Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / New ODBC Database Plugin

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2013 17:19
On the back of the new SQLITE3 database plugin I've created, I have also created a ODBC plugin.

For it to work, you will need to have already installed a suitable ODBC driver. You need to create an ODBC "User Data Source".

Anyway, this plugin is very much in need of testing and so I will call the current version v0.1 (29/06/2013).

Command Set

Let me know what you think.

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2013 19:33
These commands look useful; I've already gone in there and made my own database system so its too later to use another one; but it does look like a good idea.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2013 21:27
@ Chris Tate,

Thanks. The SQLITE plugin I made is what I'm going to use in one of my projects now. I have created some pretty big (RPG) databases and it does appear so far to be pretty damn quick with them.

When you get used to it, SQL is a wonderfully useful thing.

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2013 21:56
I'll put it in my task list to try this all out later in the year.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2013 22:04
@ Chris Tate,

No argument from me - concentrate on that DarkDynamix update...

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2013 05:10
Awesome mate, I will play with this, I have been struggling with and got sick of dark data's quirks. This sounds exactly like what I need.

One comment on installing, I do trust you and your releases so its no issue, but Avira antivirus behaves very aggressively towards your two new dlls.

maybe just a note in the install readme so people dont freak out when their antivirus goes nuts.

I'm not a complete idiot -- Some parts are just missing.
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2013 11:36 Edited at: 30th Jun 2013 11:38
@ Kezzla,

That's worrying (re the virus thingy). Shouldnt be. I run AVG Free and it's up to date...

With the plugins themselves, they are really in beta (although the SQLite one should be more stable than the ODBC). I havent properly tested all the functions yet.

I agree re Dark Data. I have that too and it has it's uses - but once you get to grips with SQL (SQLite syntax and pragma) it quickly becomes apparent that it is ruddy fast and powerful.

Make sure to create indices for your primary keys and important columns.

Also, check out the links to the earlier posts - that freeware application allows you to set up your databases in MS Access and then import in to a SQLite friendly db. The links are at the bottom of the first post, here:-

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=202548&b=8

Although my first attempt 'DARQLite' is not so good as the new SQLite plugin - and I prefer that to the ODBC one anyway.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 12:22:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 12:22:35