Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Etheria - Text RPG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2013 03:01 Edited at: 25th Apr 2013 01:58
Hey guys, just thought I'd post this here for anybody interested, this is a work in progress Text RPG.

Firstly let me address a few issues:
Yes I know there are tons of Dark BASIC Text RPG's out there, I'm posting this one because it will be huge and provide possibly 100+ hours of gameplay.
No the game is not currently in a playable state, it won't be for a short while, I still need to sort out a basic inventory system.

Phew, okay with that out of the way, allow me to introduce

---===### Etheria ###===---

Screenshots:

The name you enter here is your profile name.

Each profile can have a maximum of 3 Characters, and the Champions names are automatically pulled from the file and displayed, "New Champion" is displayed if no file exists.

With debug mode on, when you attempt to load a champion, it will first display all the data stored in the file, all the fields are self explanatory excluding "Prog" this is a currently unimplemented variable to prevent having to start the story from scratch every time you load.

The backstory, currently this displays every time you load or create a champion, however once the Prog variable is implemented, continuing past this screen will set Prog to 1 and this screen will only be shown if Prog < 1

Really this is a null choice as both options lead to the same outcome, the weapon choice screen.

This is the weapon choice screen that is displayed when you state that you are not ready in the previous screen, currently Inventory is not implemented as I need to learn a fair amount about variables and arrays first.

The chapter Splash Screen, once the Prog variable is implemented, prog will be set to 2 upon continuing past this screen, and everything prior to this screen will only be displayed if prog < 2

So that's pretty much it, other than character creation, I will add the 2 screenshots for this at some point.

I would appreciate any advice, feedback or pointers in this endeavor, in case anybody has any efficiency boosting or optimizing tips *hint hint*

http://goo.gl/Av3gl This is the changelog and sourcecode.

Footnote: Whilst this is currently a text RPG, and the only "graphics" used are non-functional, aesthetic ASCII art (See green Title above every screen, Chapter Start splash screen) I do at some point intend to add static images, for things such as, finding a new item (Picture of item) fighting an enemy (Picture of enemy) talking to an NPC (picture of.. you get the idea).
Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
well. i dont have much to say about it.
but you defenately got a style over it.
looks like you also already figured a story for it. wich is very impressive! because most people doing a game play before the story. but you actually started the project from the art side of view.

also, i would want you to look on my Online Text Game (OTG) i made some time ago, it might give you a further ideas what to add into your text based game..

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=53868&b=8 - most screenshots already wiped out - sorry for that.

Good luck with your work anyways.

Advanced Updater for your games!
ShellfishGames
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm posting this one because it will be huge and provide possibly 100+ hours of gameplay."

Sounds a little over-ambitious. I just hope that you don't put quantity over quality gameplay-wise. Creating a text-RPG that is fun and engaging for even 30 minutes is difficult enough.

Also you should post your screenshots - or at least a few of them - using the img-tag. It's a little irritating to copy and open all those links manually.

GunnerWolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah sorry about the links, I'm going to fix them, I was lazy and used gyazo for the screenshots. I'll fix it tomorrow (Late here).
I'm aware it seems over ambitions, but I'll be able to show my progress a lot better after I get my inventory system sorted out.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 25th Apr 2013 14:21
Also, could you scale down your screenshots so they fit easily on to the screen?

Anyway, good luck with this. A good text adventure can be quite enthralling as the player can imagine their own world from the information given - a bit like reading a good book.

It's been several years (> 25 ) since I played one - and I always used to get stuck at some point because I couldn't think of the right word to enter as a command, e.g. do I need to skip, hop, jump, leap, vault or some other word that I haven't thought of?
GunnerWolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Updated the changelog document. Possible early demo coming soon.
silkroadgame
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't you think it's easy to get boring?100+ hours of gameplay,I think it's a little over-ambitious too.

Silk Road Game:http://www.game-silkroad.com/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:25:02
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:25:02