Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / New ODBC Database plugin

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2013 17:17 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2014 21:35
[IGNORE THE REST OF THIS THREAD - COULD NEVER GET THIS PLUGIN WORKING LIKE THE SQLITE PLUGIN SO ABANDONED IT]

On the back of the new SQLITE3 database plugin I\'ve created, I have also created a ODBC plugin.

For it to work, you will need to have already installed a suitable ODBC driver. You need to create an ODBC \"User Data Source\".

Anyway, this plugin is very much in need of testing and so I will call the current version v0.2 (25/07/2013).

Command Set

Let me know what you think.

[edit]

I can't post anything more here as it is too old but I can edit - I've had a go at a new ODBC plugin here:-

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=210586&b=8

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 03:35 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2013 04:48
This wouldn't happen to be a response to my recent DBConn remake request, would it?

It has the commands I was looking for, and I am about to start a very SQL heavy project, so I will be back to this thread alot. The big thing I am concerned with is memory usage, so I will hammer that as well (an array of 15+ different SQL commands, one that will consistently throw errors, executed repeatedly and randomly for 5 minutes straight, that ought to test it)

Edit: Do you have a quick example for this? I am more accustomed to using connection strings, such as the following:

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 10:09
@ GIDustin,

Good grief - did mention it was v0.1 didn't I? The getting column name command seems to throw it a spanner (recent discovery).

DBConnnect()....

The equivalent would be the ODBC Open Database Command.

So success = ODBC Open Database(1,"SQL-ODBC","GIDustinUser","FishIsMyPassword")

Personally, I prefer my SQLite3 plugin... no dependencies.

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
@Duffer,

I know it's 0.1, but that doesn't mean I can't test it until it breaks!

I have gotten it to create a file and use that as the database, but I cannot get it to use ODBC to connect to a remote SQL server. The DBConnect is from the other ODBC DLL I am using, where you enter a connection string, such as:

I have tried using the above as my "database", and that didn't work. I also tried creating a DSN using the Windows ODBC manager and entering that for the database, but it just made an empty file with the same name.

If you could post just a very small snippet that shows connection to a remote SQL server, I will continue testing your plugin.
GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
@Duffer,

I got around to working on this again, and I cannot get it to return anything. It will connect to the database, and run the query, and the column names works, but it will not return any strings or integers. I saw that there might be an problem with indexes as brought up in your SQLLite plugin.

The code below is what I use, and it returns the proper column and row count, but the data retrieved is all empty. Am I doing something wrong?

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2013 16:35 Edited at: 25th Jul 2013 16:35
@ GIDustin,

Nil desperandum. It was a bit of a rush job.

I aim to spruce it up over the weekend and hopefully the code will then work for you.

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
No problem man.

My next project requires an active ODBC connection to two different servers at the same time, and currently this plugin is the only one that supports that. Otherwise, I have to run two different plugins simultaneously, each plugin handling one server. It will be much easier to just convert to yours once it is looked over.
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2013 17:30
No worries, leave it with me.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2013 18:11 Edited at: 20th Oct 2013 18:06
@ GIDustin,

Can you give v0.2 a try. I\'ve attached it here and also pegged it to the first post.

Let me know if it works at all. Fingers crossed.

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
@Duffer,

Not sure that helped at all. I still cannot get any data returned, but now I cannot get the names of the columns apart from the first either. The rest return blank strings.
GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
@Duffer,

Any news on this?
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2013 23:16
@ GIDustin,

Sorry for the delay on this.

Please can you try the attached and see if it makes a difference?

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2013 18:05 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2014 21:34
@ Moderators,

I give up - try as I might, I cannot get the ODBC Plugin to work - so please can you close this thread (I will concentrate on the SQLITE plugin now).

Sorry to GIDustin...

[edit]

hopefully this new version works better:-

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=210586&b=8

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:24:07
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:24:07