Hi Matty H, yeah I think too my cpu is suffering a lot..
And If the particles can't affect the "movement/rotation/inclination" of the airplane so I can't use particles system.
What I would and what I can about my project are 2 really far things but I try ALL to make these 2 things getting more near possible!
I tested a lot of way to make an airpane surfing in the air and I finish to choose to use 4 different "air particles" zones.
1) tail zone that influence the vertical drift, stabilizers and rudder (500 air particles)
2) Left Aileron zone (50 air particles)
3) Right Airleron zone (50 air particles)
4) Body & wings zone (600 air particles)
1200 air particles since now (If I want to mantain a minimum fps speed...). Really far from the real thing but already extremely realistic!!
I would to use just 1 zone for all the airplane but I am too far about performance to can do that.
If I using just 1 zone so I should to use at least 4 times more air particles to mantain the actual "resolution".
I always knew that I more good in ideas than in programming skill then I know that a project such this require a lot of skill especially using the appropriate programming language (C++).
DBPro + DarkDynamix (plus a my friend, captain of boeing 737 as technical consultant)permit a bad programmer as me to DO all that! but I must to face the damn performance issues.
I am near to change my CPU too (after chenged the video card), from 2 core 3.40ghz to 6 core 3.5ghz hoping I will get the right extra power just to can add some other air particles mantaining at least 25 frames x seconds.