Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Good software?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 30th Nov 2012 03:14
What software is recomended for making 2d sprites?
I use The GIMP, But it's more suited for Image Manipulation (hence the name), Not making sprites.

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
http://www.pixelprospector.com/the-big-list-of-graphics-programs-windows-edition/

Check out that link. That site is a good general site for game design.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2012 12:59
I've grown to like the sprite editor in GameMaker, it's straightforward to use and has a nice way of handling alpha that allows a lot of control. I just edit the sprite and save it as a PNG. Along with the sprite editor you can also test out tiled maps, animations, anything you need really - even prototype your game or ideas inside GameMaker.

Also, GameMaker:Studio is free until you want to release a finished game on a platform, so if your just using the editors etc then you don't have to pay for anything.
I have Pro-motion, and really do not like that program, the damn thing doesn't even support alpha. I used to use PaintShopPro9, which is a great all-round package, but for straight up sprite editing, well I have yet to find something more direct and useful as GameMaker.

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more memes.
Darkhog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2012 01:43
I'd recommend ASESPRITE. It is best suited towards PixelArt, for hi-color sprites I'd stick with GIMP or Paint.NET or Photoshop.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:33:57
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:33:57