Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / 2D engine with map editing+physics

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2012 18:00 Edited at: 12th Feb 2013 00:58
-----------[EDIT]--------

most recent vid:

---------[END EDIT]-----------

Engine featuring tile based editing (including ingame) for a large scrollable world

STILL EARLY DAYS, HAVE TO MAKE CHARACTER ANIMATIONS (face has been edited and designed to be fully customisable and animated)

tiles automatically smooth to one another
shadowing and lighting quality adjusts to the fps to keep highest possible smooth gameplay.
map is constantly saved to all editions.
fully physics based and collidable/destructable HUGE maps.

sup
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 25th Dec 2012 02:14
This is with DBP, correct?

Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
@MrValentine

yea why? No update to upload for 5 days as away for xmas. Working on it still though.

includes editor to make custom ragdolls (add limbs and set limits), custom faces and animations (pupils look around, blinking randomly e.t.c.) and animation making for the ragdoll (set limbs to positions for each frame of animation and it smoothens it out to each frame.) can also go from animation to ragdoll, and back to animation seamlessly...

SMAAD presents GOD (Glory Of Dementia).. wierd music... and games... GLOWWORM BETA DEMO AVAILABLE, PLEASE REVIEW AND GIVE FEEDBACK: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=140564&b=8
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2012 00:14
Cool, what Physics engine are you utilising at present?

Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
Box2d.

The lighting and other features are off of all the standard commands.

sup
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2012 00:25
Quote: "The lighting and other features are off of all the standard commands."

Nice!

But how?

Intrigue us

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2012 03:19
that looks really good mate.

lol I do feel sorry for your crash test guy, cant you at least give him a helmet?

Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
lighting was done with 2 sprite overlapping the screen. 1 semi transparent for the coloured and blend lighting. And one solid for the dark lighting that is opaque and you cant see.

@Kezzla

thanks! Had hardly any interest from anyone so far and was losing faith

he has a running animation ready to be implemented so he will only fall around when receiving heavy blow or death will do update vid when back from gf's family on new years eve.

sup
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2012 17:08
keep going mate! I delved briefly into true 2d platforming. I encountered obstacles beyond my willingness to persevere, I instead moved onto a 3d/2d scroller. To achieve what you have achieved is really awesome. I will watch this project with interest. you have the basic building blocks of any 2d scroller you wish to build.
again, great work mate.

kezzla

Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 02:13

Astronomical dude!

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 21:36
Hmm, why hasn't anybody mentioned anything about the character not having any clothes on?

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses, keep it up.

Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 23:03 Edited at: 31st Dec 2012 23:03
yea.... well he is genital-less anyway... kinda like an action man or something. Didn't want to default him to anything. Might put some underpants on him for the next vids hehe

my little brother pointed out that if you forget the fact this is a game test vid, it is literally a smiling naked man running into a cave and turning off a light, haha.

sup
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2012 23:49
Quote: "it is literally a smiling naked man running into a cave and turning off a light, haha."

Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
http://www.indiedb.com/games/nihiliticia

Started an indiedb page to keep on top of things.

Also to be naming the game Nihiliticia.

Any way to change the thread of this forum to Nihiliticia?

sup
Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
Made First Editor substantially more user-friendly (won't be available to casual users)

HOW IT WORKS:

Lets say you want to make a wolf character
You make several images, for example named "AverageWolf0". Average is not necessary but is incase you wanted to create another wolf skeleton e.g. LargeWolf or FatWolf or something. The zero on the end represents this is the default image.
You have folders in the directory for different limbs, and you drop each image into these seperate folders (so there is averagewolf0.png in each of the folders in the directory that are required)
When opening the game, the main menu will have the Developer option. Selecting this, you will input a name. You would then input averagewolf and it will detect all the image files you saved.

Character Creation - creates a ragdoll and sets limits
Character Animation - sets ragdolls rotation to frames
Face Creator - Creates a detailed character face
Face Animation - Create animations for the character face
Equipment Creator - Create visual equipment for the ragdoll

All editing uses scroll-bars and requires no knowledge of physics or math.

sup
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2013 11:11
I just stopped by to mention that this looks really cool.

Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks

Stopped updating on here as seemed a lack of interest. But added equipable clothing system, liquids and animated background.

sup
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2013 17:03
Oh so that red stuff is a liquid? I was already wondering about that. Very interesting.

Is the earth still handled by a tile map?

Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
yes. The angles are worked out between each tile and can be destroyed/added realtime, with the angles re-adjusting where necessary.

The liquid looks more liquidy while its running, but i need to make it bridge a bit better between itself and the earth, and make it darker with greater depth which should be easy.

every block is colourable, holding RGB and ALPHA data. Place every block can have attributes changed (such as appearance)

Physics work even offscreen on any part of the map. Am trying to make it so ground and structures collapse into physics blocks when under stress, then return to a tile block when the physics blocks movement has almost stopped.

sup
Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2013 21:25 Edited at: 12th Feb 2013 00:57
Lotsa updates, feedback welcome :

sup
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2013 12:12
Really good. Not many platformers around that take the path you are taking. Like the fluid techniques and everything.

Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the kind words!

Doesn't seem very popular though :/

sup
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2013 20:09
Quote: "Doesn't seem very popular though :/"

how do you mean?

Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
Not sure, very very few replies. Have been posting this on many websites to little or no reply.

I get very occassionally complimented on it, but having worked on it for a few months now, it just seems to be ignored and unknown.

I'm not sure if thats a good thing because people have nothing bad to say....
Or its a bad thing cause noone cares.

And after seeing carnage live project get dropped, kinda makes you think as that seemed like a pretty robust game, and i was sad to see it not get much feedback on crowdfunding, regardless of the hype brought about it and the number of people following it.

sup
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2013 22:18 Edited at: 15th Feb 2013 22:22
I see what you mean; and yes Fallout's game did seem robust.

I don't get much comments either, but I don't really expect it.

For one there is only 20 or so people on the forum at a given time, and many of them are lounging or in the FPSC / AppGame Kit boards.

Two, your own vision is way more clearer to yourself than it is to people who can only see videos and screenshots. They will look at things at face value, while you are looking at the potential; you see what comes next, they just see the screenshot.

Three, it takes knowledge of the field to know what to say and what not to say in a WIP; some guys don't really know how to make a reply to a WIP, it can be quite intimidating for them because they do not want to sound stupid saying something like 'Uh, yeah that is really good you know'; "why"; 'umm i don't know...'

You won't get many comments at first, but when you do finish it, you might start wishing you had less comments to read through.

Like I said, I don't get much comments but I don't focus on that; I look at the webtraffic and analytics reports; it tells a different story; it shows what people like and why. OK, you don't have a website, but you can see by your post view count that there is interest; keep an eye on it daily, do you know what day of the week is the busiest? Not all interested ones will comment straight away; some of my commentors didn't post for months. I didn't post on the TGC website for years after purchasing DBPRO.

I can see how much work you've done in the first 30 seconds of the video, just buy looking at the joints and the fluid and the seamless tile; but others can't really see what goes into it. Just like Steven Spielberg said, people don't care what goes into it, they care about what they get out of it; early in development people won't have much to say.

I have been replying to Fallouts messages about Carnage. He feels that it was too early for Kick Starter; personally I agree, it was just too early, not enough exposure. KS is not quite as much of a marketing tool as they make it out to be.

Personally I am making a game I want to play, so KS is irrelevant to me; I just want to play my game; I am playing it now; my goal is to entertain myself to 20 hours of it per week; if I can easily play 20 hours, I expect others to want to play 10.

One word about your graphics; I think you should use some royalty free creative commons tilework if your not into the graphic design field; currently the visuals distract the audience away from its potential by looking a bit flat. If you are into graphic design then try to work from real references; forget using other games, nothing beats the reality as a reference. My reference library has few games; lots of real photos.

Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2013 22:37 Edited at: 15th Feb 2013 22:39
Hmm, thanks for the words oh wisdom! I'll take it all onboard and push on as you seem to know your stuff

Do you reckon then that it is better to update irregularly in bigger chunks rather than trying eagerly at this early stage to get people interested? thinking i might be jumping the gun a bit...

p.s. is your game progress on the net or is it just on your computer at the moment?

sup
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2013 23:12 Edited at: 15th Feb 2013 23:23
Personally I structure progress logs into program versions, as part of a plan. Currently I am working on 0.38. My latest progress log was for 0.365, but I flew past 0.37 so fast there is no point me focusing my update on it; so I will post my next log at 0.38.

I can't see an issue with making a new post everyday about your project; but personally I tend to feel comfortable dedicating a single day per week for posting, since there are many sites to post on and a website to update.

It is priceless information for later on, helps you keep track of things; so I do post quite alot of details about what I do. Like what I was saying to Dimis it is important to proove you actually did the work.

The more I write the more I can remember what was done; the more keywords the google search bot has to play with; the more people with different interests can choose what they want to read; some people read for the sake of it.

Some of my posts take hours to write, but I think it is worth it. It shows dedication and interest. Some people post loads of screenshots, which is also good. Some people like to do videos; personally I think they are time consuming unless you have it all automated. I only have about 3 or 4 about the actual game so far.

The best way to get comments right away is to ask questions; prompt action. Sometimes people miss the question as your post goes down the list, just bump it up again; ask plenty of questions and more people will reply.

I'll admit that I don't ask any questions in my thread because I simply haven't reached the stage for the questions I want to ask yet; but you might have some questions you want to ask the community about your project; but beware of "constructive criticism".

Edit: Getting a banner link to your thread also helps people to find you. Not everybody remembers that the WIP exists...

Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
Crazy...

Hmm, cool cool. I don't mind "constructive criticism". It's alot more preferable than the ol' cold shoulder

But overall i guess i should just knuckle down with the project at hand rather than trying to get people interested in nothing, haha.

Thanks for the helpful advice though, its given me a necessary kick in the rear.

<back to programming>

sup
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2013 01:05
i think you'll get more comments as you get closer to the end and people see what the finished product will look like...

so many times people see a game start off strong in developement then disappear and is never finished. the constant disappointment makes people a little jaded...

just keep plugging away and make the game you want.

gamer, lover, filmmaker
Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2013 01:46 Edited at: 18th Feb 2013 10:05
Just been pushing on with artwork... linked several accounts to make updating alot easier...

follow on twitter, youtube, indieDB or facebook!:
https://twitter.com/SMAADnet
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrSmaadmin
http://www.indiedb.com/games/nihiliticia
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SMAAD/288876797668?ref=hl

sup
Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
Put items in the game.

Split screen is working. Currently can scroll the different cameras and they have their own backgrounds and lighting running. As can see in screenshot the character can be seen in all views. Runs fine but have to make image priorities, face features and slope blocks compatible with split screen. Engine still fully runs, even on low graphics 4 split screens on an integrated graphics laptop at over 60 fps. On a standard computer it runs fiiine.

sup
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2013 22:58 Edited at: 24th Feb 2013 22:59
Split screen rules!

Truely, i mean, many like to declare split screen is dead and not needed, but that's so stupid to say. I always loved playing with others on one single machine. I kinda got bored of separate multiplayer around the very early 2000s...

That falloff shadowing is real nice, but i really think that it should only look like this under water... if you think about it.

To be honest i don't really care much about these 2d scroller engines some develop here and there, they tend to be boring basic stuff. What dragged me in here was that i spotted the fluid system right before i almost closed this window! That is exactly the same i developed for one of my canned side view shoot'em / strategy projects about 2 years before, got the physics right, but not yet the look as you did, well done!

And don't feel lonely by any means, it's sad but here this much attention you got so far is actually above average.

-Mental Hybrid: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~40% (primary project)
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS (canned) ~15%
Smaadmin
Years of Service
User Offline
The funny thing with split screen, is people moan if its not there, but say its not necessary if it is.

As time goes on, PC's are becoming equal, if not cheaper than consoles where as a decent enough PC for basic games was tooo expensive before.

PC games should have the same functionality as consoles too.

above average? Damn that sucks. Are those your games in your sig with the fluids?

sup

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 18:11:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 18:11:53