Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Books to read to increase my knowledge on game programming

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2013 23:18 Edited at: 1st Mar 2013 14:28
Hello. I am really enjoying these forums; it's good to have another "support network."

So, I've bought the book "Beginner's Guide to DarkBASIC Game Programming," and it's on its way to my doorstep as I type. It should be here soon . . .

Anyway, I learn best by reading, and I freaking love reading books. I already have a game dev book for Unity, but it wasn't really that great. I'm hoping this one will be a lot better, and from what I've seen of it, it will be loads better.

So, I have these books currently in my "queue:"

Mathematics for Game Developers

Artificial Intelligence for Games

Game Engine Design and Implementation

I have looked into these books (literally) and they all seem very good. I would like to know:

a) If any of you have read any of these books, and if so, how informative/explanatory they were

b) If there are any books you know of that explore other aspects of game programming (I would like to find a book about procedural/random generation, for one thing, and maybe a book about C++ or Java).

Basically, I want to learn as much as I can about game programming before I go off to college. I also want to have a game that's at least in Alpha by the time I go, as I think that will greatly improve my programming skills in general.

Are there any other books you really liked and would suggest I read? I would greatly appreciate any that you can suggest.

To finish, I will say that my experience programming is minimal (here is the only project I have made regarding game development/programming; I made it in 1.5-2 mos.) but I am very eager to learn and also very capable of learning, so don't hold back. I plan to sequence my reading progressively, so if you give me a crazy-insane book I'll hold off until I'm sure I'll be able to fully process it.

Oh, and one last thing - if there are any internet resources you particularly like, I'd love links to those, too.

Thanks for the help, guys! I'm loving this place already!

-Wolf
Dragon slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2013 21:27
If you are working with DBP I would recommend the hands on DBP vol 1 and 2 and there are tons of books on C++ and Java just do an amazon search and you will find plenty to keep you busy for years.
Dragon slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2013 21:30
Also for C++, unity and StudioMax check out http://http://www.gameinstitute.com/
xwolfhunter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2013 12:31
Thanks much! I'll definitely look into all of these!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:27:11
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:27:11