Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] Vault Island - The Spy Who Robbed Me!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2013 00:07 Edited at: 29th Apr 2013 10:11
Greetings One and All !

Finally coming out of a period of development behind closed door, I am ready to share with you my latest game project using AppGameKit Tier 1.

Greetings from Vault Island !

Background
This project was initially put forward for the Ultrabook competition. Not having the time then to do it to the level of finish I wanted, I decided to continue the development way past the original deadline. This means that this game will be released for both the Ultrabook and the Android platforms.

Vault Island is a puzzle game using primarily the touch screen and where possible the other sensors to manipulate various devices and locks based on logic and physics.

Plot
Welcome, you are the Agent. Villain is up to no good and has already caused mayhem around the globe. His despotic and twisted organisation has been ruling the headlines for decades and it is your sole mission to put a stop to it.
You are parachuted onto his island and you must make your way through the island and into his lair to stop him and recover the gazillions he has wrongly amassed.
Watch out though, agents before you have failed and we know very little of the whereabouts of Villain and the danger that awaits you.

So without much ado, here are some screenshots:

The game

As your are coming onto the Island, you will make your way through the various locations marked on the map.

The game is meant to be in 4 episodes that will take the player across a range of location starting with the Old PowerHouse, the Lair, The R&D Labs and the Test Site. The Villain's organisation is well established and all these sites and their decor will have a significantly different flavours that will take you though the years.

Episode 1 - The Old Powerhouse

The Old PowerHouse is a kind of steampunk-ish run-down place with all kind of weird technology. Villain has placed various locks and puzzle to protect further access to his lair. It is your job to decipher, decrypt an solve the various mechanisms with whatever comes at hand (including matches, stethoscope, lenses and coloured filters), and recover some of the money and valuables that has been stolen.

The Powerhouse is spread over a few levels each of which with its own difficulty and feel.

Here are some of the preliminary locks:

It is not as easy as it seems....

Let's play with physics and electricity...

..or do you think you have what it takes to pick a lock?

Status
The game is still very much in development. A number of levels have been built and now I am in a position where I can produce levels quicker. I realised shortly after starting the development of the game that I was not making my life very easy since all the levels have very different looks, logic and physics...so it has taken more time than anticipated. However, I was not doing this to make a quick-and-dirty scroller -although now I will consider it for next time-...
As soon as possible I will include here a video, and will try to put a playable beta sometimes in the next two months.

The game will feature not only the actual story line, but also a challenge mode that will allow to best yourself against randomised puzzles and improve your skills.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2013 10:15
Hi Tokidokee,

This looks really good. These types of games can be very popular.

Please keep posting updates when you can.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2013 13:21
screens look very polished and professional. the game description sounds interesting as well. as rick has said, please continue to post updates.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2013 16:12
I agree with the previous 2 posters. I have bought a few similar games. I think your best market for this type of game is iOS, most likely the iPad as these games are best on a larger screen.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2013 18:08
Looks nice! Can't wait to play it!

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2013 19:43
Looking great Tokidokee!

But then again, I expect nothing less from you

I agree that you should consider tablet platforms too for this!

Tokidokee
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi All,

Thanks for the kind words.
The proof of the pudding will be in the playing.

Indeed there are some interesting games around and I was keen to develop one I would like to play myself, including nice graphics. So far I have limited myself to 1024x576 which I found is a good compromised to limit the size of the final game with lots of assets.

I take onboard the comments about tablet playing and can already address these wishes, since my other Ultrabook is...an Asus Transformer tab...that I constantly use to debug (...and this is where I say hooray to AppGameKit for cross-platform compatibility).
So I can definitely say that it is playing just fine there as well so far.
If anything, the Android sensors are easier to deal with than Win8, less laggy (read accelerometers/gyro), but this seems to be AppGameKit Tier 1 implementation, unless something has been changed recently.

I am not much in the iOS ecosystem, but most if not all the assets *could* be produced at least at retina display resolution.

There you have it...

I will keep posting updates, but will try to limit the number of screens to avoid spoiling the fun the first time you play.... unless you really want some more before I release it.

Best !

Tokidokee
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2013 12:45
I would recommend to plan for the future and use the iPad 3's resolution or higher. Even on Android 1080p is becoming standard. 4k is the talk now but that's pushing it. Also note that Android use 16:9 resolution while iPad uses 4:3. It's usually easier to plan for both than to fix it later.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 11:41:45
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 11:41:45