Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Not Impressed with the compile tuts or support.

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK Studio Always
Posted: 9th Dec 2012 17:08
Ok, i would class my self as been pretty savvy when it comes to computers and coding and all that, although be it, mainly using basic programs like agk teir1. but the instrunction for compiling an android app are poorly written and mostly mean diddly squat to me.()http://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/guides/33_android.htm

surely there must be an easier tutorial , or even better a video showing step by step ive managed to fdo iphone via a video, but stumbling blocks like this for me force me to look for alternative programs to use to make my android apps, and there are many.

if there is an easier video tut this needs to be pointed out and a clear link to them on the agk webpage. else one clearly needs to be made.

i cant understand why such a great product clearly lacks support in the most important part of its cycle.

There can only be one
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2012 17:39
First, the instructions haven't been updated recently. For instance, the Calibration section on the guide should not be there anymore because as of about v1075, Android orientation is done natively.

Next, which parts are you having trouble with?

The 'Preparing the Eclipse IDE..' section is pretty detailed.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Zubby1970
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2012 00:58
i think ive prepared the IDE corectly, but im not sure ive lost my thread with it , as most of it does not probably count anymore.

thre cygwin section is killing me this should be pointed out in step by step and clear instrunction ive been trying to compile programs in cygwin then jumping back into eclipse thinking this is where i should probably compile then wondering why i need cygwin at all. its just a jumble of spagheti for me and ive lost patience with it 7 hours and still no further , and lees small video make it look so easy OMG, im pulling my hair out and seriously concidering falking out 200 quid on MMF2 Developer im sure there way will be much simpler.

There can only be one
PaulTR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2012 02:07
Set up eclipse like normal for Android

Import the T2 template for AppGameKit (not the one in the main section, but the optional resource from the console on the site). It'll have a basic hello world app in it.

Use clean/fix project properties if needbe.

Install the Google NDK as instructed.

Install Cygwin as instructed. I put all of my stuff in C:\android\agk and c:\android\android-ndk-r8b

use cd in cygwin to get into your template folder. For me the command is:
cd /cygdrive/c/android/agk/ide/template/template_android

Assuming you're using NDK r8b, use this command to compile the C++ code for the Android
/cygdrive/c/android/android-ndk-r8b/ndk-build 2> log.txt

Then run the code from eclipse onto your device (or emulator. I only uses devices, so yeah).

Using the optional template makes a huge difference and makes it a lot easier.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2012 15:48
The TGC posted Tier 2 Android template is not quite right. The one on the AGK Wiki Template page definitely works.

To avoid some of the permissions issues, once you copied the AGK/IDE directory into your Android directory, you need to determine the user and group that exist in your cygwin window like this:

The last two commands make sure that you have the proper permissions for everything else that gets done (cleans, compiles, etc.).

If you use Windows File Explorer to copy files from your Windows AppGameKit project to the Android one, you will want to execute those last two commands in the project directory, just to make sure that Eclipse and cygwin both are able to read and write where necessary.

It is also a good idea to clean before each build to make sure everything compiles cleanly:
/cygdrive/c/android/android-ndk-r8b/ndk-build clean

The proper cygwin-Eclipse sequence is:

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Zubby1970
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 00:48
im using Tier1 guys not tier 2

There can only be one
Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 01:58
hey zubby,
have you seen the compiling for android video located here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=486_IkF-Al0

I found this video very helpful and walks you through the entire process although I am unsure if it is up to date with the new 108 versions.
Zubby1970
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 13:27
thanks cor going to check it out now

There can only be one
Zubby1970
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 20:20
now thats what im talking about this video is awsome, daniel foreman has done it again. this video need bringing to the forefront of the AppGameKit web page make it part of the tutorial section or even ship it with the down load or something.

awsome Cor thanks and daniel too for all his hard work , im impressed again.

There can only be one
Cor
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 21:09
No problem Zubby, Im glad it was what you were looking for!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 03:58:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 03:58:03