Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Minimum Hello World of an app.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2012 11:09
I'm confused about how to go about creating my first app.

I compiled one of the examples that came with the AppGameKit IDE, but the .exe and associated files don't appear to work.

??

any help would be appreciated, because the guides in the help only mention if you want to program for the android store, which if you are just starting out with a hello world program...don't want to do...

later all,

jeff c

Hi
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2012 15:39
Are you working in Tier 1 (AGK IDE, Basic) or Tier 2 (MS Visual Studio, C++)?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
OceanJeff40
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2012 20:49
...sigh...how does anyone know this if they haven't even understood what it takes to make a hello world?

I'm just curious.

thanks for the question.

someone please supply an answer. rofl

later,

jeff

p.s. I successfully compiled the starfield example program. but it doesn't work on my phone. I got an .exe file, but was highly skeptical that this would work on my phone. lol

Hi
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2012 22:04 Edited at: 29th Nov 2012 22:09
If you opened AppGameKit using the link created on your desktop, then you are using the AppGameKit IDE and that is Tier 1. The language in Tier 1 is a Basic variant.

There are plenty of examples in Basic provided showing how to do lots of stuff.

You can also use the IDE to create a brand new project. From the menu select File->New->Project and work through the steps presented. That creates a nice clean "hello world" app.

As for executing on your phone. Is it an Android or iPhone? If it is an Android (good guess based on this forum section), you can load the appropriate version of the Player from this page directly onto your phone. Then you can broadcast your app from the IDE, assuming that your phone sees the same network as your computer and that you have a wireless network.

As for compiling and running on your phone directly. Well, if you don't know enough to know if you are using Basic or C++, then you aren't ready yet to set up your computer for compiling for an Android device.

EDIT: That last is not meant to be sarcastic or nasty, just a basic response to what appeared to be a lack of understanding of some simple stuff.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 7th Dec 2012 04:16 Edited at: 7th Dec 2012 04:20
Here's a simple hello world:

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 12:40:26