn't think anyone would really play that much. thanks for playing my game- you're much better at it than I am. just curious, what control setting do you use? I personally think mouse control is the easiest, followed by joystick....

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!
lupin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 06:58
heheh, It’s quite fun while at work. I use the keyboard control, the mouse is a bit jerky and slow. I feel like I have more control over the ship using the keyboard.
I actually made it to 26871 couple of weeks ago, I could send you a screenshot if you'd like.
Sadly I can't make it pass that. GG thoe
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 07:41
eee...I cant download it...its in japanese

Amist the Blue Skies...
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2003 16:59 Edited at: 13th Dec 2003 17:19
oh- the download is down at the moment, lemme see if I have room to put it back...

[edit] nope, i have a demo of my alien comp project up at the moment, so there's no room for Weave. it'll be back up after Dec. 24th. not like anyone is lining up to d/l it or anything. but yeah.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!
Sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2003 20:25
damit I wanted to play it.

"Heroes get remembered, but legends never die."
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2004 01:46
by the way the file is back up no the website.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 19:48:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 19:48:04