Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / [X9] Sem Saída - DEMO

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2013 16:30 Edited at: 16th Mar 2013 13:50
Sem Saída

Developed by:

The Cult Studios (Creator: Felipe "Belacios" Costa Ramos)

Engine:

FPS Creator Version: 1.19

Description:

Sem Saída is a brazilian horror game (recently translated to it's english version), with deep story and creepy atmosphere, a bunch of jumpscares awaits you in this journey.

Story:

The story takes place in Nova Esperança, fictional city of São Paulo (Brazil).
You are in control of a regular adult man called Marcos Leme, a simple helper in mail delivery, he is divorced and have a son to take care.
One night at 11PM (already passed his service hours), Marcos is still wandering the city with his arrogant working "partner", with only a mysterious letter addressed to a building that you've never heard about, arriving there, your partner leaves you all alone to make the delivery.
The plot takes place there, in that big building that you had no idea it existed, what is this place? It's really morbid, I don't feel good here, a great discomfort takes over my soul... I want to go home...

Features:

-Game strongly based in story and immersion.
-Creepy atmosphere.
-Plot with antagonists.
-Cutscenes.
-No weapons.
-A lot of jumpscares (Be advised).
-Each door is a stage... Each door leads to a whole different place.
-Retextured models.

Screenshots:

In-Game:

(Not all keys are real)

Main character "Marcos Leme" (cutscene):

Main Antagonist "Vincell Dill Boris VIII" (he is your guide):

----------------

Downloads:

English Version:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/sem-sada-no-way-out/downloads/sem-sada-demo-english-version

Portuguese Version:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/sem-sada-no-way-out/downloads/sem-sada-demo-portugus-brazil

I hope you all like the game, there's a lot of work, Fan-Service and love in that project!
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2013 21:45
I really like the screens so far for this! Hopefully i can find sometime to play your demo and i will give you a quick review
Belacios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2013 13:51 Edited at: 16th Mar 2013 13:51
A review?
Looking foward for it!!
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2013 01:42
Well I played the game and I'm quite impressed with it. The animated cutscenes worked very well for this game. This game alone probably has more story than most FPSC games. It felt very polished, the lightmapping was good. I tell you what though, I had a few decent jumps at certain parts of the game.

Although, I thought I'd be helpful with a few things and give some constructive criticism.

-At the very beginning of the game, I can jump out of the starting area and fall off of the map. Perhaps you should put an invisible wall there to stop exactly that happening.
-The cutscene at the start can be skipped (and probably later ones too). I don't know if this is intentional or not, but they felt important to the game. There is a command to play the full video without skipping, so I thought I should mention something.
-Check out the image attached, you can see the skybox through the window. It doesn't feel like it fits very well, so perhaps there should be something there?

Also there were various grammar errors but that's totally understandable because its been translated.

And don't think I wouldn't notice that sneaky dopefish, lol.

Overall it was a great demo, I think a lot of effort has been put in and with good result. My little criticisms and suggestions are really just picky things, don't take them the wrong way.

Thanks, Burger

- An Instinctive Fear IndieDB page, download demo today!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2013 10:27
Well, I played it and I must say that I liked the cut scenes too. For the most part. When the player first meets the smiling dude, you'd think he'd have a stronger reaction, but instead he reacts to it like it's a minor inconvenience. At least that's how I saw it.

Other thing about the cut scenes is the amount of grammar errors. It's understandable sure, I make a lot of errors (one could probably stop a thousand just from this comment), but at some point it started to feel a bit much. Maybe some proof reading would do good.

Unlike Burger, I think you should keep the cut scenes so that we can skip them. I think unskippable cut scenes are a curse for gaming and should be gotten rid of. If they're important to the game, then you just don't skip them and if you do, that's your own fault. And when I decide to give a second or a third playthrough to a game, I like to be able to skip the scenes, as I already know what's going on and I just want to play the game.

But onto the actual game:

You were able to produce some good atmosphere in my opinion and I too jumped at some of the scares. At points they seemed to be a bit much. Maybe some other scares too, than just jump scares. But when you did create atmosphere, it was good and mostly worked very well. At points I had second thoughts about progressing through a hallway. Good job.

One thing is the chase scene with the mummy. That just didn't work how it was supposed to. I didn't feel any suspense, it just didn't feel like a chase scene. Especially when the enemy, after a certain point, can't follow you anymore.

The overall design was good in my opinion. It could be improved graphically and the places don't feel like they could be from real life at all, but I don't think you were even intending that. As I said, graphics wise, it's nothing special, but the gameplay wise, the design works in favor of the game. For the most part.

So that's my review. If I were to give a number rating, it'd be something like 6/10, which is above average. Even though the game looks like your average FPSC horror game, it has a few moments of good atmosphere and some suspense, which help bringing it above the average point, but not alone. The cut scenes also help with that and they're nicely done. They can be improved still, especially on the grammar department and somewhat on the dialog itself. But I'd still say, give it a try. It's still a very enjoyable demo, but with a few improvements could be a lot better.

Belacios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2013 14:55
Thanks a lot for the constructive criticsm Burger and Metal Devil! That's EXACTLY what I need, I'm trying to make a good game, and it's with criticsm that i'm going to achieve it!

I'm going to put your tips in action right now. With that rating of 6/10 I've seen that I REALLY need to improve my game. lol

Thanks again.
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2013 18:18
Quote: "With that rating of 6/10 I've seen that I REALLY need to improve my game"

6 doesn't really mean bad. Unlike usually when critics use something like 6 or a 7 as the average, I use 5. This doesn't mean it's bad and I even recommended people to play it. But it does that it need polishing to achieve something great, which I think this has the potential to do. I like the setup and the story seems interesting. I hope to see more.

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2013 05:49
Quote: "Unlike Burger, I think you should keep the cut scenes so that we can skip them. I think unskippable cut scenes are a curse for gaming and should be gotten rid of. If they're important to the game, then you just don't skip them and if you do, that's your own fault. And when I decide to give a second or a third playthrough to a game, I like to be able to skip the scenes, as I already know what's going on and I just want to play the game."

I was just pointing out that they could be skipped in case the developer didn't want them to be skipped, which was a thought really. I agree though, they should be able to be skipped at the users choice.

Quote: "Thanks a lot for the constructive criticsm Burger and Metal Devil! That's EXACTLY what I need, I'm trying to make a good game, and it's with criticsm that i'm going to achieve it!"

Its really good to hear. It feels like constructive criticism lacks a little around here, so I decided why not do it myself.

Quote: "With that rating of 6/10 I've seen that I REALLY need to improve my game"

Quote: "6 doesn't really mean bad. Unlike usually when critics use something like 6 or a 7 as the average, I use 5. This doesn't mean it's bad and I even recommended people to play it"

6/10 isn't bad by any means. There's room for improvement, to phrase it best. If you even want, I can help out with the English translations and make them a little more accurate.

Belacios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2013 14:42
I understand, haha.
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, I hope to see more here.

And thanks for the offering Burger, I would be very grateful with your help (if this doesn't take too much of your time).
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2013 03:55
Quote: "And thanks for the offering Burger, I would be very grateful with your help (if this doesn't take too much of your time)"

No worries, it only took a few minutes. I quickly made a notepad document with the changes. It should be easy enough to follow, if its not just post and say.

Thanks, Burger.

Belacios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2013 14:52
Whoa!
Thanks A LOT Burger! It surelly helped me a lot!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:46:25
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:46:25