Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
We are using AppGameKit for our Game Design class at Fresno State.

SalsaMe started as an ambitious idea to make a game out of salsa dance moves and combinations.

Using simple and complex gestures on a smartphone, one can execute complicated dance moves and rack up points.

It doubles as a resource for social dancers to get ideas to bring to the club.

I’ve only managed to complete a raw prototype so far, but it has definitely been an adventure. I had zero game development experience prior.

Some notable tools that really helped me were

TexturePacker (amazing sprite sheet creator)
Console class (invaluable debugging tool, use cout << with agk)

I decided to use Microsoft Kinect motion capture using the Brekel Kinect driver to do my dance animations, and edit them in Autodesk MotionBuilder I exported the frames out to TIFFs and packed them with TexturePacker.

I use OpenCV to record gestures, and to detect shapes and patterns that are drawn.

Some downers were:
No fbx / skeletal animation support yet
Learning the hard way my Android Nexus limits bitmaps at 2048x2048, and then AppGameKit autoscales them down to 1024x1024 automatically. (Wish this was documented + configurable somewhere)
If you lock your orientation to landscape, and start the game in Portrait, the AGKSplash image will not stick. Couldn’t find a way around this
Square buttons

Other than that, AppGameKit was amazingly easy to learn. I learned a lot about game development along the way. I may be approaching Unity to get fbx support sooner, but for 2D development AppGameKit seems the way to go.

Here are some screenshots

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2012 23:48
Ambitious indeed! And pretty cool.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
erebusman
Years of Service