Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / The DBC Codex

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2013 18:20 Edited at: 26th Jun 2013 23:22

Over the years there has been a lot of good work done in DBC, many talented coders have contributed brilliant code and expanded the functionality of the language, but much of this work is lost in the sands of time. I would like to rediscover these lost codes and preserve them in a compendium. Unlike the codebase, this will be a structured reference containing only the best solutions.

Once enough code is gathered to compile a first edition I will release it as a .pdf file. But I need help, there is a lot of code out there and I am not an expert in all areas of DBC (far from it!) If you find, or have written, a good coding solution please post it here (or a link to it), with the problem title, name of the author and date written if you have that information. Please only post code that solves a specific problem, I don't want full games posted here just because they are good.

I would also appreciate help refining the code. I want this book to be as neat and focused as possible so a lot of the code is going to need reworking to be clear and suit a general purpose. This will be a reference book, not a study guide, but still some explanation of the code is required.

Thanks.

Some possible topics for consideration:-

* DLL's (will have their own section, possibly their own book entirely.)
* Custom 2D graphics functions
* Maths functions
* Data sorting
* Collisions
* Buttons
* Memblock mesh manipulation
* Memblock sound creation
* Procedural generation
* Recursive functions

The difficulty in learning is not acquiring new knowledge but relinquishing the old.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Great idea!

Question: Do you want any kind of documentation included with the post (what each function argument is or a brief explanation of how it works)?

Great Quote:
"Time...LINE??? Time isn't made out of lines...it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round!" -Caboose
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2013 23:10 Edited at: 29th Jun 2013 23:11
Quote: "Question: Do you want any kind of documentation included with the post (what each function argument is or a brief explanation of how it works)?"

If the code is not immediately obvious to an experienced coder, then yes, but there's no need for tutorial-style explanations: this will be a reference for people who already know DB.

The difficulty in learning is not acquiring new knowledge but relinquishing the old.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2013 08:02
Quote: "Unlike the codebase, this will be a structured reference containing only the best solutions."

That's why I've run my own codebase over the years. Use whatever you like from it.

I would still suggest some basic commenting in the code. Like if you have an equation written out, simply state hey this is the reflection formula or whatever. Not tutorial-style, but enough to organize the code sections.

Naturally, I'm willing to help with this project. (even though I don't understand why anyone still uses DBC)

I believe DarkForge used to have something like this, for those who can remember that site from waaaay back. Obese, I think you should take point on procedural generation

Latch
Years of Service
User Offline
@Phaelax

Hey, that graphic in your avatar looks like the barbarian from an old Commodore 64 game! It's funny to see again.

Enjoy your day.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2013 20:02
Latch, you must've not seen my latest AppGameKit project then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rTJ1ARhE6k

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2013 03:24
Quote: "I don't understand why anyone still uses DBC"

That's sort of the reason I want to do this. There are only a handful of DBC users left, I want to make something to commemorate all the years we've spent with DBC, and something that will be useful to the few of us who are still around. Also, most of the code can be easily translated to DBP.

Your site is very useful Phaelax, I will grab some stuff from there and use it to figure out a good style for this thing.
Attila
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I allways missed a substring-function in DBC, though I wrote on:

maybe its helpfull for someone
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2013 17:58 Edited at: 8th Jul 2013 18:07
Thanks Atilla, I actually have a function for that which is more efficient:

Some various string functions: