Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Unreal 3 engine..... in javascript?!

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 06:05
If other browsers are able to pick up on this technology it could change online gaming in a big way.

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/03/27/mozilla-is-unlocking-the-power-of-the-web-as-a-platform-for-gaming/

"You're all wrong. You're all idiots." ~Fluffy Rabbit
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 10:40
But... but... IE10 has css3 support

Seriously though, if firefox are doing things like this, I, may have to dstop using chrome. I just wish that they would add some form of accountbound history like chrome so I dont have to type all urls at shcool
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 15:07
This seems pretty cool, hopefully it goes somewhere, but it's Unreal, so it usually does. Anyways it might make me go back to FF, funnily enough I've gone back to IE, which I never thought I'd do, despite it not fully supporting HTML5.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Chrome won't be far behind.

They see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 15:42 Edited at: 29th Mar 2013 16:14
Chrome will be like, pfft we're running Crysis 3!

Just posted minutes ago, a graphics demo of the Unreal 4 engine.
http://kotaku.com/impressive-unreal-engine-4-graphics-demo-infiltrator-462820497?utm_source=lifehacker.com&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 16:17
Not bad, I wonder when this functionality'll be integrated into UDK. They've already introduced processes to streamline things for the iPhone by sacrificing a few modcons here and there.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 20:48
Unity can already play in a webpage. Unreal is 25% of earnings after the first $50,000. Thats a deal breaker for me, though I do love the unreal editor.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 21:07
The chances of you earning 50K?
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 23:01
Unity has support for its own player and recently added Flash support. I am sure if Unreal starts doing it, Unity will invest in javascript too.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
If I made over 50k, I'd happily give 25% of my earnings after that to Unreal. It won't cost me a penny because it's not coming out of my pocket, it's only coming out of my potential earnings.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2013 21:26
Quote: "The chances of you earning 50K? "

Ive actually spoken to Mark Rein when it was 1.25 million to license the engine several years back, and had a publisher willing to front it.
The web designer on my game project licensed it under an educational license and the project was used by over a million Canadian games students, funny enough before he got Canadian government funding for the technology I told him to look at FPSC, back then engines cost a lot of money and he had no experience, being bankrolled by the government sure greases the wheels, he's doing a mmorpg for NASA now. I wonder how far he would of got if he had used FPSC.

CoffeeGrunt - you can send me a private email if you want to be funny.

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2013 21:55
Quote: "CoffeeGrunt - you can send me a private email if you want to be funny."

I can't, there's none linked on your account.

It wasn't "being funny," it was a simple and realistic assessment. Making a game with UDK is difficult. Marketing said game is both costly and difficult. Getting a game to a known distributor like Steam or the education system is another couple of orders of difficulty magnitude. Then having it sell well is a final load of difficulty, that very few games get past that aren't "AAA."

Congratulations though, honestly. But you can't shrug off my remark as if what you did was easy, or feasible for everyone, nor that it could apply to most games made with UDK.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2013 06:54
Quote: "Ive actually spoken to Mark Rein when it was 1.25 million to license the engine several years back, and had a publisher willing to front it.
The web designer on my game project licensed it under an educational license and the project was used by over a million Canadian games students, funny enough before he got Canadian government funding for the technology I told him to look at FPSC, back then engines cost a lot of money and he had no experience, being bankrolled by the government sure greases the wheels, he's doing a mmorpg for NASA now. I wonder how far he would of got if he had used FPSC.
"

Sounds legit.

If you are unsure what a particular area will do then please consult the Assistance Table at the bottom of this page.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2013 09:43
I stopped using Firefox permanently when I noticed it was using over 5GB of my RAM on my work computer. There's no excuse for that kind of memory leak in this software It used to have a crazy number of memory leaks and I'd always assumed the leaks would be fixed. Hard to believe a version this mature would still be full of problems. Chrome seems like the best way to go for me now

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 05:53
@Jeku
What are you doing to this poor piece of software? I rarely go above 500 MB, but then again I only keep 4-5 tabs open(TGC, FB, Twitter, Reddit, maybe Slashdot) open.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 20:13
? I have loads of tabs, videos and windows open in Firefox, never exceeds more than 400mb of ram; something was not right with that installation. On here Chrome is worse; however I prefer to watch video in Chrome, that's the one reason why it remains installed.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 20:42
Always been pretty conflicted about the whole 'running my thing in a browser'. On one hand stuff like this sparks my curiously, but beyond a cool tech demo I'm struggling to see the point. Current solutions feel like buying a drink and tipping half of it out on the ground..

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 21:20
Quote: "Current solutions feel like buying a drink and tipping half of it out on the ground.."

But you get to drink it from home, work, on the bus. You can drink it out of a glass or a bottle or a chalice. And someone somewhere will improve that drink. There's always a point.

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 21:49
.. and why do we need a browser for that ?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2013 21:56
I think the idea is that if you can play a game in a browser you don't need to install it on a device, you don't ever lose or damage the disk and you don't even need to own a device to play the game. You could "log in" to a game from anywhere including internet cafe's and play.

Seems like a pretty good concept to me but of course you are still reliant on the capability of the device...

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
It's about making applications independent of the underlying operating system.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2013 05:19
Java does a dandy job of just that.

Text only signature /troll
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2013 05:24
Sure, but with java you can't just go to www.myapp.com and use it from there!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2013 05:36
True! Oracle should create a thing that can load apps offline and then run them. Could make a good plugin, perhaps!

Text only signature /troll
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2013 05:42
Indeed. I will confess that I don't like websites. As they become more and more interactive, using a markup language to define them seems a little pointless, and it's only going to get more bloated as they try to add more features. Want to do some actual programming? How about using a really old language only intended for doing small things here and there?

On a related note, if anyone's interested, I've been working on a language myself (many TGCers won't be surprised by this, been doing it like 7 years), but it's got a Java/C# style syntax that compiles directly to javascript, so you get all the benefits of object oriented programming, allowing you to make large scalable applications, that run on a browser. I need feedback dammit!

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't agree with your assessment of JavaScript there. (If that's what you're referring to.)

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2013 05:56
Quote: "Sure, but with java you can't just go to www.myapp.com and use it from there!"

Why not? Make an applet, embed it in the html. Now you can access it from anywhere.

Quote: "True! Oracle should create a thing that can load apps offline and then run them. Could make a good plugin, perhaps!"

Any applet can run offline once you've accessed it.

Am I missing the point you guys are trying to make about java or what?

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2013 06:02 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2013 06:05
Quote: "I don't agree with your assessment of JavaScript there. (If that's what you're referring to.)"

Let me elaborate. Javascript is, well, a scripting language. It was designed purely for extensions, and not for full-scale large projects. Also, because it's dynamically typed, you get the slowdowns associated with dynamic lookups at runtime, whereas statically typed languages can be much more efficient. Not to mention that statically typed languages allow for better organisation of large projects, plus better IDEs that assist with code completion and type-checking errors. Google's V8 helps a lot with the slowdowns, but only to a limit.

Furthermore, although it can do object oriented programming through prototypes, it's still a pretty awkward workaround, and if we're going to be stuck with it for the rest of the future of web programming, we're going to have to do away with a lot of progress in language development over the years. To combat this, Google is developing a new language called Dart, which right now compiles to JS, but they hope in the future to make a VM for it and to make it a standard for all web browsers. Many people think this is ridiculous, but imo, if we can have lots of language standards for desktop programming, there should be more language standards for the web too.

If the browser is going to be the next big platform, we can't rely solely on scripting languages for development.

Quote: "Why not? Make an applet, embed it in the html. Now you can access it from anywhere."

True. Still shows how web browsers are increasingly becoming the next big platform, and that desktop apps will slowly disappear (to an extent)

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2013 17:22 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2013 17:23
I'd just like to point out that "dart" is also a dynamically typed language Also object oriented concepts are not the same thing as a class sytem. Javascript is most definitely object oriented, but obviously if you try to impose a class system on top of it you will end up with some ugly code. Once you get used to doing things differently though javascript can be quite expressive.

I would quite like to see lua supported by browsers - it's one of the few scripting languages where you can safely sandbox lua code inside other lua code without duplicating the whole VM or even requiring special libraries. That alone should make it a prime candidate for a web language where security and privacy are significant concerns.

Plus it's one of the fastest and easiest to optimise scripting languages in existence. If there were an interpretter of similar sophistication to V8 but for lua it would easily run at native speed.

[b]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 09:22:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 09:22:11