Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / [WIP] Chronicles of a FallenWorld

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 11:05
Quote: "Agk is very primitiv and have alot of app crashes for no reason sometimes
I have high hopes on v2."

That's not my experience at all. I've yet to have any "random crashes" at all. I've always been able to track down crashes when they have occurred and I test on Android, iOS, Blackberry Playbook and Windows.

I'd be happy to track down crashes in anyone's code (when I have the time), just email me. I'm getting pretty good at it now @Jeonkz, I know you probably don't want to share your code or images with just anyone but I would genuinely like to help.

I have code for using Spine atlas textures (at home) for anyone that wants it although for some reason Spine puts a full size version of the character on each atlas texture too (hopefully they will make this optional eventually).

"Here I am trying to do some good for the world..." - Fluffy Rabbit
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 15:54 Edited at: 16th Aug 2013 15:56
I also have no random crashes. AppGameKit might not always tell me what's wrong, but if it crashes it's likely my fault. There's of course the bug when sending UDTs through functions, but it's not random and can be worked around with some effort. I also never use gosubs, all my code is in functions. I also use a single do loop with a single sync() call at the end of each loop.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 21:02 Edited at: 16th Aug 2013 21:06
Quote: "That's not my experience at all. I've yet to have any "random crashes" at all. I've always been able to track down crashes when they have occurred and I test on Android, iOS, Blackberry Playbook and Windows."

I have also managed to track them down most of the time
But until you find them so do they throw random app crashes.

This time around so did the talented van add some extra stuff while i whas lazy for 4 weeks.
And i see him as 10 times better coder then me

But i have a funny way of coding as iam self learned with no books or teachers and have an many times weird approach to code.

This time so did all the app crashes stop by converting gosubs to functions and found the empty string approach to be the last app crash bug for now.

you know that the code blanked them like this " " and i found by blanking them like this "" killed the last of the app crashes for now.

I have no problem with these funny agk bugs as i usually can solve them

I learned alot about agk app crashes whit my intel appup competition entry

I started experince them there for the first time when the Project got larger and i started using alot of the commands in conjunction with each other.

I belive it depends on how large and complex an Project gets and you use a large amount of the commands together that seam to throw some of these crashes.

Seams to be some garbage in memory some commands leave that cause these crashes.

With primitiv so do i mean that it havent reached its full potential
And i love ak.

Quote: "I also have no random crashes. AppGameKit might not always tell me what's wrong, but if it crashes it's likely my fault. There's of course the bug when sending UDTs through functions, but it's not random and can be worked around with some effort. I also never use gosubs, all my code is in functions. I also use a single do loop with a single sync() call at the end of each loop."

Eat drink slay is so large that all the parts would mess up a single do loop.

That functions bug whas one of the first i had to workaround to get our game to work and then have i experinced more and more weird ones?
I belive they are garbage in memory left by other commands that make some others crash the app.

I belive i have had this discussion with paul in Another thread where he wrote something about the limitations on ios and android that makes it hard to empty garbage in memory while an app is running?
And limitations probably forces agk to do some workarounds to work on all devices.

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
Jeonkz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 23:22 Edited at: 18th Aug 2013 19:03
You know, AppGameKit still evolving but Android and iOS still evolving too.
Sometimes the limitation is in the device itself.
In this point I agree with Cliff, clean code better compatibility.
And maybe at this point it's not possible put my vision, all my
ideas in the screen, maybe V2 gonna resolves these limitations.
So, lets wait and see...

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 23:33 Edited at: 16th Aug 2013 23:35
i think your going the right direction maybe just have one or two monsters in the game. Once you have that done, increase it gradually and I think you will end up with an amazing game. I like you cat and your helocopter but the rest of the stuff can probly be put on the back burner.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 23:45
Quote: "You know, AppGameKit still evolving but Android and iOS still evolving too.
Sometimes the limitation is in the device itself.
In this point I agree with Cliff, clean code better compatibility.
And maybe at this point it's not possible put my vision, all my
ideas in the screen, maybe V2 gonna resolves these limitations.
So, lets wait and see..."

I dont Think you should wait
You have something great going here and i Think you can pull it off by experimenting and continou to work on the Project.

I usually have up to 10 Project version of the same project so i can fallback if i mess something up.

I really recomend that you send your Project to baxslash as i would trust him with my Life

He offered to have a look on wath you could be doing wrong.

And he is one of the most experinced agk users on the forum and have made comercial games for tgc with agk.

I belive that your crashes or slowdowns are very easy to solve if he looks at it.

If you make it clear to him to delete the Project and media after he helped you so do i trust him on doing so

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
Jeonkz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2013 01:03 Edited at: 18th Aug 2013 19:04
Im not saying I gonna stop, but I'm working alone and creating more
than 5 animations for almost 30 characters, and this issues is
breaking my workflow. So, still testing and trying to fix.
I really apreciate all your effort to try to help me.

And about the game, Im not exaggerating, its crashing only with simple animation. So, I think is the size or quantity of images loaded in
the memory, maybe.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Make sure you are using square images (i.e 64 by 64)

Grumpy Jedi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2013 09:22 Edited at: 17th Aug 2013 09:23
I really like the art style and animations in this. I hope you're able to track down your crashes without too much trouble. I'm looking forward to seeing the end product.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2013 12:11
Cliff:
Having a single do loop is not hard if you build a state machine from the start. RTA is pretty big too. My main loop is quite small and simply checks the current state and calls the appropriate functions. RTA's code is still quite messy, as this is only the 2nd time I've done a state machine. And I'm not one for planning everything out. I just attach new parts on existing code. My editor that I'm working on now is so much cleaner. Thing is, you really have to do it from the start or not do it at all. Whatever works works I had some problems with closing down projects with the X button in windows, until I did the single sync() approach.

Jeonkz:
Sorry for thread stealing a bit. But I hope you find our discussion interesting anyway

Jeonkz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2013 18:46 Edited at: 18th Aug 2013 19:04
Its OK, its cool. Really having a nice discussion.

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2013 17:54
Quote: "Im not saying I gonna stop, but I'm working alone and creating more
than 5 animations for almost 30 characters, and this issues is
breaking my workflow. So, still testing and trying to fix.
I really apreciate all your effort to try to help me.

And about the game, Im not exaggerating, its crashing only with simple animation. So, I think is the size or quantity of images loaded in
the memory, maybe."

Sorry to hear you're having so many troubles. I hope you can work through them.

Just wondering... have you tried doing a build using Tier 2?
Jeonkz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2013 23:59
Thx.
Having some issues but fixing.
Yeah, already thought about changing to T2,
but to use T2 Im need to redo almost everything.

I'm going to put in standby for a month or two
while I work in another projects for some clients.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:06:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:06:13