Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Any tutorials on directional lighting with shadow mapping?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2013 15:40
Like the title suggests I'm currently looking for a comprehensible tutorial on how to accomplish per-pixel directional lighting along with generating a shadow map to go with such a light source. The shadowing seems to be the general problem as just directional lighting tutorials are relatively plentiful on the internet.

Googling for it yields surprisingly unhelpful results for the most part, all from forum posts describing it merely as "the easiest type of lighting / shadowing - you can figure that out yourself if you're worth your salt", to tutorials that are based on a huge framework that has been built throughout 40+ previous tutorials in a series. Or ones that use GLSL or DirectX 11-specific functionality.
Ideally I'd like to see a to-the-point tutorial using DirectX 9 since that's what I have to work with in DBP. If there are any functions required that aren't exposed in DBP I'm fairly confident I could hack something together to access those anyway, but I can't add OpenGL or DirectX 10 / 11 support to a DirectX 9 engine.
So I was wondering if anybody around here knew of any such texts?

Oh, and I'm well aware that Evolved "has already solved all this" - but I want a somewhat lighter solution that I can understand and thus later on modify myself to my suiting.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Rudolpho

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2013 16:08
I've eventually managed to end up with this:

It looks decent I guess (lots of surface acne though) but I was thinking that there must be a way to get more detail for the shadow map by only rendering the area that can currently be seen by the main camera. Or am I wrong?
Currently I'm rendering the whole scene from a imagined sun's position to a 4096x4096 image and utilizing 25-texel percentage closer filtering. Still so the shadows are very blocky.

Also I know how to create an orthographic projection matrix for the depth-rendering camera, but it is a mess to align that properly.
Do anybody know how to position such a camera so that it points in the same direction as the directional light from any given position?
Basically all I've managed to do with it is move it a certain distance from (0, 0, 0) along one axis and then rotate it in some "panorama-like" way.
Or should I just use a standard camera (as was done in the above screenshot)? Maybe increase the fov a bit?

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Inflictive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2013 20:06
It looks like you've pretty much got it. As for the position of the camera, it can be positioned just about anywhere as long as it is looking in the same direction as the light source. In your pixel shader you need to have a case where no shadow is rendered if the pixel is outside of the shadow camera.

You can sort of only render shadows in view by putting the shadow camera in front of the main camera, then moving it in the direction of the light source (so it "looks down on" the part of the scene which is in front of and close to the main camera, not the entire scene). Then to keep it from flickering with small movements of the main camera you round the shadow camera's position to the nearest 10,10,10 or something.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 7th Aug 2013 21:27
Quote: "In your pixel shader you need to have a case where no shadow is rendered if the pixel is outside of the shadow camera."

A better way to do it is to use the BorderColor option in the shadow map sampler. Something like this (you'll need to choose appropriate names and values for your application of course):