Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Ballastic - App Innovation Contest Winner [Windows]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 08:56 Edited at: 14th Dec 2012 19:04
So, I just found out that my game was the chosen winner of the $10,000 grand prize in the gaming category of the App Innovation contest.

Description and Objective

The mechanics of Ballastic are simplistic yet addictive. Grab onto the handle that the ball is attached to and drag it around the screen using your mouse, or your finger if using a touch-enabled device. The objective is to demolish as many items as possible before the string snaps or your time runs out. A local and online high score system allows you to compete against friends and others from around the world.

As the game progresses the ball becomes increasingly heavier, making it more difficult to keep it under control. To further challenge the user, certain items will spawn additional weighted balls to the string, which multiply future points while making the game even more challenging.

While dragging the handle around the screen, the ball(s) attached to the elastic will react to your every move. If you provide too much momentum, the rope will give way and snap. To earn the greatest number of points you must try to stretch the elastic rope as far as possible without breaking it.

The game's scoring formula relies heavily on the length of the string upon impact; your score will increase greatly as you become more skilled. Rack up killer combos by collecting multiple items quickly and with high elasticity.

System Requirements

The current build of the game requires Windows 7/8 (64-bit recommended, untested on 32-bit). It includes special enhancements for Ultrabook™ users (e.g., two themes depending on ambient light, background effects depending on accelerometer) but is fully playable on desktop PCs and not restricted in any way.

Download

AppUp Store: http://www.appup.com/app-details/Ballastic (Note: Current version can only be downloaded from an Ultrabook device on Windows 8; the readme also got overwritten by the one from the MSI installer. This will be fixed in the next update).

Portable Download (Extract ZIP): http://linkedpixel.com/downloads/ballastic.zip (13.4 MB)

Silent Installer (Creates Shortcut): http://linkedpixel.com/downloads/ballastic.msi (13.1 MB)

Screenshots

Consumer Electronic Show 2013 Booklet Insert (Preview)

Video of Gameplay

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 09:22
WOAH! CONGRATS MAN!!!!!!!

Space Dream Studios
Competition Prize Winner 2014
Years of Service
User Offline
Congratulation! Your game is great!!!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 10:31
Excellent news! Congratulations!

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 14:47
Wow, awesome news xCept. I have promoted you to AppGameKit Master!

Enjoy your winnings. Hopefully BatVink can interview you for the newsletter.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 14:51
Well done indeed! Thanks for deciding to use AppGameKit to write your app. I hope you don't mind us featuring your success in the next newsletter, as I think the community would be very encouraged by your win.

Hogging the awesome since 1999
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 15:28
Congratulations! - it's really great to see AppGameKit and AppGameKit users making waves like this

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more memes.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Congrats xcept, 10k, that would sure come in handy!

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 17:06
Totally, outrageously cool! And serious congratulations!

You are THE MAN!

Yup, and ain't it great that the winner was using AGK.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2012 18:50
I never thought an agk user would grabb the gaming category?

This is awesome

After i watched the other entrys like celerity that used head tracking and all kind of other stuff so did i know that my entry whas dead in the wather.

The funny thing is that this team didt manage to win a single cash prize.

I must download and test all the agk games that entered soon

And we that love agk salute the makers of agk

I think the bat should count how much money agk grabbed in this compo also for the next news letter

I belive agk users grabbed around 20 000$ in cash prizes?

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
Auger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2012 01:46
Well done xCept !! Glad someone from AppGameKit won one of the big prizes.

Auger
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2012 06:49 Edited at: 24th Dec 2012 06:51
Congratulations on the win!

Played the game and it's very polished! Difficult, but polished. I doubt my highscore will stay up for very long.

Btw, what are the "crosshairs" in the playfield for? I've seen them break from time to time but I've no idea what they're for...

~Plystire

A rose is only a rose until it is held and cherished -- then it becomes a treasure.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, Plystire.

Quote: " Btw, what are the "crosshairs" in the playfield for? I've seen them break from time to time but I've no idea what they're for..."

The crosshairs are just a heads up to indicate the type and location of the next two balls. The one with four points indicates the second upcoming ball, while the one with eight points will be the next ball as soon as you collect the existing one. This is helpful if trying to plan your movement to hit several as quickly as possible.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2012 14:42
If you haven't downloaded this game yet, do it now...totally addictive!

I have found that there is actually a good technique/strategy to use when playing, rather than just hitting and hoping. I'm second on the all-time leaderboard, I challenge you to beat my score!

Congrats!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 12:25:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 12:25:51