Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / Uh-Oh! Just Realized DarkBasic Isnt Compatible with my Windows AFTER Buying!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I bought DarkBasic years ago and forgot about it, mainly because my computer had some problems and I couldn't use it. I've now finally remembered about it and tried to download it. And guess what?? Its not compatible with my Windows? Why Didn't I check!?!? (I have Vista)

DarkBasic Pro is compatible though. Is there a way I could swap?? Im guessing not, since I bought it years ago and its my fault for not checking what Windows it was compatible with.....

When I try to start Dark Basic it says:

This application failed to start because d3drm.dll was not found.
Re-Installing the application may fix this problem.

Then, after I click OK, it says this:

Dark Basic Programming Tool has stopped working.
A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly.
Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Then it says this:

Program Compatability Assistant
This program requires a missing Windows component.
Check for a solution on the Microsoft website. If a solution is available, there will be steps you can follow to fix the problem.
Program: Dark Basic Programming Tool
Publisher: Dark Basic Software Ltd
Location: C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark Basic\DB.exe
This program requires d3drm.dll, which is no longer included in this version of Windows.

When I click "Check For Solutions" (Or something similar)

It says this:

Your version of Microsoft Deprecated DLL Components isn't compatable with this version of Windows.
Tap or click to go online to the Microsoft Corporation website for more info and support options.

All that does is bring me to the Microsoft Website, which looks like its no help.

I've uninstalled it, restarted my computer, installed it, restarted my computer then trying it again but still no.

So what do I do? I really want to start making games! I bought the DarkBasic book and everything!!

Windows Vista, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz 2.67GHz, 4.00 GB RAM,32-Bit Operating System.

Antivirus and stuff: Avast Free 8 Antivirus, Malwarebytes Free, SUPERAntiSpyware Free.

Thanks
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

Theres a post at the top of this board that explains how to get DarkBASIC Classic to run on Vista.

Getting Started...

A quick solution is to download the d3drm.dll and put it in the same director as your DB.exe file.

d3drm

Enjoy your day.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2013 17:17
Generally, if a DLL is missing, you can just google it, download it, and place it in the same directory as the executable.

TheComet

Fluffy Rabbit
User Banned
Posted: 27th Mar 2013 04:03
If you update DarkBASIC to version 1.2, you don't need d3drm.dll.
PlumberBrother
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you everyone for replying, I have not forgotten about this topic! I've been busy lately...

@Fluffy Rabbit:

How do I update it if I cant even use it? Do I download and install it, then update it on the website? I am guessing so, so I will try this first.
PlumberBrother
Years of Service
User Offline
I updated DarkBasic and I can run it now! Thanks everyone!

But, it only works when I open DB.exe in the DBC_Update_V1210 folder (The DB update folder). Is this how Im suppose to do it??

I downloaded the update, extracted the folder then I wasn't so sure what to do next so I tried running DB.exe and it looks like DarkBasic but is this way not the right way?

When I try to run the normal DarkBasic.exe (The original, not updated one) it still says its missing the d3drm.dll thing.

Thank you for your time and I apologize for being a bit stupid about updating it...
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2013 05:17
Both DB.exe files are compilers (with a built-in editor), the only difference is the new commands added to the update. The d3drm.dll needs to be in the same folder as the compiler, which it is for the V1.2 folder. If you copy the dll to the default folder the old compiler should work too.

PlumberBrother
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks everyone for your help! It appears my Darkbasic now works!

(But now, looking at tutorials..... it looks..... very hard.... O.o (I've never had experience in programming before...))
Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2013 00:51 Edited at: 27th Apr 2013 00:59
Programming can be hard. It depends on how your brain works. It can be easy too. Just start out simple. Darkbasic allows you to use a few simple commands to create fairly complex results. The following example isn't as simple as you should start out, but it does show that somewhat complex results can come from very little code:

I don't expect you to understand all or most of that code but you may be able to decipher a couple of things.

Of interest may be how easy it is to create a ground object (matrix)

That's an example of how simple it can be just to create a landscape. Now using, texturing, walking on, etc. the landscape is a whole other thing. But DarkBASIC allows you to tackle these problems with relative ease compared to lower level languages like C++ or C.

When you start, read what the individual commands are. You might just try seeing what one or two lines of code can do.

cls rgb(255,0,0)

or
Text 100,100,"I like to eat apples"

or
For n=1 to 5
print "Hello World!"
next n

Enjoy your day.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline