Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [LOCKED] [X9] Stronghold (Working Title)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 08:45 Edited at: 22nd May 2013 04:37

PLOT SUMMARY
A few weeks before the events of the game, getaway driver Adrian Gray broke out of prison. Serving ten years was a little more then he could handle, so he escaped in two. Setting up shop in a once-great but currently piece of crap hotel, Adrian begins to get his life in order. Find some simple work, evade the cops, find the old crew that set him up for a couple of murders on that bank heist two years back.Things go smoothly for a while, until the cops find out where Gray is, and mount an advance to arrest him. Simultaneously, a group of adversaries swiftly and violently take over the hotel. Thinking quickly, Gray makes for an escape until he's contacted by a policeman named Frost. Gray sets up a deal with Frost: if he helps stop the incursion, Gray's name will be cleared. And so, as Adrian (an apparent convict with a heart of gold), you must charge your way through the run-down hotel taking down any enemy that comes your way, while trying to find out who exactly this group of agitators are, and what it is they're after.

ORANGES
Here are some nice screens and some more info about the game, or as I like to call them: Oranges.

A stockroom in the once-beautiful hotel. The game employs a heavy noir style to it.

Adrian's room at the hotel. TV's (like the one in the corner) can be found around the game which show you a news report detailing the current situation

The hotel kitchen. While not shown, the game WILL feature secrets in each level. Some require jumping to an inaccessible area, or shooting down an inconspicuous wall.

OTHER STUFF
This will be my second attempt at making a game. My previous effort: Funhouse: Can You Survive was unfortunately getting way too long so I made the decision to shelve the game for now. Fortunately, however, that experience taught me how to script effectively, and introduced me to a lot of cool tricks that I can use for this game. All in all, thanks for reading this post and please tell me what you think!

HEY GUYS! This thread is obsolete for many different reasons. But if you wanna find the new thread click here:

"I think I'm getting the 'Black Lung,' pop."

"Derrick, you've been down there for one day."
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 09:48
This looks really good!

~Nic
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 17:10
Overall a good look and well populated areas. Just a few things might make for more realism. I'm assuming that this is more of a motel than a hotel.

Shot 1:Alley
The surface/ground in the alley looks too clean.
The lamp post is out of place in an alley. Perhaps a wall mounted light?

Shot 2:Room
The room seems a little big.
The window looks like it's in from the inside out, or it's just too big a window for that room. Perhaps a different/smaller window?
The floor doesn't seem right for a motel room.
Nit-picking, I know, but the bed is too neat. Maybe just throw some junk on it.

Shot 3:Kitchen
The kitchen looks good but again, I think a little big, especiall for that one small light.

Keep the oranges coming.

Brian.

!retupmoc eht ni deppart m'I !pleH

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 20:35
Thanks guys.

I do admit that the alley floor looks pretty clean. I've been looking for more clutter entities like puddles of water, single pieces of paper, stuff like that, but most of them cast shadows and make the player's steps bouncy (minus the wobble from the 1.20 beta). The lamp post however is more interesting. My aunt lives in Chicago, and here front door almost goes unused since the entry to her garage comes from the alleyway. She says that it's pretty common in big cities, so people, or the city tends to put lamp posts to aide people into their homes. That was one of the only lamp posts I found that looks like the one she has out there, but I'll think of something.

The room was really confusing to make, because I had all the segments and architecture in mind already, but when I placed the floor next to the wall, it would change the wall, or the other way around. I got stuck using the standard "Kitchen Tile" from the Modern Model Pack. :-( But if there's any brown carpets that I can find that refrain from changing the walls, I will most immediately change the floor. (the floor here also doesn't make noises, which is kind of annoying)

The window is pretty inexcusable. I was thinking: "What has a windowsill? Oh okay, this one. Moving on." The bed is also noted, I didn't even think of that.

As for the space, I was trying to find ways that showed that the hotel was probably a VERY nice place. In the game, the narrator is actually Adrian twenty years in the future. He states something like: "Coulda been a nice place fifty years ago. Five star, Top of the Line, Best of the Best. But somewhere along the lines it turned to: Run down, two star, piece of $h1t." I wanted this "Once-luxurious" feel to it, like the managers had to sell furniture to make ends meet, and are now using crap TV's and lights to lower costs. Now, it's empty and depressing. But that's been a big challenge for me is to make the player envision what it would have been a long time ago. But thanks, man, I really do appreciate it.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2012 23:44
ah yes, finally a game I'm seriously interested in. first off, fantastic job on the story. it really interested me! as for the screenshots, they leave a little bit to be desired but that's not something a few corrections can't fix!

Screenshot 1-
the biggest problem I see, which is a common newbie mistake, is that the tops of the buildings are darker than the sky. This just. doesn't. happen. remember to place a very large moonlight high up above all sections of your outdoor scenes. the contrast sticks out like a sore thumb and looks bad. also, fix the streetlight, the game isn't in the '30s is it? otherwise, I love the angle, easter egg billboard, and fire escape.

Screenshot 2-
five pizza boxes? is adrian a morbidly obese criminal? (if so, badass!). otherwise this one I like the least. what kind of hotel room has a terrifying taxidermy anteloupe mounted above the bed? and usually, the television in one of those rooms is in front of the bed, where you can lay on your back and watch it. even weirder is that the couch is not pointing towards it. that cigarette is also much too big. last- why is there a light right next to that window? there's not much reason for that as windows are typically installed to light rooms naturally.

Screenshot 3-
the 3ds max teapot is a nice touch, but everything in here looks too short. those cabinets would look better if they were taller, and the wallmounts should probably be grazing the ceiling. The light needs an illuminationmap, and I understand it's an industrial kitchen, but it probably doesn't need that giant wallmount outdoor A/C unit and could easily substitute a nice small ceiling vent.

sorry I'm such a harsh critic I really do like this game.

imageflock.com/img/1352257476.gif[/img]
Hire Me! I model, animate, cook, clean, and texture!
BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2012 18:11 Edited at: 20th Dec 2012 18:19
Hey guys. Thanks again for the support. And it's cool Bugsy, I'm very very harsh on myself until things seem almost right. I'm glad you like the game though, and I'll be back to editing some of that stuff around sometime soon.

It's almost Christmas time however and I bring the gift of Oranges! And if you all read above, Oranges are a fickled things. Look past the layer you see and find out a little bit more about itself on the inside... They also smell great too. Enjoy the videos, gentlemen. I hope you like em.

showcasing this little thing I came up with. I scripted some lights to flash faster and randomly pause at times to give off a flashing police car effect.
http://youtu.be/q32ccBWWnk0

[center]Like stated beforehand, there's gonna be a few secrets in all of the levels. Here is one of them. Say hello to Flake.[center]

http://youtu.be/MGpQi3M1gJ8

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2012 11:24 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2012 11:25
Since I don't exactly like asking questions without giving something in return... Here's a screenshot from the second level of the game: the basement of the hotel. Hope you like it.

However, I had a question that I hope somebody here has the answer to. The first level of my game acts like a tutorial/story establishing instrument. No kills, no gun play. Just a short look at this, take these pills, now lament and think about life. I got all those parts down in scripting. But I'm trying to find a way to either turn a static entity into a dynamic entity flawlessly and quietly, or to turn a "feature" for an entity on.

The scene goes like this: Adrian is prompted to take some pills to aid his chronic headaches which are in the bathroom. Once taken, Adrian narrates about how he could hear the TV in the other room, where a news report details his recent escape. Then, you're prompted to go into the living room and watch the news report (walking up, pressing 'E'). Now, of course I can't have the TV not be there, and then spawn after Gray takes the pills. But I'm having a hard time figuring out how I can turn the "PRESS 'E' TO WATCH THE TELEVISION" mechanic on. Can anybody care to help?

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 22nd Dec 2012 14:32
Put a triggerzone in the bathroom that destroys the first TV and spawns a second one? If the sound is assigned to the TV, you won't need narration as it will play the audio it should when activated/spawned. There are probably more options, but not knowing your exact situation...

Brian.

!retupmoc eht ni deppart m'I !pleH

BedsideReaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 10:44 Edited at: 29th Jan 2013 10:45

Hey, dudes. Been a while since I posted. Literally since last year. But I just wanted to say that the game's being worked on still, but I'm now splitting my efforts into two games at once, trying to spare myself from getting burnt out on one game (thanks, ADD). The above picture is just showcasing some of the closer instances of battle in the hotel. The only thing missing here is the actual enemies that I plan on using.

I have one question that's been bothering me however and I was hoping I could get some closure on. It seems that most, if not all automatic weapons have a broken cyclic rate/sound. I know how to toy with it in the gunspec and stuff, but I can't get a grasp on how to properly work the gunspec values. For example, does a higher fireloop value mean the gun's sounds shoot slower, or faster? The G3 right now sounds like a jackhammer, but only shoots a round a second. Thanks ahead!

BedsideReaper

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2013 14:30
Thread Locked

This thread has been locked for the following reason: Author's Request.

AUP Section 3.17 ...Moderators shall, at their discretion, determine what constitutes a violation of these terms, along with generally accepted netiquette standards, and can take action against those who violate these rules.

If you contributed to the reason for locking, you may now find yourself on moderation, or in extreme cases a ban.

-Keith

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 22:16:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 22:16:54