Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Load OGG files and many more...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2013 04:23
As an interim to the DarkDumb V2.0 I am working on, I've quickly made this.

Instead of having WAV files that take up tons of disk space, you can now compress your music and sounds and use this to load them in. A great 'FREE' utility is 'Audacity' which can convert audio file formats.

One command: (all that's needed)

LOAD SOUND FILE file$, soundID

And then do whatever else you want with the sound in DBP.

Formats it claims to load, although I've not tested all of them: (ogg is sufficient enough)

ogg, wav, flac, aiff, au, raw, paf, svx, nist, voc, ircam, w64, mat4, mat5 pvf, htk, sds, avr, sd2, caf, wve, mpc2k, rf64

Does not play MP3 and I have tried unsuccessfully to play FLAC files.

Instructions (follow closely)

1. Copy all dll's to the plugins/user directory.
2. Copy the ini to the editor/keywords directory.
3. Enjoy.

However you may need to include "libsndfile-1.dll" with your exe.

Archive is attached to this post...
Sample ogg file provided by MrValentine for testing purposes.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2013 11:16
Nice to see some sound plugins being made, I will try them out when I get the chance.

Conversion is real handy however I hope that what I am about to say doesn't cause any upsets, but did you know that the standard Load Sound command in DBP can load .OGG files?

These kind of undocumented capabilities cause me to often look-up Lee's source code where I found this out.

But at least your plugin supports the other formats.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2013 12:58
@Chris Tate - Nope, I wasn't aware of ogg support in DBP. I had always thought of it as WAV files and MIDI files support only. Even movie playback doesn't seem fully supported or non-existent, although movie playback is another thing I'll be working on.

I'm building up a library for myself of cross-platform stuff from 3D graphics, collision, audio, and tons more. As I'm going along I'll throw some of it together for DBP. The DarkDUMB plugin is a complete library I'm building up for my audio collection, and I can adapt it for DBP. I'm also aware that DUMB and libsndfile will also work with mobile devices too so I'll be testing that out soon as my missus and my daughter have Android phones and my daughter has a tablet too.

I'm just hoping that they will be useful to people along the way.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2013 16:27
I would definitely find your audio plugins useful; I put high emphasis on sound quality.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2013 14:32
@Chris Tate - If you let me know what kind of things you would like from an audio plugin then I'll see over time what I can implement. At the moment I've been implementing 8/16 bit audio samples at 22050/44100 Hz just for playback in 3D space using openAL. Trying to cut down on memory usage by down-mixing audio files/samples. Also I'll be putting together a complete audio library to handle my own music/sounds in one class and for it to be cross-platform eventually. Most things I put together, if I can make them useful for DBP then I will do.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2013 16:30
Cool, call me Chris.

I always like to recommend features that actually get used; so to be sure, I will focus on more audio aspects of my project and use that as a basis for any requests.

I've been doing some car engine functions and looked briefly at EAX effects; I will try out your plugins as I go.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:06:11
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:06:11