Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Windows / AppUp rejection for failure to play mp4 video

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2013 20:02 Edited at: 18th Apr 2013 20:18
I was just rejected from AppUp because my splash intro video fails to play. It is an H.264 MP4 file which I thought Windows had the codec built in for.
The program returns "failed to load video" for them.
Does anyone have any insight to this?

I'm likely just going to skip the video for now so that I can move on, but I'm really disappointed that it doesn't work for them!

EDIT:
I tested on my wife's windows machine and the video plays on its own, but if I run the application I receive an error that says:
"Failed to load video file - Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported."
I'm using Windows 32bit and the game was compiled with AppGameKit 1089b.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Check out dFenz on Google Play, Windows, or Mac:
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2013 04:23 Edited at: 19th Apr 2013 04:24
It is recommended to use WMV for video if you're playing it back on Windows. By default Windows does not include MP4 support, so unless the user has a supported codec installed, the video will fail. (A lot of PCs will support it, for instance if they have Quicktime/iTunes or any popular codec pack installed, but there's no guarantee that they do).
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2013 04:41
Thanks for the info and confirmation.
The odd thing is that the Windows machine I've confirmed this issue with actually plays the MP4 without a problem and through Windows Media Player. As soon as you run the app though it fails to load the video.

I'm probably just going to forego the video, but it would be nice to have it work as expected. The help files make no mention of needing to use WMV files in Windows and should do so if a codec is actually required to run the video.

Also I swear I've read a number of places that h.264 is natively supported by windows 7... maybe only if certain version of WMP? But again it seems like the Windows 8 that AppUp tested on would support h.264

At any rate, thanks for the reply, xCept.

Check out dFenz on Google Play, Windows, or Mac:
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2013 05:08
Just a minor update to this for those interested.
xCept was, of course, correct. Paul is updating the help file in the next release to tell that Windows programs should use WMV only.

Still kind of weird that WMP will play the MP4, but AppGameKit won't load it...

www.NaplandGames.com
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2013 00:12
My life revolves around this stuff.

To play mp4 you need a DirectShow filter installed. Good luck! There are lots, and some play picture with no sound, some play sound with no picture, and some just crash!

WMP no longer uses DirectShow filters - it has its own codecs inbuilt. So just because it plays in WMP does NOT mean it will play in third party programs.

WMV and MPEG-1 should not cause problems. Although some WMVs will play upside down.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:48:27
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:48:27