Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Orbital Assault [WIP]

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2012 08:50 Edited at: 1st Dec 2012 08:54
Orbiting Invaders

I've been meaning to do this project for a while, and finally decided to get on with it. The concept is fairly simple, instead of having lines of linear invaders floating down the screen, why not have them orbiting a planet, getting closer and closer and speeding up faster and faster.

But hell, that's a little boring, it's just Space Invaders rotating around a planet, who wants to play that?

To add to the challenge, every set of invaders you destroy return stronger than before. Wave 1 = 1 shot per invader, wave 2, = 2 shots, wave 3 = 3, etc etc. But that's a bit obvious, so I slapped an indicator on each invader to let you know their health level and went to add some more stuff.

The old flying saucer across the top of the screen... what if it was a big arsed mother-ship firing planet devastating torpedos at earth? Now you've got 30 invaders getting stronger and a big arsed mother ship trying to destroy the planet! If you let 10 of these torpedo's hit earth it's game over. If you get hit by the torepdo yourself, it's game over!

That's not enough challenge for this space cowboy, so here comes a fleet of massive dread-naughts! And they are real angry. They start firing homing torpedoes at you, and turning up at regular times. Now you have 30 invaders getting stronger, a big arsed mother ship firing planet devastating missiles at earth, up to three dreadnoughts firing homing energy balls at you. You've got the blow them all up, if 10 planet devastating torpedo's hit it's good bye earth. With every hit earth takes damage, going from a cheerful healthy green through a depressing yellow to a terrible red.

Rest assured I won't stop there, I'm planning a few more surprises in this one. I'm not sure what I've started to create here, but I'm damned sure it ain't no space invaders anymore.

Are you good enough to fight a whole invading armada singled handed?

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2012 22:25
Looks really cool you should finish it

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 2nd Dec 2012 16:56
WOAH! imagine this with combos, mad weapon upgrades... temporary turbo fire boosters!!!

Keep at it!

I LOVE THE SLOWMO EFFECTS!

And the music...

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2012 21:31 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2012 21:31
Thank you!

I'm thinking of adding side stages to break up the action a little.

For example, when you destroy wave 4 the boss fires a special weapon which 'goes wrong' and blasts you out of the universe. You appear around an alternative earth, beat the boss ship there, and receive some kind of upgrade form a grateful world before returning to your own earth to continue the fight. For the first stage I'm thinking a simple weapons upgrade, perhaps shooting two missiles instead of just one. For the next 'special stage' having the aliens attack the earth with massive asteroids, the ore of which allows you to temporarily make your ship impervious until you run out of ore. If I do this sort of thing every 5 stages until level 99 when the user has the chance to win the whole game.

I think this will be a little more entertaining then simply having boxes appear randomly.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2012 17:57 Edited at: 4th Dec 2012 17:58
I've changed the name of this game to "Orbital Assault" as I feel it better describes what I'm attempting to achieve and will hopefully distance it from being "yet another space invaders clone"

Here's a an updated screenshot showing some of the new graphics I'm putting in place.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 4th Dec 2012 18:03
Very Sweet!

I hope to play a demo of this, at the very least, it is not in my box of "Me Likey" games, but I think a good five minutes is deserved!

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2012 19:20

Demonstration of the new graphics running on the Sony Xperia Play.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2012 22:45
More explosion updates.

erebusman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2012 06:12
Looks very nice Daniel!

I assume some of this is on your list but just in case here's my feedback:

1: When it rounds the top of the screen the ships pass out of view. make it so that the planet is a little bigger but the camera follows your gun and always orients the planet at the perceived "bottom" edge to give you maximum screen space for the space battle that's going on. This way most of the planet is in fact off screen most of the time.

2: Combined with the above ; when the game starts be zoomed out, but once the aliens start circling do a medium paced zoom into your ship to the above described camera angle ; this sets the players perspective to understand they are protecting the whole planet

3: I would like to see you use physics for when you hit the circling alien ships, the explosion would propel the alien ship at an angle away from the planet before exploding, in some instances either destroying or damaging nearby ships.

4: As others said the possibilities for powerups in this game is astounding! Power ups! Shields, Space Mines, Triple Laser, Fast Lasers, Smart Missles, Gravity Bomb (sucks the ones near it into a small space and physics explode them) and so on.

Keep up the good work.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2012 10:07 Edited at: 7th Dec 2012 10:08
Thank you for your feedback, it's easy to get carried away with projects like this so for the moment I'm keeping things realistic with the option of bolting upgrades onto the game post-release.

The weapon upgrades I'm planning at this point are:

Single Missile Stage

Power upgrade x 2
Power upgrade x 3

Multi-missile

Main missile pwr x 1 + 12 degree missile x 1
Main missile pwr x 2 + 12 degree missile x 1
Main missile pwr x 3 + 12 degree missile x 1
Main missile pwr x 1 + 12 degree missile x 1 + -12 degree missile x 1
Main missile pwr x 2 + 12 degree missile x 1 + -12 degree missile x 1
Main missile pwr x 3 + 12 degree missile x 1 + -12 degree missile x 1

Orbiting defense missile

Global orbital missile, circles earth once, useful when defending against Dreadnought homing missiles

Local orbit missile, missile spins around the ship 4 times, again designed to defend against homing missiles.

That's the limit of the upgrades at the moment. I can get more creative at a later date, but I think the priority at this point is to get the game working and out the door, then start thinking about 1.0x updates

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 17:42:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 17:42:47