Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / My AGK app made in less than one hour

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 23:54
Today I had a challenge to create a mobile game in less than one hour.

This is what I came up with, it's VERY SIMPLE screen tapping app. The "game" is free, but it's ad-supported (to let me get into AdMob). I was able to make it in ~55min, and I'm just random coder, not a pro.

Download from Google Play

I was about to add "Made with AppGameKit in under 60 minutes", but I forgot it. And maybe this app wouldn't be the best (in quality) to advertise AGK/TGC.

Maybe someone else can make more complex stuff in very little time, post them in here if you like.

My simple, free AppGameKit app, made in under 60mins.
Download it from Google Play
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jul 2013 10:09
you got it all wrong man.

do you know how much Unity Crap there is online and on markets?

anything you will post with an AppGameKit logo inside it is more then welcome.

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2013 10:18
Hi,

Well I had a go and got told better luck next time. After all that tapping I don't think I'll be having another go!

Cool that you made a game in under an hour. There's a seed of an idea there! Maybe we should have a 12 hour game making competition within the community and everyone who enters has to publish to Google Play at the end.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jul 2013 11:36
thats an awesome idea Rick.

well actually... we could make one of these competition
once a month.

so every month, you'll have about 20 new mini games or much more.
that could get AppGameKit well noticed on GooglePlay.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 3rd Jul 2013 11:47 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2013 11:50
I made this snake game in around an hour
[attached]

I'm planning on putting it on Google Play, but just haven't gotten around to it

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2013 12:45
I would love to participate in a competition like that
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2013 14:37
24 hours though - much easier on the soul!, or a 48 hour weekender compo. Anything that would allow for sleep would be cool.

Might be fun to just let loose on a little 2D game, a physics puzzle game or something like that.

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more memes.
haliop
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jul 2013 15:17
i think the best option is to do a little pool
run it by the users

AGK competition :

1. how many hours would you like it to be ?
a. 6
b. 12
c. 24
d. 48

and thats that... the most requested will be the time limit.

i'll go like Van B for a 48 hours so yeah we could get some sleep and think things over.. while not being pressed against the computer and the pressure... ahhhh i like pressure but not so much...

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jul 2013 16:24
however we all must agree that once the competition is over and if the game is ready , publish it on Google Play , with a StartUp logo for this competition. then ppl will see
how fun it is to enter a competition using AppGameKit

could be very very cool.

jlahtinen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2013 16:39
Quote: "Hi,

Well I had a go and got told better luck next time. After all that tapping I don't think I'll be having another go!

Cool that you made a game in under an hour. There's a seed of an idea there! Maybe we should have a 12 hour game making competition within the community and everyone who enters has to publish to Google Play at the end.

Rick"

Heh, yeah. On the rush I forgot to uncomment the lines, which would have shown your time, if player failed to tap the hi-score.

And maybe the default hi-score should have been lower (or higher in this case).

Just getting used to Google Play and stuff, I built the APK with the online-apk-builder, worked great.

I'll continue with my "big" project now, but I'm in if there ever is a AppGameKit compo.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
The problem wiht time limited competitions like that is that some people will cheat and start beforehand.

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jul 2013 21:45
true... i wonder if thereis somekind of way that we all can know... like TeamViewer and such.. where you can actually view a stream by the Desktop of the user , could be pretty cool .. placing bets and such ..

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2013 14:12
Easy solution, each competition should have a theme. So if one was a snake game, the only cheats would be people already working on a snake game. And what about those using third party tools to skip ahead and others not? In the end, does it matter if it's just for fun and getting agk seen?
jlahtinen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2013 17:13
I think many of these kind of compos use timelapse video too. You know, you have to record the whole process and upload it to Youtube.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2013 23:27
Love the idea of a 48 hr comp for AGK. Some people will cheat, but most people around here are genuine and we should have a little faith in our good community

haliop
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jul 2013 20:27
hmmm what about let them cheat for best results?

for say and i\'ll try to be as much detailed as i can :

1. Theme - competition theme
like mentioned above .. a snake game , i never made a snake game but if i would i would be ahead of everyone who didnt even if i\'ll write it from scrap just for this comp... if i have an engine ready ... then as a rule of the comp we (the users) will post :
I used a Snake engine that i built from last year. it dosenot change the points you get at the end... and it would be nice to see how many ppl already have working engines of all kind of games.

2. 3rd parteis softwares that we use

photoshop/gimp/spine/spriter... etc... blender/maya/3dsMax/Sketchup

no matter what you use , as a comp rule , you declare:
for me its:
Gimp/Blender , so i simply write programs used
Gimp for 2D Images/Textures etc..
Blender for 3D Models etc..

like we cant really \"forget\" what we learned so far from using a computer... and the tools we use its just how we do it...

if there would be a comp for a snake game i would need to build it first time... and maybe the gameplay would be less perfect then some other guy who already built... but my graphics will be awesome and his might not...

and if we are talking about a top down 2D shooter... then i already have an engine for that.. even if i\'ll write it from scrap still i know some stuff that needs to be done first where other ppl wont know and it will show on the final product..

so overall... let the \"cheating\" begin... just be fair not to overrun it too much , just not be an a-hole.
and if you will , then you better make a superb game in 48 hours cause otherwise it will be just stupid.

AND WE WILL KNOW , we are all programmers!

so... when is the first comp?!

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2013 20:35
Perhaps we could have one this weekend.

And personaly I wouldn't feel so bad if someone cheated, sure they won on unfair terms but I got a game made in 48 hours and got got the experience from it.
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2013 00:59
While I'm just browsing and don't program, (dont hate on the artists :-P ) this discussion caught my interest so I figured I'd throw in my two cents. I was envisioning a jam/competition like this earlier, only for all tgc products (maybe judge them separately?). Have a few basic judging categories, (gameplay, functionality, graphics, etc..) and most importantly, keep track of the amount of times the apps are downloaded and their ratings for maybe a week afterwards. Factor that into the judging. Actually, let me organize my ramblings into a coherent pitch:

Announce contest 1 week prior, limited details given to avoid cheating. Allow people to sign up for the contest during this period.

Contest is opened and details revealed. Theme, judging categories, additional rules. Teams/individuals begin. There is _____ hours until the deadline.

Deadline comes, all contestants must have already submitted their games or uploaded them to Google Play. Judging begins based on the categories.

1 week passes for games to gain popularity. Additional points are given to a game based on its downloads and ratings on Google Play.

Results are announced the next day.

Basically a 2 week 3 day process which I think could be very beneficial to TGC and developers. Not only will more games be out there, but more attention will be brought to them because developers will be actively advertising during the following week to gain the additional points.

I also would like to see the contest open to dbp, dbc, fpsc, leadwerks even, even if as separate judging categories.

So, that's my two cents.

Available for freelance work, hard surface 3d artist and current generation game artist. Contact me through email.
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2013 04:08 Edited at: 19th Jul 2013 05:51
There is an informal 48 hr jam set for this weekend:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=206702&b=41

I would, however, like to see a more organized (read official-ish?) one sometime soon.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2013 11:32
Quote: "uploaded them to Google Play"

Quote: "dbp, dbc, fpsc, leadwerks"

That dosn't realy work since none of those can export android apps.

That said, I like the idea of having a TGC wide gamejam and I would gladly join it if im not bussy

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 21:51:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 21:51:44