Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Couple of questions concerning app updating over Google Play

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Can someone point me in the right direction with regard to updating apps, maybe a useful web page?

I have written a simple trivia game in Tier 1 (1088) which works well. The question "packs" consist of many thumbnail images, together with a text question file and the high score file, all contained in a single directory which is stored in another "questions" directory, which itself sits inside the "media" deirectory. I have two questions:

1) If players want to buy another question pack, rather than trying to do in-app purchasing, I was considering making a separate purchasable app which would look for the "questions" directory and then copy the new question pack dir to there. The trivia app would automatically detect the additional folder when it starts and all would be well. Is this a reasonable approach?

2) When doing a trivia app update due to bug solving for example, is it possible to specify which files are updated? For example, I don't want to touch any of the information in the "questions" directory when only updating the main app.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2013 18:05
1) Not with AGK. In iOS and Android, one app can not see another's directories (installation or sandbox).

2) I don't know.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2013 14:21
I think that any update on Android overwrites all files. For example, local high score (high scores stored on local files) are deleted. What you can do is download additional files from the Internet. You could create a "demo" app with a limited number of questions, and then you could redirect your gamers to the paid version, whose code is exactly the same, apart it downloads additional question files from the Internet.
RobInWeert
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your help everyone! I think that I will just keep the question packs as separate apps. Not as elegant but easier, especially when the extra packs may never get written.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 10:54:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 10:54:21