Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [Wolfs Guide to FPSC] -Episode3- {Getting Modelpack 6 and 28 weapons shader-ready}

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 11:44
This tutorial is suitable for : Beginners

What you need:
Basic knowledge : Shadermaps and art software
Some Art/imageediting software
Fragmotion

Hey guys!

I somehow got myself into the situation where I promised to write another tutorial. Why did I do this??

Okay, here we go:

This tutorial will teach you how to make Modelpack 6 and 28 weapons shader ready. I've seen some of you use MP28 weapons with shaders regardless of the fact that it puts the weapontexture on the hands.
If you did this and didn't notice it, stop making games immediately!

The rest of you, enjoy:

Alright, so pay attention and hurry up! Go to the folder of the weapon you want to make ready. (its in your gamecore/guns folder in case you didn't know.) Export the gun, ammo (if present) and hand texture to your desktop. Make sure to save them in a format you can work with (like png or tga). If you dont have anything to convert a dds file with, download Irfan View! Hurry up!

Now open your artprogram. That is your gimp, paintshop, paint.net or photoshop. Make a new picture with the dimensions of 2048*1024. Import all the nice textures you just saved on your desktop and place them in the new picture you just created. Your result should look like this:

As you can see, I chose the MP6 Sporting 12 for this tutorial.

Save this file and make a normal and specular map of it. How you do this is not part of this tutorial, because it has been covered numerous times before and information about it can be found all over the internet. We are moving on:

Now copy (you dont cut and paste) the HUD.x from your chosen guns folder and save it on your desktop. You open it with fragmotion.

Now, unless you are experienced with this software, you dont do anything but the things I tell you. You can screw up an animated model really fast in 3D software like this! Dont play around with the vertices or bones. Especially not if you dont know what these are.

There should be a menue on your right where you will select "Model". (the small red-outlined square)
Scroll down to materials. Delete them all (this isnt necessary as you could replace the texture in the materials but we will do it for convenience here.)

Hurry up!

Now you click on texture and delete everything here too. Now right click, new, texture.

Import the texture you just made here. Now rightclick on the texture and chose "create material using texture".

Now you direct your mousecursor to the upper left corner and select "edit, select all, all". Everything in your 3D preview windows should appear in a red color. Click on Model and select our newly created material. Rightclick and "assign to selection". Fast!

Good job!

Now you will chose the "select group" option in your tools menue. Thats also on the right side of your screen. Select the arms, the gun or whatever part of the gun you want to edit first.

Hurry up!

Click on "texture" at the upper left corner. Select "UV Mapper".

This will open a simple and convenient UV Mapper.

Keep in mind that once you screwed up your UVs, it can be a real pain in the backside to get them back to how they where. Dont mess around here,greenhorn.

On the bottom of the screen should be a dropdown menue where you can select the texture you want to work on.

Do it.

Now you probably already guessed what you will do. You will align your UV with the texture. This does not need to be pixel-perfect but should be done carefully! You can always check the 3D preview in fragmotion if you have done everything right. Once you are done with first group make sure to deselect your selection in the UVMapper (click on an empty space. Make sure nothing is highlighted red) before you select a new group in your 3D preview. Repeat the process until all the UVs are done.

Your result should look like this:

You shouldnt need more than 10 to 15 minutes for this, greenhorn! Hurry up!

You can now export your gun as a .x file (the .dbo exporter never really worked for me). Make a security copy of the old HUD and replace it. Remove the old textures in your guns folder (to a security copy folder) and copy in the new ones. You can convert them to .dds files but you dont have to.

Set the new textures up in your gunspec file. (you can open it with notepad)
Not all shaders need you to note in the shader files aswell. This is often enough:

"textured = gun_d2.dds
effect = effectbank\weapon2.fx"

If you have trouble, not the other shadertextures:

"textured = gun_D.dds
texturen = gun_N.dds
textures = gun_S.dds
effect = effectbank\weapon.fx"

Replace .dds with your fileformat if you didnt convert to .dds.

Alright! Now test your gun! Enjoy the funky and shiny shadorz

Good job, Greenhorn!

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get stronger. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 12:00
Good tut' and thanks, I do the same thing but I'm using Milkshape 3D, then I export my modified mesh with with Fragmotion

"I like to keep this handy, for close encounters."
danieleman
Years of Service
User Offline
(Offtopic)

Quote: "I somehow got myself into the situation where I promised to write another tutorial. Why did I do this?"

Because you are nice guy.

(Ontopic)

I'm gonna try this tutorial.Thanks for this superb tutorial Wolf,this is most useful info for old and new fpsc user.THANKS AGAIN!!!!

MY ENGLISH IS NOT GOOD LIKE YOURS.
seppgirty
FPSC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2013 17:42
Great tutorial Wolf! Book marking it now.

gamer, lover, filmmaker
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2013 21:29
Good tutorial Wolf. Thank you.
You'd be surprised how often I refer to these
and your others. Thanks
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2013 23:08
Glad you like it!

Its nice to read that my tutorials are of use to some of you

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get stronger. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Handy Guide as always Wolf many thanks

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by pledging now :- http://vishnu.chipin.com/vishnu
Belacios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2013 19:07
Whoa, awesome Wolf. Thanks for that!
I thought you forgot about this tutorial.
It surely helped me A LOT! (with the shaders, and understanding a little more about how to use Fragmotion).

Thanks again!

http://www.indiedb.com/games/sem-sada-no-way-out
Madcow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2013 14:30
I would like to add something, the same thing can be did with weapons from MP9 and 10

"I like to keep this handy, for close encounters."
Acmeman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2013 19:21
This is the hardest thing in the history of hardest things in the world.

I kind of understand how to do it but it's driving me to the point of insanity

Swag syndrome-Harmful disease that is spread through music, TV, and media. Subjects of swag syndrome try their hardest to imitate celebrities and live their lives as if they are rich and famous.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 05:46:21
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 05:46:21