Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Java Class game project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2013 12:15 Edited at: 9th Mar 2013 12:17
Yep it was the topic on my online class. They said we should talk about it. There seems to be lots of mario clone source code examples. I was thinking about going for that one on my project or maybe turn it into a NES style of Legend of Zelda. I'm so excited. Anyways it's very late so I'm going to sleep. This is all I wanted to say. I seem to have 6 weeks to work on it.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
So are you saying you've been assigned to program a game in Java over the course of 6 weeks? Well whatever you choose, be creative with it and start simple because of the deadline.

swis
Interstellar
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2013 23:42
6 weeks isn't much time for a large game. If you can invest several hours a day, I think you could do Zelda in that time frame. Come to think of it, I'm gonna try that in java myself now!

"You're all wrong. You're all idiots." ~Fluffy Rabbit
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2013 03:00
Game Idea: You are a freezer who must run around collecting food to freeze, but you must get to a power outlet before everything defrosts! Bonus items to freeze would be things like cats and grannies. You have to manage the inventory space inside the freezer and then find shops to sell your items to, the price you get depends on the quality of the items and how defrosted they are.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2013 19:08
That actually sounds like an amusing game obese!

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2013 23:18 Edited at: 17th Mar 2013 22:41
I actually like Obese's idea too. If I can get the mario clone source code working I'll just go with that and maybe replace clone mario with a freezer. That'd be a funny idea. the star is the granny. the coins are food. The flower is a cat. lol That be fun to play. If I can get it to work I'll do it that way. That way it'll be funny. lol.

update: I will be doing a simple text fighting game using Java's Jpanel for windows and gui and the one other library for pictures and such. There will be no animation though. I saw it once in this forum when I first started on the original DarkBASIC. It was an example that probably came on the program or was it made by someone. Anyways I'm thinking about going for that instead to make things easier. For now I'm just brainstorming and coming up with a pseudo code for it.
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2013 15:32 Edited at: 9th Apr 2013 15:51
here's an update so far of my project. Not much to look at. Took me awhile to set this up since I'm still learning it. Just a lot of random things on it so far. lol. I've decided on a simple click button fighting game. there will be a waiting time between each attack. punch is fast but weak. Kick is high damage but very high wait time. block cuts off 50% of damage and lastly special is just there for the heck of it. lol I'm still trying to load the image of the player and enemy. I might do one or two opponents and that will be it. A short story might be thrown in if I have time. Some of the code is there but turn system and image is what is left. after that I should have the basic stuff done. The other things will be music, sound, menu(optional),background,victiory condition, loss condition. Simple ai will be only a random attack code. I'm still deciding if it's turn based or not. my code is written more for turn based so I might go for it, but I'm not sure.

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2013 09:00 Edited at: 26th Apr 2013 09:13
here's an update sorry if this counts as double post. The picture of the ring is randomly from google. Only punch functions as an actual attack. I took out block, so only punch, kick, and special attack remain. so far no death and the attack hasn't yet been completed. the attack does work but health restarts back to 100 after each attack. btw there's no actual title yet.

Dark Frager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2013 09:32
Looks good so far, work on the UI a bit more and it should be good!

Level 100 Forumer - 456,000 Health, 264,543 Keystroke Power.
Special Abilities: Flame Resistance, Troll Shield.
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2013 02:45 Edited at: 27th Apr 2013 02:55
This is the final version and it was renamed to "War Games". Pictures of the risk board is not mine. Icons are not mines either. I googled them all. Other than that I'm done. AI was based on If-else if and random commands. First picture was based on GUI and the second picture are the message box that shows up during attack sequences. I had no time to do any complex stuff since I didn't know enough to go for it. Turns out I kept making it more simpler until I got this. Simple lesson for today. There is no secret just simple things like K.I.S.S.(keep it simple stupid), begin simple projects, and lastly build games of what you know. lol For these past few years that was the lesson I've learned most. K.I.S.S. btw I've attached my project to those that wants to look at my code or just want to use it or whatever you are fine by me. Next goal is to reuse this code create a turn based system and make some kind of game out of this on my own time using my own artwork this time.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2013 02:06 Edited at: 28th Apr 2013 02:09
So how do you play? Just click attack and it does the rest?

I just caught this part from your first post:
Quote: " I was thinking about going for that one on my project or maybe turn it into a NES style of Legend of Zelda."

I have a fair amount of a zelda clone programmed with DBP and GLBasic. I'd be willing to send you the code if you wanted to take a look at it and play around with the idea.

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2013 11:28
@ Phaelax. Yes just click attack then player 1 does the first attack then it'll be ai next as player 2. each player has a health point of 10 in the code so if you manage to strike higher than 10 then you defeat that person. I couldn't finish the health point system so I did it this way instead. I didn't have enough time to put back the block option as well. the attacks are done in random in the range of 1 to 12. If I was to rework on this it will be much better and I would of did a turn based system I believe might work. Maybe do move selection with different effects. btw I would love to check out your zelda clone. Thank you Phaelax.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2013 02:40
I decided to go ahead and release it for everyone.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=205206&b=6

DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2013 09:14
Thank you Phaelax. You're very kind.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 20:07:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 20:07:31