Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Importing 3d models from Digital photos

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am new to FPS Creator and am teaching some kids how to use it. I would like to show them how to import a 3D model of themselves into the game from multiple photos of themselves.

1. I understand that FPS takes .X files with DDS or TGA texture files. So I used Autodesk 123D Catch to create an OBJ file from the photos and used Blender to convert to a .X format.
2. I copied the .X file to the entities\user folder in FPS install directory. But I see that it needs an fpe and bmp file as well.

I am not even sure if I am doing this right. But can anyone point me in the right direction, so the kids can import themselves in to the game.
Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
Cheer,
Heather
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 03:53
you will likely get better response in the models and media board on the fpsc section, this area is more general and related to the modelling programs than any particular game engine.

not having used fpsc myself, i think people usually make a new fpe file by copying an existing fpe then changing the relevant file references in a text editor.

Shazam!
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2013 10:55
Heather,

Firstly, create a folder in the entitybank and call it whatever you want the model called.

Place your .x file in there.

go to one of the other entity folders and copy one of the .fpe files.

Navigate back to your models folder and paste the .fpe in there.

Open the .fpe with notepad and change the relevant details.

Model name
Texture name

Then create a 64x64 image that will let you know which model it is. (take a screen shot in your modelling software and shrink it down in paint or GIMP or photoshop)

Then, make sure all three file are called the same, (you don't have to call it My_Model, this will get confusing for you. I would name it whatever the childs name is)

My_Model.x
My_Model.fpe
My_Model.bmp

If you have done this properly, you should then be able to open FPSC and go to the entitybank and choose your model.

Ortu is correct though, this board is only for 3D modelling software related chat as well as serving as a WIP thread.

If you have any questions, you would get more responses posting this in the Models and Media board.

Welcome to the forums!

Unfamillia

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 19:57:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 19:57:45