Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Survival Horror Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2013 07:32 Edited at: 29th Jul 2013 07:38
Hey everyone, just a little preface before I talk about the game. I haven't been on the forums in awhile, some of you may remember Revenge, Immortal Guardian, etc from awhile back. Probably not
Check out my website to refresh your minds http://www.biofoxgames.com

This is a survival horror game much like Resident Evil. The premise of the game is basically you wake up in your motel room to find a zombie outbreak. Survive the night and escape. I'll go ahead and say RE1 was a huge influence in the direction of this game. The controls, static cameras, and inventory system are staples of the franchise and I've wanted to emulate the old games for some time. At this point, there are no enemies and the demo is very very short. Try to find the key that unlocks to the last door in the hallway at which point the game will close.

I have a working beta (attached) that I've been putting together for three or four weeks now, and while there's still much left to do I thought I would share what I have so far.

Controls
WASD- movment
Shift + S- 180 reverse
Arrow keys- inventory cursor controls
Enter- Inventory select
Shift- Exit Inventory
Space- Examine/Pick up object/Open door

*Note* Try to examine objects in the game as well as using the inventory options when you have acquired an item. Keys also automatically open a door when you press space since the "Use" option is not yet implemented.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
xCatalyst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2013 19:55
Niiice. Resident evil-style, I'd like to see where this goes!

SamKM
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks amazing, well done
I'll definately give it a play... Is it made in DBPro?
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2013 01:22 Edited at: 30th Jul 2013 01:22
Thanks guys, my next step will be adding zombies to the map. I already have some ai code written but I need to work on handling their collision- it really lagged the game down before. Also, you may notice the player model is borrowed from DarkMatter. Static models I'm good at but I've never rigged anything for animation, and I may be asking for direction with that in the future...

@SamKM, yes this is made in DBPro. The map was made using 3D World Studio but most of the textures are from CG Textures http://www.cgtextures.com/. However, the bed, laptop, picture frame, and all the items were modeled and textured by me in Blender and Photoshop CS3.

If anyone's interested I can explain how I handled all the cameras and examination spots or give more details on the inventory system. I may do so anyways in a later post because I think some of what I came up with is pretty cool.

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2013 01:52
this looks interesting, can't wait to see more

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2013 14:44 Edited at: 30th Jul 2013 14:49
Looking good so far, I really like These Kind of games.

edit:
The new world map for my game is a bit like this, but with smooth camera moves from spot to spot ( sometimes the camera follows the Player a bit),
also my art style and the theme is completly different from yours and I still Need to write the inventory System for it.

Don3784
Years of Service
User Offline
Very cool. Love me some re. Keep at it.
DARKHALO2K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2013 23:44
Resident Evil is a favourite of mine, and this is looking good so far. Keep up the good work! I look forward to seeing more.
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2013 04:45 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2013 05:30

Added a medical pack to the items list. Also working on AI, which is certainly going to be a challenge. The code I'm working with right now has the enemy move towards the player unless the map is in the way. When the raycast I use detects an obstacle it moves to the nearest waypoint in order to go around. However, the collision slows the game down quite a bit and I'm thinking if I want to have somewhat smarter AI that aren't "dumb" zombies (ie zombies dogs or other terrible creatures) then I may want to take a crack at Iam's A* functions. Any thoughts on alternatives or people's experience using those functions? I'll post a video soon of what my AI is doing so far.

(EDIT)

Here's the AI test video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuPSvvIOF2Q

The framerate is only slowed down by Fraps, actually. With one zombie in the room there's no lag at all, however, more than one slows the game down. I'm pretty happy with the path finding so far and now I need to add in the enemies attacks.

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
If you only use small rooms, you could put waypoints in your map, that the Zombies use to get from room to room.

I use a System similar to your aproach on homing enemies in my game, however I just detect for static collision on the way from enemy to Player, without using the raycast effect and hadn´t any Trouble with it, even when there where many enemies on the Screen.

I suggest using the waypoint aproach on the large scale ( for Zombies to get from room to room ) and on the small scale, when the Zombie is inside the room, the Player is in, use static collision detection similar to raycast ( I never used raycast, so I don´t know how Performance intensive this is ).

nrasool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2013 17:49
Hey there

Quote: "If anyone's interested I can explain how I handled all the cameras and examination spots or give more details on the inventory system. I may do so anyways in a later post because I think some of what I came up with is pretty cool."

Please, I would like to know how you did this, especially with placement of inventory and logic in the puzzles. Plus camera system, as I'm trying to code a similar game, but no zombies

A Good Programmer never blames his tools
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Great job! I like how your room turned out. Not sure if it matters but it seems under the bed there's no shadow. If you need help with rigging do ask, those of us that knows it should be willing to share. You can always youtube a tutorial on how to do it as well. Looking forward to seeing more.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 17:20:19
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 17:20:19