Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Hello DarkBASIC Coders.....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
.....Hello everybody, This is my first post here on the forums.

I recently bought myself a copy of DBPro and I've been reading as many tutorials as I can, what I have seen Demo-wise so far is quite impressive. I've been programming as a hobby since the 8-Bit days of the ZX Spectrum with its 48K of RAM and I'd like to try my hand at coding an isometric platformer like Head Over Heels or Batman.

I've seen mention here and there of an alternative IDE called CodeSurge, but I'm not sure what the latest version is, if someone could clarify that for me and link to it I'd appreciate it, thanks, as I'd rather use that if it's an improvement on the built-in IDE.

Thanks for reading
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2013 00:46
Hi, and welcome to the forums!

As a user with 7 years of DarkBASIC experience I can safely tell you that it's a great language to start you off in today's game development world.

I've used CodeSurge as well, but I found Indigo to be more superior.

TheComet

http://blankflankstudios.tumblr.com/
"ZIP files are such a retarded format!" - Phaelax
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2013 01:21
I've been using darkbasic for nearly 15 years now and made this site a few years back:
http://dbcodecorner.com/?page=resources

I try to keep it updated with the latest DB stuff, among which is a list of editors.

Welcome to the collective, err I mean Forum!

"You're all wrong. You're all idiots." ~Fluffy Rabbit
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 14th Feb 2013 02:33
Hi The Th!ng - Welcome to the [Prison] err Forum [From which there is no escape] err To which you are most welcome

Those two up above know what they are doing with DBP, and I would head their [Magical Trickery] 'cough' Advice well!

I as well as many other users bought many of the paid plugins, keep in mind there are a bunch of free community free variants too to keep your eyes out for, if you have any questions relating to ay of the paid bar a few of them, just ask me or any other member of the forum, or try a forum search in the forum search box at the base of the site, the one in the middle...

And welcome to one of the best [MLP] err Humoristic Developer Forums on the [World Weird Web] err World Wide Web, we hope to see more of your work and efforts soon and help you along your way

Happy Coding

[P.S. AVOID THE POSTING COMPETITION THREAD AT ALL COSTS! and SEEK REFUGE IN THE MLP THRAD!- You have not been forewarned!]

Joking aside, Welcome aboard!

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2013 00:54
Indigo is pretty nice, is there a way to force-update syntax highlighting? I've noticed it's only applied when you edit the line.

^ That's what she said.
The Th!ng
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys.

Indigo does looks good, I'm just wondering what is meant by "expires" as in [2012-12-31]Indigo Version 1.3.3 {expires 2013-06-30}? Does it stop functioning at the end of June unless I donate $10 or more? Has there been many professional games coded in DBPro over the years?
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2013 15:29 Edited at: 16th Feb 2013 15:31
There are a number of features excluded in the default free edition of Indigo; but it is the best I've used and I have used them all. I don't know if the free edition expires or not. As a regular user of Microsoft Visual Studio, I am really fussy, but Indigo handles my work nicely. It is not finished, but has the right kind of features in the right places; some general features in there are not even in MSVS.

Good examples of what you can make in DBPRO are in the WIP and Program Announcements board.

Malevolence is a game currently being released, which is the current most popular DBP game out there. (I am downloading it to give it a try today)

DBPRO isn't going to give you the best in all departments; buts its strength is that it is easy to learn, very down to earth, expandable via plugins, works well on all major versions of Windows, has a supportive community and doesn't bombard you with 100s of libraries and documents to go figure; you don't have to spend all week to set up a new project. The down to earth practical functions are easy to access; no namespace jungles to go through to find commands. Can work with LUA, XML, INI files quite easily. Has one of the best network tools out there. Plenty of terrain and tree tools.

Weaknesses; Array system is poor, absolute monstrosity; about 10 words just to iterate an array (Although there is a technical workaround). Debugger doesn't work with certain plugins. No OOP, class inheritance, interface or inline extensions or anything like that. No dedicated level editor; makes asset production a problem although FPS Creator editor levels can work with DBP's object commands, but is not straight forward to learn. Unoptimized and sluggish; very easy to create lag, difficult to get rid of it; half your life is spent optimizing; but don't let anyone tell you it can't be optimized, just because one person can't optimize doesn't mean another person can't either; it depends you knowing what you are doing and what it is you are creating.

In one engine you get 30 FPS with a couple of shaders and objects, in another engine you get 300 FPS with the same thing; thing is, in such engines you also have to pay 300 times more money and are bombarded with 300 times more documentation, and namespaces to read through; sometimes documentation is a luxury; but there is plenty of documentation for DBP all over the place.

Happy Coding!

Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2013 02:05
I really like Indigo. Having donated a couple of times, Balid sets an example for all developers, listening to his fans and implementing their ideas (so long as they're good ideas, heh). If you'd like to see a feature in Indigo, simply ask him in the thread.

Help build an online DarkBASIC Professional help archive.
DarkBasic Help Wikia
Dragon slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2013 18:09
I have been using the new DBP editor that you can get with the latest upgrade. I bought DBP years ago. They may ship it with the new editor now. Don't know. I think the new editor is the synergy editor. I like it and have not had any problems. I also like Indigo.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 02:46:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 02:46:46