Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / How to have cinematic control of the player while preventing users controlling the player?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 06:20
What I'm looking for is some method to prevent the player from controlling the in-game player and while letting scripted cinematic events unfold unaffected. In my situation, I'm simply trying to stop the player controlling the character as the character moves into a new room. So what I did was make a script that moves the character forward a little and then gives control back to the player. However, this is where I run into problems. I'm using v120 beta 17, by the way.

At the moment, I can sort-of achieve what I'm after. I use plrforcemove=1 on a timer, combined with plrpointatobject=1 and camrotationon=0 attached to an entity. I set an entity where I want the player to move towards and the timer cuts off the movement. One issue is that when I move the mouse the camera still reacts to the mouse, only it stays glued to entity, which creates a glitchy movement. This is only if I move the mouse while in this setup, however.

What I'm wondering is if there is a better option that I'm missing that allows me to take control (cinematically) over the player and prevent player input from interrupting that. If anyone knows anything helpful that would be fantastic.

Thanks,
Burger

- An Instinctive Fear IndieDB page, download demo today!
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 13:21
@Burger
There currently isn't a way to disable mouselook, it's something I'll look into adding to the community mod reboot though.

-TZK

Burger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 14:17
Quote: "There currently isn't a way to disable mouselook, it's something I'll look into adding to the community mod reboot though."

That's great to hear. I have work arounds in my game as it is but it isn't a solid method. I thought it was a little strange that there is no simple way to control the player through scripting while the user can't, but whatever, I'm not complaining.

- An Instinctive Fear IndieDB page, download demo today!
The Zombie Killer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 15:39
@Burger
I've added this feature to the community mod, it will be in the next test version. I wasn't going to release many tests for this new edition of the mod, but because I'm nice, I'm going to anyway

-TZK

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 23:23:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 23:23:11