Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Galaxy - Free roam space exploration / creation game

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2013 13:58 Edited at: 21st Jan 2013 14:02
I'm not quite sure where this one's going yet but I started it over Xmas and managed to get it to a pretty good starting point. I loved Elite (played it for so many years) and wanted to make something that had similar elements but with a little more freedom in terms of what could be influenced in the universe (or galaxy in this case).

The galaxy is created from a random seed and contains around 800-1200 star systems which each contain a number of planets and moons.

You start with the basics of a ship and some raw materials which you will be able to make your ship useable by adding an engine and mining laser. The shape of your ship is up to you and you will be able to add to it by mining asteroids and/or looting other ships.

Once you have a ship you can fly around and explore the galaxy. Eventually I would like to add:
-Full trading system
-Ability to create / customise your own space stations where you can dock / build ships / expand your empire
-Different races / enemies / friends / police. Annoy one race too much and you will end up on their "kill on sight" list...
-Different ship classes with different abilities; cruisers / destroyers / drones etc. You will be able to customise each ship in your fleet individually and leave them manned or unmanned
-Mission system which will allow you to run through missions which are story based and / or randomly created

At the moment you can create a basic ship by adding hull sections but I have yet to add engines / weapons / other materials to the editor.

It's pretty basic so far but I haven't had much time to work on it. I am quite pleased with the ship editor so far which created a single obj file for each ship. I really want to get the basic engine / weapon system in next as well as expand on the star system creation code. Each system is created the first time you enter it and stored on your machine but at the moment this just consists of a sun and a number of planets which are just untextured spheres.

Let me know what you think of the idea and any ideas for the game would be appreciated although I'm not sure if/when I'll get the time to finish the darned thing

I want the game to be simple but easy for the player to expand upon. Imagine having a space station you can make as large and weird as you like. Build your own death star, or fly the enterprise around if you like. That's what I imagine this game being good for.

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2013 13:59
Image post

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2013 14:00
Image 3

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2013 14:01
Image 4

Attachments

MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2013 14:12
great beginning Bax !

i hope you will find some time to evolve it
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 21st Jan 2013 14:23
Interesting!

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2013 15:07
wonderful! It's a pity that I cannot try it, since the graphic adapter of my laptop does not support OpenGL2. BTW, any news about that?
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2013 20:46 Edited at: 21st Jan 2013 20:48
And again we see why they hired you as a fulltime employe

Its funny to see how you and i think alike sometimes

The way you create your ships whas my first idea for the level editor.
But after some investigation so did i find it hard to do with whole levels for mobile devices.
And the obj generation would get extremely complicated with shaders and texture data in it.
And to not talk about the size of the obj file

I have my suspicion on how you create the obj data as you seam to do the box mesh with multiple planes where you grabb the planes corners to get the vertex coords.

I have a suggestion on that you use an extra dat file for agk internal primitives as limbs on the ship?

Its alot easier to do then to write all the obj data for spheres and cones that could be usefull for cockpit and engines.
I even wrote an simple limb function for agk that could be usefull.
The performance impact shouldt be to large if you limit the use to 4-6 limbs for cockpit and engines.

And i think tgc should support this project as it could be a great showcase for wath agk can do.

Iam willing to help you as much as i can if you only ask me
But there is not much i can help a agk wizzard with

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 16:31 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2013 16:31
So that's what TGC labolatories hide.
Althrough, I'd like to see some more in-game footage, it's already looking rad.

Good work!

Follow me on twitter! @MotionStruct
Motion Struct blog
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 16:46
Thanks kamac. There's not much of a game at the moment. So far all you can do is create a basic ship and fly it around a simple system. I'll be adding to it soon.

Quote: "I have my suspicion on how you create the obj data as you seam to do the box mesh with multiple planes where you grabb the planes corners to get the vertex coords."

I'm just creating a simple box for each box added to the ship mesh in the editor. I have also started saving some data in the obj file as remarks which I will use later. I plan on using a single texture containing all the required textures and using offset uv values in the obj file to use different textures.

Quote: "Its alot easier to do then to write all the obj data for spheres and cones that could be usefull for cockpit and engines."

I do plan on adding more simple geometry at some point and will need to add some interesting engines and weapons later too. This shouldn't be terribly hard using a set of basic object files to start with.

Quote: "And i think tgc should support this project as it could be a great showcase for wath agk can do."

Perhaps but I need to switch off from my main project work sometimes

Quote: "Iam willing to help you as much as i can if you only ask me"

Thanks Cliff, I'll see how it goes to start with but I'm sure your knowledge of shaders could come in very handy at some point!

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 17:32
This looks realy cool so far, i as thinking about making a game like this to a while ago
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 19:59
Quote: "Thanks Cliff, I'll see how it goes to start with but I'm sure your knowledge of shaders could come in very handy at some point!"

I will do my best when its neaded

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 10:52:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 10:52:57