Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] The Birds (Working Concept)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2013 19:14 Edited at: 1st Mar 2015 13:55

Developer: Astech (A.K.A Levi W. on IndieDB)

Short Description:

Stylized as a dark romantic's novel, The Birds is set to tell a story worthy of the genre. Enter into the shoes of a man named Nicolas. Experience different key points through-out his life and piece together the puzzle that is Nicolas' mind. An elderly man in his early 70's, Nicolas is attached to something just like all of us are. Unlike most of us however, Nicolas' deep fixation is on the fowl of the air - the bird. Adventure a span of 3 days into Nicolas' life and witness how one traumatizing event can pave way the opening of Pandora's box. This is, The Birds.

Working Environment Examples:

Developer Comments:

I dare not call this anything other then a concept because that is all it is right now. I've taken some time to look over some of the commands in FPSC as well as sitting down with a friend to discuss the narrative. Within a few hours of toying with the idea, we were able to come up with a dark-romantic's story based on a simple concept- a bird. Now, it sounds plain if you put it that way but it was the process we took; take a simple idea and span upon it. As far as we've gone with this, we believe FPSC can tell a great tale in-game and without the use of cutscenes and a plethora of in-game notes. At this moment in time, everything is intended to be explained in game through a narrative. Who is the narrator? You are of course! Step into the mind of Nicolas and listen to his inner thoughts as he goes from third person to first person in varying situation. The fourth wall is not intended to be an element here.

This is a not a game you win and I'm not sure if it could be classified as a "game". This title is more of a Visual Novel if anything. I'm already going over the process of casting voice actors and every level is being diagrammed for construction. I feel as if this project is the most worthy of my time so far. I'm giving myself an estimate of a few months before this will be completed (if life doesn't intervene and all of that). However, I am pressing forward to at least make this come to life in some form or another.

You can also catch me on IndieDB and Steam Greenlight Concepts.

The Birds - A narrated adventure.
Diablo Chateau
Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2013 07:52 Edited at: 4th Apr 2013 07:53
Are those scenes in FPSC, or some other engine? It's hard to tell with the amount of detail. I like the differences between day and night in the last two screens, but in the day time one the light posts are on. It isn't like that in real life, isn't it? That's pretty critical however, its really minor. The story sounds like quite a journey, this should be interesting.

Very promising start Astech

- An Instinctive Fear IndieDB page, download demo today!
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2013 10:16
Indeed looking great and to Burger , I do believe those are in-game shots.The story and concept are very innovative and I look forward to seeing the result. Keep'em coming!

Model pack 66-99 high quality items...cheap!!
"Who loves ya baby!"
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2013 13:24 Edited at: 4th Apr 2013 14:39
Quote: " I like the differences between day and night in the last two screens, but in the day time one the light posts are on. It isn't like that in real life, isn't it?"

To me that's the most realistic screenshot of all, streetlights will often come on at dusk just before it gets properly dark. Daylight and weather system?

Nice work, "I cant believe its FPSC"

I don't trip over...I do random gravity checks.
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow... just... wow...

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2013 16:51
super nice. I love the re-texture.I can't ever put it in word how amazed I am with these pics. I can believe its fpsc because there is more to this engine then what meets the eye.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
hey, great work. I am a little bit speechless, so I make it short:

Your screenshots surprise me Thanks for sharing. It sounds like a very special game, so I hope I can play it sometimes.

Corno_1

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Are those scenes in FPSC, or some other engine? It's hard to tell with the amount of detail. I like the differences between day and night in the last two screens, but in the day time one the light posts are on. It isn't like that in real life, isn't it? That's pretty critical however, its really minor. The story sounds like quite a journey, this should be interesting."

I assure you its FPSC. It just so happened that I got the lighting right on the first few builds. The scenery wasn't all that hard to put together in actuality. Disturbing's pack was very useful in filling my scene. And I know that the lights are on during the day. I'm not sure what time of day the screenshot is taking place but to any extent it is rather dark under the railway. My best purpose for them being there was to brighten up the shadowed area (don't see any harm in logic with doing so).

Quote: "The story and concept are very innovative and I look forward to seeing the result."

While it is a little vague, I can't go into a lot of detail since it is mainly story. It is essentially a throw-back to two Poe tales however with a good mix of ideas from me and a friend.

Quote: "Daylight and weather system?"

You know ole FPSC. It's mainly just parlor tricks at this point!

Quote: "Nice work, "I cant believe its FPSC""

Quote: "Wow... just... wow..."

Quote: "super nice. I love the re-texture.I can't ever put it in word how amazed I am with these pics. I can believe its fpsc because there is more to this engine then what meets the eye."

If you don't restrain yourself and brake the map up into smaller maps, you can pull off some detail. I just shutter to think how the slower computers may be doing a whole bunch of loading.

Anyways, thanks for the comments. I'm still going to try and push forward with this. The first town segments were easy to pull off but now I'm going to try and change it up and its proving to be a creative challenge. Maybe I will add a waterfront scene? Who knows.

I might need some people to stress test my maps too. I'm sitting around the 1600 MB mark and I don't wish to go over it. Once I get some bare scenes complete, I need to hand over the maps for load testings.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2013 20:26
This is certainly one of the best looking and most interesting fpscreator games I have seen so far.

I am, honestly, very impressed by this.

-Wolf

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
Without struggle,no progress and no result.Every breaking of habit produces a change in the machine.
Tomahawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2013 00:18
Stunning work ASTECH!

Years of Service
User Offline
Really, very, very cool man! I first thought this scene was not inside FPSC, i thought is inside 3dsmax, because the good quality of the shadows.

Congratulations!

Goldenye 007 N64
danieleman
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work with design,atmosphere and effect and I hope FPS is not dropping.All I can say is "Top Commercial Quality" .So keep up the good work Astech.

MY ENGLISH IS NOT GOOD LIKE YOURS.
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2013 12:42
Stunning. Everything sounds and looks so great and unique for FPS Creator that I feel like crying.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2013 18:25
Very nice looking level; have to keep an eye on this one too. Really looking forward to see what you guys can do with Reloaded, when it's time.

-Keith

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 19:12 Edited at: 15th Apr 2013 19:14
UPDATE:

Voice actors have been cast and I'm moving on towards getting some lines recorded. I believe once I get a few lines into the game, I can start piecing together the tone for the game. I have still a few things to do to add more interactivity into the game. As far as level layout goes, I have every level story-boarded and I'm ready to start building new scenes!

Thanks for the support and hopefully I get a teaser trailer ready soon!

You can also catch me on IndieDB and Steam Greenlight Concepts.

Corno_1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You can also catch me on IndieDB and Steam Greenlight Concepts."

Done

If you need any help, I am going to help you as far I can...

Corno_1

Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2013 00:55
I'm loving the concept and detail in this so far and am looking forward to seeing how this project progress's.
All the best of luck with this.
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2013 04:26
Nice work and nice lighting. Keep it up. I will be keeping track of this thread.

gcraftr
Years of Service
User Offline
Those environments and visuals look great and definitely make me want to discover more about the story and the people in it! Can't wait for the trailer!
sic1ne
Years of Service
User Offline
any new screen shots

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If you need any help, I am going to help you as far I can..."

Thanks Corno. If I need any complex scripts, I know who to look to!

@ Everyone Else

Thanks for the comments. I would reply individually but I am a little busy today. As for new content, I'm keeping it under wraps. Once I develop some more darker parts of the game, I may show a scene or two off. We will see!

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
I wanted to bump this to let you guys know that I've been pretty busy with life here lately. I haven't done much with this project but it is a priority of mine to get the momentum going again (I've just been too tired to do anything in my spare time here lately).

I need to get back in touch with my voice actors and start work on some of the story telling!

Wish me luck!

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2013 19:17
Glad to hear that this is moving, life of course (almost) always comes first, but it's great to hear that things are starting to get rolling again.

Good luck!

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2013 01:52
Glad to hear this is still on.

Model pack 66-99 high quality items...cheap!!
"Who loves ya baby!"
Ertlov
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2013 20:35
Really one of the most interesting concepts ever came up here.

Come to where the madness is:http://www.indiedb.com/games/into-the-dark
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2013 20:45 Edited at: 20th Jun 2013 21:41
Small Update:

I am so busy now that sometimes I regret ever getting a life in the first place (I'm only joking). Seriously though, my voice actors have jumped ship and I'm most likely going to build to around 90% before I make a casting again.

Also, since I am now lacking time... I was thinking of perhaps doing a few changes. I'm not sure exactly what those changes might be but I'm really wanting to make something out of this.

BIG UPDATE:

I might go silent for some time again but I think I might be able to twist this game around. I'm going to be very secretive until I have new things to show off... but this game might be taking a different direction. I'm going to play with some ideas and see what I can do.

kingofmk98
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2013 04:38
Are you going to make a squeal called "The Bees"?
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Are you going to make a squeal called "The Bees"?"

That's very clever but not because of that though.

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2013 17:34 Edited at: 17th Jul 2013 18:37
I'm thinking about taking a different approach to the story in light of some significant life changes of mine. I have a video I showcased to a few people such as Bugsy and others; I was thinking about showing it here.

It starts the game right where the original story started and starts the story towards a vague but important story-arch. This however will not be the game's beginning anymore if I continue onward.

I will update this post with the video once the audio changes. I removed the old audio because it was mainly for demonstration at the time.

EDIT- Here is the video:

Bare in mind this is just me clicking the test map and then nothing else. This is all scripted events from here on out. FPS is capped at 30 due to FRAPS as well.

da2020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 12:22 Edited at: 18th Jul 2013 12:23
Really excited to see how this unfolds looks very fascinating.
ReFure
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 14:21
Wow. This is amazing!

- Nic

http://www.niclauke.com
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
I've done some thinking and with this sitting on the backburner... I starting thinking of some story tweaks I could make. Ultimately, this game may be shorter or laid out in a different pace.

I didn't want this to be a "horror" game in the crappy sense you see now with rushed indie "horror" games. HOWEVER, I feel a few
things could benefit from going in that direction. If I condense the story and try to drop some of the dialogue for text...
its is possible I can be on the track again. Also, level design will be more varied if I go with the we-write I'm planning.

Thanks for keeping track guys!

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2013 04:31
Just dont overthink it all too much or you'll end up making it a short story or novel.

Quote: "Also, level design will be more varied if I go with the we-write I'm planning."

I dont like it when people say that while they make a game. You see, I'm always worried that you end up with too much variation too fast so no scenario can sink in properly. As a designer you might work hours on something the player may walk through in 4 minutes, and then you might feel that its time for a change of scenery and you spend hours on the next level while the player really just started getting invested in the setting you established before.

Other than that: Best luck

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get stronger. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.
ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2013 14:05 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2013 14:12
Quote: "Just dont overthink it all too much or you'll end up making it a short story or novel."

FPSC is good for making short games, I find. You don't need 55 levels to do something good; I however don't want to rush you through it either with 2-3 levels. It is that sweet spot you strive for. However, you can't force 8 hours out of a FPSC game in reality.

What I meant to say (in response to your quotation of me) is that there is already foundation in the story to do what I'm planning.
The story takes place in different points though-out the man's life. THAT being the case, I can do with a change up when the time period changes or perhaps if you need to go through a level that may or may not have happened (as in-reality to the game universe).

The story has a lot of condensing to be done. The heart of the story and the main point are there but the "fat" of the tale
needs to be trimmed and I need to leave only what needs to be there for a shock factor and then focus on improving THAT.
FYI, the starting level is most likely getting replace entirely with a story arch that was saved for level 4.

I also have a screenshot I wanted to sneak in. It's from months ago but I doubt I will change this scene much if any. Enjoy!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2013 20:37
I like the that kitchen set. as far the game time of play i would not worry about it to much. I come to learn horror do not need much of a long gameplay. gamers will get tired of playing the horror game after awhile. with fpsc we seen a lot in horror games. but the concept you are going for should be played. I would to see all this work in such a great looking game to become a waste of time for a incomplete project. best of luck on this.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 07:44:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 07:44:35