Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / The Joys (or Lack Thereof) of Scripting with Bond1's GCS Seeker...

Author
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Elite: Dangerous
Posted: 16th Aug 2013 01:37
Hello all,

So, I am working on this game of mine (naturally ), and in it I want Bond1's Seeker to chase the player around the level until he is killed; I want him to have a the MP53 (Task Force 341) knife (I originally wanted to use Blade Seeker, but for some reason Bond1 retired him so I am using a knife instead to keep gameplay interesting). When the player is close (ie, 50-200), Seeker will walk towards the player. When farther away (ie, 200+) Seeker will run to the player.

All that is pretty simple. I got the script pulled together, gave him the appropriate weapon - and then ran into problems. First, Seeker would play the walk animation, but wouldn't go anywhere. Second, he would play no melee animation when he should have. Frustrated after several tests with Seeker's lack of animation for the melee when I had the proper scripting in place, I finally took Seeker into a simple debug level I made, and made two copies of Seeker: one had his default script (seekerpace.fpi), designed to serve as a control, and the other had the stock script melee10.fpi. Neither had a weapon.

In the test, the control faced me and proceded to pretend he was throwing a grenade at me, as all FPSC characters do when they're instructed to use their weapon but were not given one in the Editor. In other words, he played the animation I wanted him to play earlier. The other Seeker also worked as expected - he walked up to me and followed my every move - until it came time to use the melee animation. He just stood there and deducted damage from me. When I finally checked Seeker's FPE, I realized that Seeker does not have a melee animation setup in the FPE (anim 8) Yet the control was doing a melee attack/grenade throw just fine.

So the question is, what animation set do I use for the grenade throw/melee animation used by the control?

Also, Bond1's script for Seeker, seekerpace.fpi, works terribly. When spawned at the start of a level, he calls out his intro sounds ("Intruder alert!") and stands there, even if the player is viewable at a distance. He is not supposed to call out the sound until the player is seen (and he always does it regardless of whether or not the player can be seen), and he does not walk waypoints even though he is supposed to be able to. Also, I have noticed that when he tries to shoot me, both with the knife and with any firing weapon, he shoots BEHIND himself. If I stand in that line of fire, I will take damage, but that involves getting behind him and between him and the wall (not hard to do). I know Bond1 is a very good scripter by any standard, so this seems unusual. It can't be the computer; I've tested it on two different computers (Windows Vista on a Dell and Windows 8 on a Lenovo) and I get the same results both times

Can anyone recommend any suggestions to either problem?

Thank you,
Captain Coder

As a believer in Jesus Christ, I am trying to use my passion for game creation for His glory.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 05:10:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 05:10:35