Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / App review trade network

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 18:20
Hi everyone. I'm stealing an idea from another AppGameKit developer here, MissJoJo. The idea is to do trades of reviews and downloads for each other's games once they are released.

I'm looking for some ideas on how to manage this on a decent scale.

Basically what is happening now is that I'm emailing a bunch of developers and asking them to trade reviews. What would be nice is if there was a thread or even an entire forum that we could subscribe to and get notifications on releases, then post a reply when we've reviewed the releases.

So what I'm thinking is:

One thread that is just posts telling that a game has been released and providing download links. Everyone interested in trading would subscribe to this thread to hear about new releases.

Then we would also create a RELEASE post for each game much like what we already do, but everyone subscribed to the announcement thread would make a post on the release thread stating that they've reviewed the game.

What's everyone think of this?

Another thing that we've worked up is something of an ad network where we trade banners for our games. These would be displayed in game just like any other ad. You can see what we did if you download Dodge Those Balls, Dark Cube, or dFenz. We definitely need a better way to do it, like simply putting the banners on a website where they can be downloaded to the apps. Or something that requires a bit less maintenance. Unfortunately I've not had much time to explore this further, but I'd love to hear some thoughts on this.

I think we have a really strong sense of community here and I think that we need to take advantage of that. This means downloading each others games (even if we don't really like them), rating the games, giving each other feedback if we find bugs, and sharing release announcements for each others' games on social networks (FB, Twitter, G+).
I hope many of you also see the value in this and are interested in joining such a network.

Please let me know your ideas and let's work together to help each other succeed!

Thanks!
-Sean

tornado
Years of Service
User Offline
I just would comment that generally writing a couple of lines of review in the store for the game which has a [release] topic here in AppGameKit Showcase - doesn't take more time than writing a post here on the forum so that's what one easily can do for free

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 17:16
@ Tornado - indeed and a review on Google Play has much more visibility.
Unfortunately there seems to be few people at AppGameKit interested in supporting this method. I have had much better success on random developer forums.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2013 17:25
I would be happy to support in on published apps. And I have posted good reviews on some AppGameKit apps I've tried (not sure whether in iOS or Android).

I think the trick is publishing apps that are interesting enough for folks to want to try. I've seen some WIPs that I would definitely like to give a try once they are published.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
tornado
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " the trick is publishing apps that are interesting enough for folks to want to try"

AL, I wouldn't like to seem arguing this perspective, but my app has ZERO reviews on the app store although it got over 2k downloads in the first week. Without some intention even good folks are lazy enough to write a few words IMO. Why not to support released apps without being too much objective, just rate 4 instead of 5 if you feel the app isn't really good enough. That is a great motivation for beginners, and if today I've got 4 star review, I will work hard to deliver better next time and get 5*. Every developer needs some feedback - and everyone of us makes the greatest apps ever. Let's just help each other to do it even better - as Naphier suggests.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
It does seem increasingly difficult to get app reviews, although it's always been hard. With Apple no longer allowing reviews for apps redeemed via promo codes and Google enforcing full names when publishing reviews, I think this problem has been compounded for new and small apps.

I also believe reviews for any product are more likely to come when the customer is dissatisfied than when pleased. A person who had a miserable experience at a restaurant, for example, is more likely to spread that story and a critical review with others than when they have an average or good experience somewhere.
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 13th Jun 2013 04:00
With Dodge those Balls, about half of my ratings are actually swapped with other developers, ie I rate their app, they rate mine.
I believe this gave it the initial boost to get some legit installs from which I've now had around 10 ratings the interesting part is that all of the reviews are either swapped, or from TGC/AGK users, no one else bothered to review it, just rate it!

But it's my opinion that the main driving force for installs is social networks, so in my next update I'll add ways to make it easier for players to do this (ie: congratulations! you got 2051 points, that's great! [button] post to FaceBook!, which posts "I got 2051 on Dodge those Balls, bet you can't beat it! [link]tinyurl.com/blahblahblah[/link])

But the point is that this sort of network really does work in my experience.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 16th Jun 2013 16:17
social network and Youtube are the way stuff get published these days..
unless you have some money to advertise your app , social and youtube is the best way.
and also when you do put some money on advertising.. guess where they advertising... you guessed right, social network and youtube

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 26th Aug 2013 20:42
im in!
but can we do a post or something that will be organized..

developer name : haliop
App : blue power of axe
Link: Ios , GooglePlay etc..

App : red power of sword
Link : Ios,, well you get it

we need to be a bit more organized to do so.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 11:59
hi , ive found this website as many others for marketing apps.

on some you just pay for reviews and the price is bad.. 5 doallrs for 5 reviews... thats just stupid.. some are better and the best i found so far is this , the price is a bit high well not a bit its.. high..
but it offers great reviews and a great platform for this

https://www.gnomeescape.com/landing

at the current stage they work only with iOs and in the following months they will move onto Android , so the idea is
they have an App and a Website where they offer users:
DO A good some of ratings and we will let you play stuff for free
so you post your app there , it have a range of prices
their app have 15 slots of apps and they post they i think daily or weekly
so you pay for a slot , their users download and give you an honest review this is not a fake or illegal activity for buying reviews just for cash.. these are honest reviews by honest users from all around the world.. although their users database is mostly in the US it is open world wide.

so you can buy the 15 slot for about 300 $ i don't know for how long..
and you can buy better slots for much more , i haven't used it yet but im discussing the prices and other stuff with them trough email to see what is the best deal for me as im kinda really low on cash right now..

the best thing i liked about them.. that not only they put your app on their app , they also make a BUZZ for it .. they do not guarantee downloads or purchases as they are really really simple and honest.
if your app is any good , using this platform will get it more attention . still .. haven't used it , but this is the best i found online.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 12:05
BTW , can a Mod please Stick this post to the top.
we all can build great apps and games , but i think whats lacking here in this community (i might just speak for myself.. and a small amount of users..) is advertising abilities , so please can one of the mods please Stick this Thread or create a new one , where everyone can
1: ask for reviews for their apps from other members.
2: offering solutions for advertising your apps.
this is a win win both for members and for TGC so please consider doing something about it. we are not advertisers we are app builders. so please be kind in helping us just sticking a post about advertising we will carry the rest from there..

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 13:50 Edited at: 30th Aug 2013 13:51
Quote: "so you can buy the 15 slot for about 300 $ i don't know for how long.."

Anybody want some cake?

Back on topic, Must agree this community seriously needs some marketing, and the best thing is to get a high traffic site to do so with...

As individuals it is easy to say you can get them on somewhere like reddit, Myself, yet to use that site but it is recommended time and time again to me to put a topic up onto...

There is a site in the works at the minute which has the potential to draw many mobile users onto itself, a bit hush-hush for the time being regarding its details...

A solution regarding the adverts for in game usage for each dev to utilise and a hosting platform is easy enough to put up... but this would require the click event to load up a centralised web page with the same banners in larger form with direct links back to individual project sites for further viewing and market links... or have microsites on the same platform to showcase the actual projects... a bit like the site Baxslash set up...

Regarding how the banners rotate, there are many ways but a simple method such as the banners being prefixed with 'image.jpg' and include further a sequence of numbers 'image_0001.jpg] can allow for internal code writing a prefixed method to simply randomise the sequence after pulling the total from a web text file off the server... if that makes sense, and as I said there are a number of ways to do this, this is just a quick thought...

Hope this adds to the remedy...

And we have AL here, who I know is a talented and more importantly experienced web developer

EDIT

Fixed quote box

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 18:50
Quote: "And we have AL here, who I know is a talented and more importantly experienced web developer"

Thank you.

Yes, I could theoretically do this. And I could even host it (as I do my own sites, sites for some clients and sites for family). Even with a database to support it.

The problem is that I don't really have the time to create such a site and am not willing to give anyone else access to my server. I am very paranoid about security and don't let anyone (not even my clients) have access (except through user/password controlled admin panels that I create for each site, as needed).

It is not trivial to create a site like this. Especially one where there would be a need for many developers adding/editing their entries.

If someone can come up with a complete design for the site (logic, pages, database, admin pages, etc.), I might consider doing the hosting and implementation. Such a design would not be postable in this site (I really do mean 'complete'). But, if someone does come up with the design, I can provide access to send me an email (or you can find one of my sites and send me a contact message, like a few resourceful individuals have, but it is NOT to be used for asking for help on projects).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 18:57
I'm planning to do it after my current game is done. I think there's a market for it. I wouldn't charge devs, but would show ads to help offset the cost.

AL - If you're interested at that time (which I'll announce here) would you want to help collaborate? I'm not great at web design, but I have dreamweaver and can probably knock it out fairly quickly... plus I've got a decent handle on PHP and MySQL now. I'd definitely appreciate a second pair of eyes to make sure I'm not doing anything dumb

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 19:47 Edited at: 30th Aug 2013 19:48
Personally, I absolutely hate DreamWeaver. I have one client that used that to create their site. And then asked me to fix it. Fortunately DreamWeaver does (sort of) allow including PHP files. So, as long as she kept the right includes for the database driven parts of the pages she handles, it still works. But pages that are totally driven by database and (random) user inputs, are pure PHP and under my control.

Any site that is going to have a database behind it, really needs to be done in pure PHP (otherwise forms and stuff are really a pain). And it is easy to make the whole site look uniform with the use of common includes for generating headers/footers/menus/etc.. It also makes it easier to update the whole site with one file edit (for the common elements) and not have to regenerate pages.

However, if you can do a basic mockup of the pages in DreamWeaver and have a design for the database and the logic flow between pages. I can handle turning it into a PHP/MySQL site with lots of security checks (so far, none of my sites or my clients' sites that I developed have been hacked). And, because of the way I set up Apache and such, I don't believe anyone has been getting any spoofed spam from domains on my server.

I am also not a great web designer (just ask my daughter), but I rock at web implementation (just ask any of of my clients).

EDIT: And I am willing to host the site for free, as long as I own the server.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 20:36
well if you are willing to host it for free. that's not a problem with me.. i don't really care who owns the server.. as long as i can upload a new project section/page.. insert some photos, tutorials links to YouTube.. and some detail about it im good

but Al wouldn't it cost you? i don't want it and i think i speak for all of us.. no one wants an individual to pay for this.. unless you'll put some ads that will make certain logic .. but hmm well if you think you can handle the cost that will be very much appreciated.

so i guess we got a server..
i can defiantly do some design work.. using CorelDraw and exporting it to pngs... and its a vector base app so i can export it in any resolution so it will always look good.. but i will need the entire idea behind it..
and the feel of the website.. honestly i have never programmed a website so i dont really know what im up against..

well im in , in any way i can help

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 20:41
I'd have to rethink using dreamweaver... it's not a biggy.
I wouldn't want the page to be complex anyway, just visually acceptable. Have to give it a bit of thought that I don't really have brain room for ATM.

I'll be in touch in a couple months.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 20:43
Since I pay a flat fee for my server, adding domains to it costs me nothing.

Someone will have to pay for the registration of the domain (not expensive). But running it on my server adds no costs.

I don't promise to implement just any design. If it gets too complicated, then it will still take a lot of time.

I don't know what folks want on such a site. I'm just offering to help if I can make the time for it (after someone else designs it, which is not a small task).

May you and Naphier can work out the details for what you think the site should have.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 20:44
btw just asking... will it be hard to implant a forum?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 21:23
If it is any use, I have a site ready for this already... With a usefully short URL too...

http://www.tm-subs.co.uk

it is an Apache server with PHP and MySQL usability...

I can grant FTP and Database Access to those concerned with those matters...

Other wise, please proceed as normal

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 23:14
haliop, we have a forum here.

But they aren't hard, just can be a pain because you need someone to monitor posts and that can be time consuming.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 23:30
MRValentainte .. i think the site we are after should act like a gallery of user's apps /games ... maybe i didnt get the idea of your site .. or maybe im just too tired to even think

AL yeah we have a forum here.. but actually no one said anything about stricting it to AppGameKit developers right?
as long as it is Game/App for mobile/tablets or anything with a store and a review option.. its good no ? do you guys want to strict it to only AppGameKit developers ? im fine with that but i think we should be more open since we will get more users joining in in case that it will be good ... also including users who arent developers they just want to hear or read... the latest news about apps whats new whats released whats going to be released... etc..

... ?

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 23:41
Quote: "i think the site we are after should act like a gallery of user's apps /games"

That's basically what I'm thinking

Quote: "AL yeah we have a forum here.. but actually no one said anything about stricting it to AppGameKit developers right?"

That's right, if I do this then it will be all devs. Android an iOs would be separated.

I've not considered a forum because it's high maintenance. News is easy enough to put on the front page. Support can be asked for via email. I will not be implementing a forum on my site if I am the one to do this.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2013 00:04
I'm cool with non-AGK developers.

I'd rather not implement a forum, if at all possible. While there are lots of ready made bits of PHP forum code, fitting it into whatever we develop is not always easy and then I'd have to go through that forum code to make sure it doesn't have security issues (and many do).

So, I'd really rather not deal with one if I do the site implementation and hosting.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 31st Aug 2013 01:57
ok so forum is out..

so im thinking
2 sections maybe 3 when windows 8 mobile support will be aviable
Ios and Android

or should we consider on 4 sections
Ios Android Windows Mac i guess we should stick with Mobile only.. and if we want to add Windows and Mac later on ...

so we have the main page..
which will act as the News Feed
at the Top a Title
2 Large enough but not too large buttons
called Ios and Android
you click on them you get 2 Buttons each Games / Apps maybe 3 Educational Apps

you click .. then maybe a tool to select New Additions / Most Rated which can be named also Users Choice or something alike..

so now for say you are inside a section
on the left you get
Genera <- is this the right word?

then (in example of games)
Action
Sports
Racing
Arcade
Educational
Math
etc..

so you can select and the selection of what to view Newest Editions vs Top Rated will stick so if you selected Newest and touch Action
you will get the most recent Action games etc..

you click a game
this is the current Game Page
Title
Detail
Photos
Video Links... AL i think youtube has its own implentation so we are good right? we can see the videos directly without going into youtube.. correct me if im wrong..

then a link to the store
Free version vs Paid Version
benefits etc..
so basicly the game/app page is like the pages on the store.. only that you have a link also to the store..
pherhaps a Developer Notes..
Updates.. etc..

Maybe also i dont know it might be a little tough to do .. give a small disscount like 10% for reveiwers for paid versions or in app purchases maybe just for the start of it so ppl will register to the site.. i think thats a bit tricky.. again i dont know anything about HTML or PHP and such like do we give them a code ? so yeah but that might work only inisde in App Purchases.. and how will we know to identify and create new secure codes.. just thinking of it its kinda messes up my head.. better live it out..

anything else?
the more we get the idea rolling the fastest i'll get a design working..

ive already made some apps in this way with pages etc.. but not a webpage..
like i can create all of this as an app but not as an HTML.. it will take me about 1 day ?... something like that with design.. (simple one).. damn i wish Freedom Engine would work right now.. so its HTML5 without knowing it
did i forget something?

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2013 02:26
haliop, you and and Naphier work out the details off forum.

I am happy to to look at designs when they are 'done'. I do not want to get involved in the process. I.e. it takes up my time.

I really am trying to get my own WIP published within the next month and really need to dedicate my time to that (and dealing with customer requests).

If/when I implement the site, it will be pure PHP (html as seen by site viewers, but PHP to generate all the pages).

Use whatever you need to show the pages as they would 'flow' and I'll work it out from there. When you have a complete (and I really do mean complete) design.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
haliop
User Banned
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2013 06:28
haliop - My point was that I had a domain which could be used for the usage required, the site hosted there can be removed at any time...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 12:47:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 12:47:22