Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / The Channel Sources DarkGame Studio - should I get it?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was browsing Walmart's website recently and I chanced to come across this 3D PC game creation studio http://www.walmart.com/ip/Channel-Sources-DarkGame-Studio/15120616

and I don't know anything about this product except that its a game creation kit that has everything you need in it, and it runs in the C programming language.

What I'd like to know is, can this kit be used to create adventure games that are only as limited as your imagination?

Does this program use a command-line interface to create games, or does it use a point and click, point and drag interface?

I'd rather use a point and click/point and drag interface in a game development kit instead on using a command line interface.

I understand that this kit costs $80, I believe it's a hard copy, since I'd rather have the hard copy of this program than a download - am I correct in assuming this?

Thanks in advance.

And please, mods, if this post is in the wrong forum, could you please move it to the appropriate forum and let me know where you moved it, b/c this is my first time here, and I know nothing about this forum at all, having discovered it only recently.
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
[href=http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2125
]http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2125
[/href]
Only $50 from the company that actually made it (Note the Dark Game Studio Bonanza deal).

So your questions:

The C thing isn't really correct, though it DOES include DarkGDK (Dark Game Development Kit). It is a C++ wrapper for the DarkBASIC Professional language.

The languages (DarkGDK, DarkBASIC Classic, DarkBASIC PRO) included can be used to create ANY KIND OF PROGRAM YOU WANT (I've used them for utility programs) but are geared mostly for gaming (they will all require directX). You can make any kind of game, limited only by your imagination, programming skill, and resource acquisition ability (it comes with a lot of basic stuff to learn with, but you will usually have to make your own graphics and models).

FPS Creator (Included) is a point and click FPS creation program. DBPro, DBClassic, and DarkGDK are all based on standard programming (you get a big white screen and you get to start typing commands). It doesn't use the command line (although GDK, as a c++ based language, can have some overlap, but I don't have much experience).

Point and click is easier, I'll give you that, but it also (in my experience) significantly limits what you can do with it (and you would still need to learn some kind of programming, just with navigating menus instead of typing them). In my experience, it's best to just learn the language (it's harder, but worth it in the end). And if you are a bit worried about the prospect of learning a programming language, just know that this is an awesome community and we love to help people.

A general word of caution, though: even if you bought this today, you will not, under any circumstances, be able to make an MMORPG or any other type of major game in any short amount of time. Many have come with high hopes only to have them crushed when they get stuck with basic problems. With enough time and dedication, you can become proficient enough to do these things, but the package doesn't make the programmer. Start small. A Pong clone, or an old arcade game clone. These will teach you the fundamental concepts you need to do more advanced things. I would also recommend sticking with 2D for a while. 3D is easier to get started with, but 2D will teach you the most important basic concepts first (math starts to get complicated when you add a 3rd dimension). After that, your 3D games will be much better.

Hope this sheds some light on things. Ask any questions you have! And please, don't let this sound in any way discouraging. Programming is a challenge but can be very rewarding if you stick with it!

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 17th Feb 2013 13:29
Hi AlienBZ and Welcome to the Forums

This is the product BN2 was talking about above

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_bundle&id=54

Keep in mind there is shipping and any taxes added on top, so it might work out the same, only difference... a big huge massive one... I am not sure what you get with the boxed edition but by purchasing it through the TGC, you WILL get the opportunity to download it through your account...

Keep in mind the DVD box is great, but many of the products are outdated now... [2008 release] Only point is that you will need to download their patches and they are fine and dandy again

I must inform you than they [TGC] are soon to release a new updated version in the next 4-8 weeks I believe, but the price may go back up, and the only difference aside from possible added goodies would be that most items come with the latest patches, the main one being DBPro and the extra awesome AND VERY USEFUL plugins Dark A.I., DarkPhysics! and eXtends... which come on the DVD as well as in your web account! [There are more that you can purchase, as well as free community driven ones! new ones added every now and then!]

However aside from some handy and interesting videos on the DVD you can download pretty much all of the programs from your user account along with the latest patches to bring them up to date albeit their last bug fix releases...

Anyway I could go on... but the question is, what kind of adventure game do you aim to create? if it is First Person based then you may want to look at the FPSC line of product... I shall not link here as at present there is a varied selection of offers on it including its soon to be released later this year latest incarnation, so Although the task of learning to program feels like climbing mount Everest with nothing other than a tooth pick and some frozen coffee... have a look at these priceless books!

Volume 1
Volume 2

Scroll down past the physical book price to find the digital version which you can get sooner than the physical version

These two books taught me almost everything I know and I went from there, and the best part, they take no more than 2 weeks to 4 weeks each to complete! [On and off with life added to the equation ]

Also there are a plethora of tutorials here on the forum and as mentioned if you get stuck, you have a lot of willing to help forumites [forum members] on here who are more than happy to help out also check out these two very handy links:
Current Newsletters
Archived Back Issues
I strongly advise reading them all... I started a month ago myself and I have just about 58 left to catch up to where I started in 2010 but you can learn so much about coding, as well as about TGC overall!

Time for me to have some See you around!

And if you need any help, just shout out!

AlienBZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you so much for replying and for welcoming me here.

I was looking for the "reply" button to reply to my own post, and I clicked on the "report abuse" button (lower right of the forum page, on the bottom) by mistake, thought it was the 'reply" button.

Anyway, after registering on the 17th of this month and posting, I stumbled upon this

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2128

which seems to indicate that I can get a free d/l of Dark GDK, so I d/l it. and also I d/l the directX, and the Oct '10 update. Yet you're saying it costs $50. I don't get it?

Anyway, I do not wish to create MMORPG's at all, I only wish to create standard, stand-alone 3rd person adventure games, with no fighting/self defense/quick reflexes involved in gameplay.

Thank you so much for advising me to make a small game. I like PC games, and I intend to use the Dark GDK to create PC games.

I have been playing PC games since about 1995, which were MS-Dos games, some came on CD's and others came on 3.5 inch floppies.

I will take your advise and create small games at first (in fact, this never occurred to me at all until you mentioned this and I kept wondering when/how many months/years it was going to take me to create my games).

Could you please tell me (that is, if you happen to know) what size program should I aim for - such as 3.5 inch floppy disk (~1.44 MB's) size or single CD (~700 MB's) size, or what?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 26th Feb 2013 09:17
Depends on your Internet connection speed and bandwidth really...

AlienBZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Does this mean that the Dark GDK that I d/l will only enable me to create online games?

I thought I could specify whatever kind of game I want to make - online kind, offline kind, b/c I want to create only the offline kind of games, you know, install, play, save, load, etc, all completely offline, with absolutely no need for whoever receives this game to go online - is this possible with this Dark GDK?

And what about that d/l I mentioned - on the website where I d/l it from it says "free". So I believed it and d/l the GDK from that webpage I linked you to in last night's post. So did I do the right thing?

Actually, I d/l it onto my Macbook Pro for later transfer to a PC, and the file says "Dark GDK.msi", it is 217.9 MB in size. Is this the entire GDK, or what?

Curious.
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2013 19:24 Edited at: 27th Feb 2013 19:25
Quote: "Could you please tell me (that is, if you happen to know) what size program should I aim for - such as 3.5 inch floppy disk (~1.44 MB's) size or single CD (~700 MB's) size, or what? "

This isn't like creating a DOS game of the past where you would create your own engine and you'd have specific media limits. The initial size will be the size of the libraries and engine that will be the "driver" of your game. From there, the media you add and the code you write will add to that inital size. It's very unlikely that you'd have anything as small as a 3.5 floppy.

To get an idea of a starting size, create a program that loads in a house, save the program, and see how large it is. That'll give you a sort of bare bones idea. From there, you can only expect the size to go up based on your media and your code.

Enjoy your day.
AlienBZ
Years of Service
User Offline
I was also asking if this file that I d/l it onto my Macbook Pro for later transfer to a PC, and the file says "Dark GDK.msi", it is 217.9 MB in size. Is this the entire GDK, or what?

So far, I still haven't received any specific answers to this question - could you please let me know?
AlienBZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello? Is anyone here?

A week or 2 ago I came across the free version of the Dark Basic GDK and I ordered this book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1592000096/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

so I d/l the free version of Dark Basic & installed it in a virtual machine (VMWare Player running Vista 32-bit guest) with 3D acceleration and USB support, I tried installing it in the VM and it installed just fine.

Has anyone ever used this book?

If so, what do you guys think of it?

I believe the free version of Dark Basic does have 3D acceleration/Direct X?
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Apr 2013 13:24
The free version of DarkBASIC? You mean the free version of DarkBASIC Pro? They are two different things. There is no such thing as "3D acceleration". DirectX is present on every version of DarkBASIC as well as DarkGDK. That is part of the reason why there are no non-Windows versions of these programs.
Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2013 22:15
Quote: "
I believe the free version of Dark Basic does have 3D acceleration/Direct X? "

free amd commercial versions are the same. You need commercial version if you want to sell what you create in it

Quote: "I believe the free version of Dark Basic does have 3D acceleration/Direct X? "

they are the same, you'll have to download directx 9.0c and install it first

Quote: "I was also asking if this file that I d/l it onto my Macbook Pro for later transfer to a PC, and the file says "Dark GDK.msi", it is 217.9 MB in size. Is this the entire GDK, or what?"

yes, that is it

Quote: " Does this mean that the Dark GDK that I d/l will only enable me to create online games?"

no, dark gdk is only for offline games

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Apr 2013 00:27
Quote: "no, dark gdk is only for offline games"

Well, that is debatable. DarkGDK is a C++ library. People have made multiplayer/online games in C++. In fact, Multisync, a popular DarkBASIC-compatible networking library, was written in C++.
AlienBZ
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm also using a 3D modeling program, called 3DS Max 2011, in which I d/l free people, buildings, furniture, space ships, etc, that I'm planning on using to make a movie (this is another story), and I'm wondering, since I also have CryEngine3, which uses 3DS max (a special plugin links the 2 programs), is there any way that Dark basic (yes I d/l the BBB GUI plugin, TopGUI, USkin, and Gui2) can be linked with 3DS Max, or any other 3D modeling software for that matter?

If so, could you please let me know how this can be done?
Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 25th May 2013 08:05
@alienBZ-

The workflow for getting 3D models from 3DS Max into DarkBASIC is very simple. Just export as .3DS or .X format and you can load them in with DarkBASIC code. Is that what you are asking about?

AlienBZ
Years of Service
User Offline
[quote]The workflow for getting 3D models from 3DS Max into DarkBASIC is very simple. Just export as .3DS or .X format and you can load them in with DarkBASIC code. Is that what you are asking about?
/quote]

Yes.

Does this mean I really don't need all these plugins that I d/l (the BBB GUI plugin, TopGUI, USkin, and Gui2) after all?

How exactly do you load these .3ds exports into Dark Basic - code, please?
AlienBZ
Years of Service
User Offline
@Fluffy Rabbit - I forgot to add, recall that Dark Basic book I bought - do you happen to know if this book has code instructions for loading .3ds model exports into Dark Basic?
AlienBZ
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quote
free amd commercial versions are the same. You need commercial version if you want to sell what you create in it"

No, I don't wish to sell the games I will create, but burn them to CD/DVD with popup installer (upon disc insertion into optical drive, menu, etc is this possible with Dark Basic - now I'm assuming it is) to pass on to my future customers either by hand (after I'm in the computer repair business as my complimentary free gift to them in return for choosing my business) or as a digital d/l for free from my future website (that is, after I someday have my own website)?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 15:48:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 15:48:03